3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which first trad bow? Mild R/D or Hybrid?  (Read 529 times)

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Which first trad bow? Mild R/D or Hybrid?
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Well, I have spent the last couple of months trying to learn what I can about Trad Archery and want to purchase my first bow.  The large number of excellent bowyers out there makes the decision difficult to say the least.  Need some input.  For someone starting out should I go with a mild or hybrid R/D?  I know this is largely subjective and varies person to person but I cannot make up my mind.  Thanks in advance.  Craig.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which first trad bow? Mild R/D or Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
if you are talking handle I think it depends most if you like a high wrist or low rist. If you are talking limb design I prefer R/D.  you will be pleased either way. shoot a few before you jump into a full custom bow.
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Do you want a 58-62" bow or a 64-68" bow?  If you want the shorter one then you will need the hybrid/highly R/D type of bow.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Come to the ASTB shoot in Brierfield State park the 13-14th of this month.  Lynn Harrelson, a  sponser here, will be there.  He makes a sweet mild R/D long bow called a Kolomi.  He usually has a couple of models he lets people try.  You can see a picture of one on the Sponsers' Classified.  You are not too far from Arley, John Sullins at Sipsey River has a lot of new and used bows.  I'll be at the shoot, I'll have Hills and a Turkey Creek I'll let you try.  Bill

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
I'd like to see you keep to the tradition. I like keeping to the simple lines and elegance of same and following what the Europeans do.  If you want to shoot a longbow in competition:the hybrids aren't even allowed in longbow competition-longbows must maintain: "a continuous "D" shape when strung, and be not cut past center" Following this rule, one of OL's "longbows" was allowed to compete in the RECURVE class! I agree. That being said, I LOVE some of the hybrids-I just hate to see a WAY pushed forward, long, pistol grip, riser, Delta shaped bow, called a longbow when it isn't. It's a hybrid-some of them truly excellent bows! Some Tradganger said it best: "Hybrids are for people who want to shoot a longbow without having to actually shoot a longbow!" IMHO   :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
I appreciate the input thus far.  I hope to attend at Brierfield in a couple of weeks.  I wonder if Mr.  Harrelson will have any left hand bows?  The Mohawk Longbows have really caught my eye.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I don't know what he plans to bring, his phone # is on his web page, down at the bottom.  I did't know you were left handed, my bows are all rightys.  I do have several self bows you can shoot if you are interested?  One is a flatbow and one is an English Long Bow type.  John Sullins, Sipsey River Archery, is also a sponser and has a lot of left hand bows.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
get a recurve...  : )

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
ttt

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
If you can make it to an organized shoot/trad archery get to together, try out all the bows you can.

The one that feels best to YOU is one I would think you would be the most happy with.

I'm sure that any bowyer worth his salt will go out of his/her way to set you up with a bow that is "right" for you.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
id say get a bow with a high wrist grip, makes things easier with constistency in the grip for the beginner,

Bear Grizzlys will suit this need great.  But any bow with a recurve style grip will do fine.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©