3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Loudest bow I ever heard  (Read 825 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
The Loudest bow I ever heard
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I was in Ohio this week end for the OSTA state shoot had a great time. Sun we shot the second range. We shot in frount of a guy shooting a DAS. That thing was so loud that you could hear it from one targer back. I have a 15 year old Onida in the barn that aint that loud. And he had limbsavers and all on it. I am sure they are great bows but man! Never heard a bow that loud.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Loudest bow I ever heard
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
hmmm weird

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Could have been several reasons. Since he was shooting target he may have been shooting the minimum weight arrows (I believe 6gpp). That would make for a loud bow. The ones I've had when tuned for hunting and using 9gpp and up have been quiet.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Could have been several reasons. Since he was shooting target he may have been shooting the minimum weight arrows (I believe 6gpp). That would make for a loud bow. The ones I've had when tuned for hunting and using 9gpp and up have been quiet.
You are most likley right.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
A lot of things can make a bow quiet or loud.I've got a DAS and shoot 7gpp very quiet with a 29 inch draw.I've also shot enough different bows to know what quiet is.

The DAS is just as good or bad as any other bow.It doesn't have any monopoly on quiet or loud.It just depends on how it is set up.

I've also got a DAS Elite target bow.The way I have it set up it is fairly loud.On that bow I don't care because I've never had foam to jump the string.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
Well either the person shooting it was not concerned with the sound or he had not tuned the bow to be quieter.My guess is he was shooting targets and did not care.Some guys don't mind shooting like that.The DAS can be as quiet or quieter than most recurves if that is your goal.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
Metal risers reverberate sound whereas wood absorbs it. The old bear Mag risers where noisy in comparison.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
I had a DAS and had a custom made padded loop endless,with limbsavers with silencers.I was a pretty quiet bow and a very tunable bow.I'm just a longbow man.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Same as any bow, take care to tune it correctly and it will be quiet.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
In answer to the original post, an old college friend used to have a Bear Whitetail II compound I think.  When he shot, it was darn near like a .22 short going off.  He could never lie to me about not getting any shots because even through 80 yds. of timber I could hear every one of his shots.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
The guy most probably was shooting an endless loop string. That is what David Souza puts on the DAS bows. I put one on my DAS Master and it was unacceptably loud for hunting--in my opinion. I made a flemish loop string out of D97 and paded the loops with Dacron, now it is as quiet or quieter than any recurve I have shot or been around...and I'm shooting about 7gpp.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Tom L
You may not be aware of the controversy surrounding the DAS.There are many people on the archery forums with bias either for or against DAS,or even metal riser bows in general.Don't be surprised if your observation draws more passionate responses than it would otherwise warrant.

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Guess you've never been around someone shooting a low braced bow with light arrows. Any bow set up in such a way will be loud. I've owned a DAS and have friends that use them for their main bow and as mentioned above they can be as quiet of noisy as you want, just like any other bow. We were pig hunting in 100+ degree weather and I was a little jealous of my buddy who's DAS had the foam/carbon limbs because they aren't affected by the heat like normal, pretty glass limbs. The bow has been left strung since he got it and takes some serious abuse. Try leaving a glass bow in your truck all day when it's over a 100 degrees out and see what happens.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
I wouldnt even leave a foam cored limb bow in my truck all day long in that kinda heat .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Just need to take the time and any bow can be made acceptably quiet for hunting! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by R H Clark:
Tom L
You may not be aware of the controversy surrounding the DAS.There are many people on the archery forums with bias either for or against DAS,or even metal riser bows in general.Don't be surprised if your observation draws more passionate responses than it would otherwise warrant.
I was not. It was a loud bow why I don't know. Never ment to upset anyone.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I thought that the DAS was so fast that they emitted sonic booms.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I think that when a bow is loud the bow needs to be tuned properly...Glenn...

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Just a little side note. I'm sure some guys who have this type of bow set up to punch foam, are using very minimal string silencing to eek out each and every FPS they can. These bows don't have to appeal to everyone, but I see no need to bash them. Bows are bows, if you don't like the looks of one type or another, then don't shoot it, but I see no need to bash the guys who enjoy shooting them.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
If the bow was loud it was loud, I cant see how that is bashing it. Shooting minmimal weight arrows shouldn't make a bow noisy if it is tuned correctly. The noise could be from the take down bots, you can apply thread seal tape to the bolts and that will quieten them down to buggery. How is the bow tillered, does it need adjustment? I use to import Sky TD bows into Australia and those bows very noisy but when thread seal tape was applied to the bolts they very quiet but I couldn't convince some people. I tend to think that if a bow is excessively loud then something needs to be looked at...Glenn...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©