3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: attaching field points ??  (Read 531 times)

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
attaching field points ??
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
okay guys whats the best way to attach field points to a wood shaft i have tried duco, and two ton expoxy which seem to get brittle and then the point comes out in the target i have also tried ferr-l-tite which also came off.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: attaching field points ??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I use Hot melt glue sticks and Ferrell tite, the main thing is to clean the inside of the point with acetone or similar this will insure a good bond. Nothing is fool proof, you will still loose points from time to time.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
What I've done to get them to hold good was to tap the inside of the point with a NPT 1/16-27 pipe tap to give the point a few threads and clean with alocohol.I use a hot melt stick not the amber ferrel lite,I find it becomes too brittle after a bit of time.I like a white(colored) hot melt,I still use some Bohning's Stik-tite.I don't believe they still make it.You won't find a 1/16 pipe tap in your local hardware store,I got mine from my brother he's a machinist.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I use 2 part epoxy on mine and they never (knock on wood) come off. Hope I'm not sorry I said that!  :knothead:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
i use ferrule -tite with good results
the trick is to clean the inside of the point with acetone or rubbing alcohol heat the ferrule tite apply to the taper  and heat till its boiling and apply a slightly heated tip and dip in cold water
i still loose one from time to time but it takes a lot of abuse to jar them loose

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
I have used Devcon Epoxy for years now.  The main thing is to clean the points.  They are full of machine oil, nothing will stick to it.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Learned this from Howard Hill's nephew Stinson. Heat the ferr-L-tite and smear a little on the shaft taper. Holding the point with pliers, heat it until it smokes. I use a butane torch. That gets rid of any residual oil. Push the shaft into the hot point fimly, and rotate it while applying pressure to spread the glue. Then push the point into a hard surface, holding the shaft close to the point and bearing down hard to seat the point. If it's still hot enough to slip, blow on it. Immerse the end of the shaft in cold water to cool and contract the point onto the shaft. If you use the right amount of glue, there will be a rim of it around the edge of the point to peel off.

You will almost never lose one doing it this way.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I always use Ferrule-Tite. Never had any problems.

Bill

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
The key is the points have oil inside the target point and you have to clean them first. I  then use a torch and then ferrule -tite...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
I drill a small (1/16") hole in the side of the point & use Devcon epoxy. I've never lost one yet, since I started doing this.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
I have started using Gorrilla glue. no heat to put them on, have never lost a single one and best of all its heat reversible.I tried just about everything else but was occasionally losing heads until I started using this..even use it on my broad heads...if there is any draw-back to using this...I havnt found it...
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Ferrell Tite, Sterno, and pliers.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I do it like Don
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©