3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Self built hunting Canoes...?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self built hunting Canoes...?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I've never done a canoe but I built a kayak from a kit that I really like a lot.  It really moves along and I get compliments on it every time I take it out.  They have plans for a canoe too and Eric is great to deal with:  http://www.shearwater-boats.com/index.html

I've heard good things about the Pygmy kit too:   http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/taiga.asp

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I am building a pine strip canoe and have been working on it off and on for about 3 months it is a very time consumig project.(But definitley worth the time) This is my first and is finally begining to look like a canoe! To me there will be no greater joy than paddling down the river in the canoe I built!I would like to see some pics of yours when you get it finished
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Al, Go to southernpaddler.com and then go to Sparkeys Forum. Those guys are very helpful. It's like Trad Gang, except in the water. I'm looking for someone that can help me on building a dugout canoe. Good luck ! Make sure to show us pictures of the canoe and the ones with your big buck in it.
DR

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Last night on the discovery channel was a show called "Assemblie Required". They showed how a wooden canoe was being made. Very interesting, the braces are made from white cedar and the planking was made from western red cedar. They would steam the brace slats (white cedar) to around 260 degrees, and place them on a form and nail them down. The planking took 3500 brass tacks. The tacks would go into the wood and hit a steel mold and turn over. Next they covered with fiberglass that turned transparent and you would still see all the wood grain and pattern. Look's like a lot work but could be a lot of fun trying. Mark
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
the great thing about strip-built boats is that if you screw up you can pull a few strips off and go at it again. Stitch and glue plywood forces you to have to get it right the first time.      :)  

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
this totally sounds like something Ron LaClair would be interested in.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »
Thanks for all the posts and links fellas, something for me to look into and do some homework.

I'm more leaning towards the canoe as I've just watched a DVD on Ray Mears building one from scratch outa birch bark, he also did a canoe journey up north.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©