3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Do you guys do it??(pic)  (Read 1029 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How Do you guys do it??(pic)
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
This is my second season with traditional ONLY and passed on a deer last year (wish I wouldnt have done that)but it didnt feel right. I have shot plenty of deer in my compound days, and have came unglued LOTS of times due to pure excitment. Now with the confidence out to 20-22yards with my longbow, How Do I keep from coming UNGLUED if this guy comes through  :confused:    :eek:  We hunt in a marshy area, and its real thick. We had to cut lanes on Sun morning just so I cant try to walk in a little easier, and quietley.Im one of those guys that become unglued around a doe... How the heck am I supposed to keep it toghter around something like this?  :banghead:    :banghead:   I try to pick a spot, but traditional to me is 99% mental... If Im even lucky enough to get a crack at him....I just hope I have what it takes to seal the deal!!!!

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Do you guys do it??(pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Think of a time when you were the most calm and peaceful. Think of one word that you can say to yourself that takes you back there. When you feel yourself coming "unglued", repeat that word calmly to yourself and take deep calming breaths.
This is a simplistic version. Really, there's more to it. I have a book and tape.
Have you tried shooting at small game. I think that helps also.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
What ever you do DON'T look at the head gear!  You still have to pick a spot and have confidence you are going to hit that spot.  If you look at the head gear or the whole deer you gonna blow the shot.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Here's a thought that comes from 26 years of working emergency situations as a paramedic.  Don't think about what you are seeing.  Think about what you need to do.  Focus on the job at hand.  In EMS that meant tuning out the noise, the chaos, the blood and focusing on airway, breathing, circulation, stop major bleeding, etc.  There was a formula for what I had to do.  There is a formula for hunting, too.  In deer hunting it means ignoring the horns and focusing on that one spot you need to hit.  If you can do it on a foam deer or other inanimate target you can do it on the real thing.  Nothing about the shot is different provided you have practiced shooting from a position like that which you hunt from (ie: treestand or whatever).  Finally, unlike the situation in EMS where there is no choice but to act, in hunting you can always pass on the shot.  If you are too shaky or a shot you are comfortable with doesn't present itself let the deer go.  It's probably not like you are going to starve if you don't get this particular deer.  There's a huge difference between hunting and simple killing.  The privilege of seeing a deer like the one in the photos up close is a trophy in itself.
JMHO,
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
I agree John,  Its sure nice just to see him

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Hey Richard take me to where he lives and I'll show you bud.    :D

Seriously though, John gave you real solid advice.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
If you need help I'll come by and try!  Maybe a hands-on training session is in order... just kidding.  I like the k.i.s.s. approach.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  I try not to focus on the head, think just about "the spot", draw back, release, and follow through.  Let us know how it goes.

Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
I will definatley keep you guys informed...Personally this is the biggest 8 point I ever seen. I have a pic now ...thats a trophy in itself. Hope I do get a crack at him....God willing. Our place is one big bedding area, so Im not to sure what wind to hunt just yet, because Im not sure of his travel route

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
I agree with jhansen think of what needs to be done NOT what you see,after nearly 20 years as a practical nurse I have seen some things, and no you dont think about it while it is going on or you totaly lose it ,you have time for that afterwards.
keep em sharp and aim small!  :campfire:

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Pick your spot on the deers chest. Look at nothing else. Use good form and watch the broadhead split his hide... Then come unglued watching him run off to pile up 40 yards away.. LOL

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
i came unglued just looking at the pics  lol, good luck with that one!!   :archer:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
John Hansen, that was just about the best advice post  that I've ever read on here. I'm going to find a quote in there somewhere and keep it with me. Thanks.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Experience - the more times you are around deer like that the easier it becomes.  I'm not saying it doesn't still get the blood pumping, I'd quit hunting if it did.  But now days I am much calmer than when I first started hunting. I got some unexpected help with my nerves when our DNR started implementing earn-a-buck in several of the areas I hunt.  Never fails that when I need to shoot a doe, I'll have big bucks all around me. It helps to sit and watch nice bucks up close when you know you can't shoot them.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Beautiful animal, just focus on the edible parts and not the do-dads.You can look at those after the meat is in the freezer.Good Luck & have a safe season.  Leland

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I usually am good until after the encounter.  That is when I get rattled whether I killed the animal or missed completely.  If I find myself getting too excited prior to the shot, I tell myself that I probably won't get a shot, but I should be ready just in case.  THat usually calms me down.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
After 30 years of hunting.My heart beats so hard that i swear the deer is going to hear it. When i get close to a deer 1/2 that big. Just try to calm your self best you can.And remember Johns post. If you dont get tore up when a buck like that comes around what are you hunting for. Have fun, looking forward to reading about your hunt

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I like shooting at a 3d deer target the last month or so (and during the season).  It also helps me by shooting from treestands, etc.  It "trains" your mind that you have done this before so when bigboy steps in, you don't panic (as much).
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I stump alot and try not to think!!!!1

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I remember to breath alot!!  I talk to myself the whole way thru.  Best method I have found.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
You are SUPPOSED to come unglued.

If you have been practicing, and shooting well, then it comes down to focus, and concentrating on the spot to hit, just like jhansen said.

Confidence. Arrows fly perfectly. Broadheads sharp. Concentrate, draw, anchor, release, follow through.

Best of luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©