3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help tuning a Howatt Hunter  (Read 360 times)

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Help tuning a Howatt Hunter
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I have an early 70's Howatt Hunter. It  seems to like a BH of 7-1/2=7-3/4". What I'm having trouble with is setting nock point. I started at 5/8" and got terrible arrow flight. The nock end of the arrow was kicking up at release. Started moving nock point up and once I got to around 7/8" high I began to get acceptable arrow flight. My question is if this is normal for the bow? On my Big River, Blacktails, Robertsons, etc...I typically get optimum flight with a nock point between 3/8"-5/8". Might I have a problem with this particular Howatt Hunter's tiller? Should I be building up the shelf or shooting off an elevated rest?

Thanks for the insight.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help tuning a Howatt Hunter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
i had one of those till it blew up on me. anyway it also liked a brace of 7 1/2" and i also found that i had to have a nockset 7/8" above the shelf to get good arrow flight. one thing that helped me was building up the shelf to around 3/16" to 1/4" high but only as wide as the arrow.(two pieces of double sided foam then velcro) this solved my problem of the rear of the arrow bouncing off the outside corner of the shelf. good luck
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I've owned and shot Howatts since before Martin bought them.  I've found that all but one of mine were tillered to shoot perfect using 3 under instead of split finger.  That being said, all of those bows required at least 7/8 nock points due to the high lower limb tiller.  I can honestly say that thy are one of the best bows I've ever owned including my custom bows.  I like big grips and high arrow shelfs.  I still kill deer with my 78# Hunter and have used arrows ranging from 2215's, 2216's, 2219's, laminated birch and cedars with equal flight.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Any more help?

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Even the newer ones seem to like the higher nock height, or at least mine do. It does look strange.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©