3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new in town, help getting started  (Read 357 times)

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
new in town, help getting started
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Gang,
This site is amazing, so glad I stumbled into it.  I am somewhat new to trad archery, i have a redwing hunter at 45# that i found in the rafters at the house my dad bought when i was ten, never even knew it was right handed until college when i was forced to take a gym class, one of which was archery.  i have been shooting the bow since then, and love it.  using 2018's and they seem to fly right.  i just pulled the bow out for the first time in a couple years and have been shooting for a week or so, 20 yard group in a 12 inch circle with occasional flyer.  i am very interested in becoming a better instinctive shooter and had a few questions.
1.  what does "stack" mean, in archery terms?
2.  what is an acceptable group at 20yards to warrant allowing myself to bow hunt with this bow?
3. is this bow worth anything? is it worth learning on or am i wasting my time with it?
4.  i don't use a glove or tabs, is this bad?  should i get a glove will it help accuracy?
5.  what is the max responsible range for this type of bow and poundage?
thanks gang!
Aaron

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new in town, help getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Aaron welcome to the board, camp fire is warm sit down a relax a bit with us. Glad to hear you are enjoying shooting your bow,  It's a fine bow by the way. You will want to check your hunting reg's in your state to see what # is minimum. It is legal for deer here in AZ. I would check the bow for cracks and the limbs to make sure that they are not delambing. I dought that they are but It might need a new string. A bow generally pulls 2 to 3#'s per inch of draw the stacking occures when it starts pulling 3 to 5 #'s of draw. A glove or tab will help your fingers and maby be a little more consistant. How many arrows do you a day or so?? As far as range keep hitting the pie plate that will tella for now out to 25 yards.

Glad to have ya here

blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Stew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
A bow stacking simply means the bow draws an even weight for so many inches then all the sudden increases in draw weight per inch. For example,
If you are drawing a bow and it draws 2 lbs per inch but when you get to 20 inches it jumps to 5 lbs per inch.

A good 20 yard group is achieved by working on proper form and perfecting it. A 3 arrow group within a 4 inch circle is pretty darn good, IMO.

But, in hunting, it is the 1st arrow that counts. If you wish to be a good shot while hunting, then work on your form at 5 yards. Work on instinctive shooting at different unkown yardages. One arrow, one shot. Move to the next shot. That's why I feel stumping is a great way to learn and become a proficient traditional shooter.

A 20 yard shot, easily achieved if YOU have the skill and ability to make it. Just takes practice and good hunting ethics. If the shot doesn't feel good, no matter what the distance, then don't take it. Simple as that.

That's a great bow to learn on. Not worth much.

A glove or tab is used to protect your fingers from the string. Some tabs are made to allow a cleaner release but, still protect your fingers.

A 45# bow will effectively harvest a deer. Use a 450 to 500 grain arrow with a razor sharp broadhead and put the arrow in the vitals.

Best of luck to you.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
20 steps or closer is about where you want to be at the shot on a deer size animal. Getting close is what Traditional bowhunting is all about...

Welcome to the gang. Great place to learn when getting started.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Double A, welcome aboard. Your set up is fine. Keep practicing. I would check the bow for limb twist besides looking for any cracks. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
when i shoot i think i generally end up shooting about 25-35 arrows.  is that too many?  as far as form goes, anytime i try to slow the whole process down and focus on following thru, or the release, or trying to hold the draw for even a few seconds, it seems to throw everything out of wack.  when i just shoot totally instinctively, it seems to be somewhat of a snap shot, but the arrows seem to fly truer.  this must mean i need to just shoot more.  any good resources for observing and studying proper form?  i really have no idea what mine looks like, its just what happened when i started shooting.  what does ttt mean in many of the posts?

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
If you're shooting well and seem to be satisfied, don't change much of anything.  Try to attend some shoots in your area and watch and learn.

ttt = To The Top (Puts the thread back at the top of the list)

Welcome to the campfire.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Aaron : Where are you in western New York , I'm in Dansville . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Double A
25-30 arrows a sitting isn't too much, you'll notice your group spreading out as you get tiered, stop before your accuracy goes to hell. Personally I shoot my 50# bow about 50-60 times a setting and I shoot almost every day. Sometimes I'll drop down to a 40#, then the wife's 35#, and finally my 25# bunny bow if I want too keep shooting without losing accuracy. 3D shoots are a excellent way too gage your abilities and whether it's time to head out for deer. Also I strongly recommend you hunt small game first, big difference between hitting a target and taking a life. BTW I feel it is a hunters moral obligation to use as much of anything he kills as he can, if the idea of eating a rabbit doesn't work for you try practicing with a Nerf ball, just have someone roll it along the ground for you.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©