3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bears & Cougars in Iowa  (Read 363 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bears & Cougars in Iowa
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I attended my annual in-town deer hunting seminar which is required to hunt these special hunts. The DNR wildlife biologist said there have a few been recent sightings of bears and cougars here in east central Iowa. He said that, "...according to Iowa law, bears and cougars do not exist. Therefore, if you see one you may shoot it."

The LEO in charge of the city hunt did add that he better not get a call about a wounded cougar in his town, especially if he was expected to go after it.

This is posted as a FYI if you live or just hunt in Iowa and the situation comes up - bears and mountain lions do not exist here.

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bears & Cougars in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Hi Shaun,
        My wife and I bought a small acreage north of Burlington 3 years ago. Ive had two people tell me that they have seen a cougar in this area. A woman who owns a dairy south of me says she saw one running across the field behind my house! I tried to tell her it was probably a yote.I got a stern look and a "I know what I saw".Also a husband & wife claimed one ran across the road while they were in their Jeep.I know I shure would like to see one. Dont know if I would shoot it or not.         Tom

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Ive heard rumors about cougars here near Ft Dodge as well as down near my lease in Davis County but this is the first Ive heard of bears.  Im not sure what I would do with the opportunity if I did see one but it sure would be interesting.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
When I taught school in Greenfield(6 years ago), there were several sightings just west near the Nodaway river(photos of tracks, too).

There almost has to be bears in NE IA near the Mn line, it's perfect habitat and few people. I used to fish up there a lot
on North Bear Creek.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
It's different here in Mo....They claim we don't have cougars, do claim the bears....won't let us shoot either one!!!  If we shoot a cougar, and they find out, we'll git a ticket...how can we git a ticket for shooting sumptin we don't have???!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Up here we've gone to "Young males passing thru...." on the cougars...........

What do you all think?? ??
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Looks like somebody put a Snuffer through something.  :scared:    :scared:

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
I have personaly seen 3 cougars in Mo. I reported the sightings (witnessed) to the Mo. DNR ! The first one was a road kill just east of Jefferson Mo. And the other two were just north and east of Buffalo, Mo.

There have been several supposed sigtings of a cougar on Iowa City's west side. Several confirmed rosd kills have taken place in wesrern Iowa in the last few years.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:20:00 AM »
Last year the day before opening day of deer season, I saw FIVE cougar cubs together on the shoulder of a rural highway in the Loess Hills.

I hunt from the ground and get a little nervous when I'm scrunched down behind a sheet of camo burlap and blowin' a fawn bleat!
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline mrkbsm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Up here in the NW corner of the state I know of a neighbor that swears he saw a cougar 2 years ago while doing fall tillage at night.  Likely a relatively young one, as it appeared to hang out at the edge of his headlights and watch him run the tractor.  A couple weeks later he took on the job of tearing out small trees on the edge of that same field and found a couple trunks that looked like they had been clawed up by a big cat sharpening its claws.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©