3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Haines, Alaska  (Read 284 times)

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
Haines, Alaska
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
what can anyone tell me about living there and the hunting?

thanks
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Haines, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Brian I lived in North Pole almost 30 years ago and drove by Haines once or twice a year.  When I was there I believe there was a gas station / general store.  

The area is rolling hills to what I would call mountainess by my flatland standards.  Lots of forrest and wild critters to go with it.  I don't know if caribou were there but moose, black bear, grizzle and wolf were common.  

Small game included grouse, hare and patarmagin.

Of course that was a long time ago and I might be thinking of the wrong place.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I've been through Haines a couple of times and spent the night there once.  If I wanted to live in a small Alaskan town off the beaten path but still be on the road system, I'd pick Haines in a heartbeat over most of the contenders.  Lots of good outdoor opportunities nearby and none of the tourist crap that comes with Skagway.  Kluane National Park in Yukon is up the highway from Haines and is one fabulous spot.

A columnist for the Anchorage Daily News lives in Haines.  Her name is Heather Lende, and her stuff would give you a good taste of life there.  Her columns appear at  http://www.adn.com/life/lende/

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
I think Pac is confused with Haines Jct., which is in the Yukon Territory. Haines, Alaska is on the upper end of Lynn Canal in Southeast Alaska. A person can get by there o.k. There are moose, brown bear and mountain goats in the area. If you go a little bit south, you can hunt sitka blacktail.

Like eidsvolling said, you are connected to the rest of the continent by a road, unlike Juneau, so you can easily "get out of Dodge" if you want too.

Haines is an interesting town. I don't know what the split is, but it tends to be a bit too "green" for my liking. Juneau is getting that way, too. That crowd doesn't have too much common sense, but a lot of emotions!
Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
Yep I believe I was thinking of Heely,  Like I said it was a long time ago.  Now I'll have to get a map out to refresh my memory.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
OK I looked at a map and I did drive through Haines Junction once in 1988 when I drove the Alcan hwy back to the lower 48.  I knew it sounded familiar.

I also know where the Nebesna mountains are now too.  I went on a fly in trip for grizzly there but until tonight I really had no idea where I was in the state other than near Tok.

Alaska was great when I was young and bullet proof.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
thanks guys for the info. I have done a little research but I would like to hear as much as I can from a hunters perspective.

keep'em comeing guys, it's all good to know!

thanks
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by akbowbender:
That crowd doesn't have too much common sense, but a lot of emotions!
Sounds like the anti's...
  :knothead:  
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Bakes -- you must be talking about the anti-wolf crowd!  :D

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
driving through there in a couple of weeks back to fairbanks.  Will try and snatch up a few photo's for you.

As for hunting brownies mt goats and deer are your three big ones that I can think of.   Never hunted there, likely never will.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I can remember about 45 years ago being slightly under the influence and swinging on a trapeze and singing along with Hank Locklen in a bar in Haines. Those were good times.  ;)  Haines is one of the places I always wanted to live. They used to have a strawberry festival there every spring, the strawberries were as big as your hand. I am sure Alaska is a lot different today.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
I used to live in Fairbanks and a short stint in the bush on the Kandik river.  

From what I've seen, most small towns are pretty good for living conditions.  Then again, there are some that are so small and so, ah, different, that you need to be pretty careful when selecting a place.

Actually I liked Fairbanks.  Big enough for all the "normal city things", yet a good jumping off point for adventure.  A bit cold in the winter though...

In my old age I think a good strategy is to figure out what you like to do in life.  Then find a place where you can do it and move there.  

If Haines has what you're looking for, go for it.

It's normally the things we DON'T do that we regret later in life...

todd smith
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Amen Todd , well put brother. I can tell you however sometimes we regret the things we do as well as dont do. Listen to you " old age "hah!
Nice thing about Haines as said before is the road , you can get out easily if you want to .
Great places to go around Haines as well, get a boat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©