3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiet bows.....delivering the goods?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiet bows.....delivering the goods?
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
We continually see remarks about quieting down bows.  There always seems to be the utmost importance tied to having a whisper quiet shooter.  Some brands are even labeled as being loud and I see people warn others to stay away from them.  Which by the way...I'm suprised Widow's ever kill anything.   :D  

I'm just curious, how many guys here have their bows so quiet that a clean miss on a calm day will get them another shot at an animal?  Is that the ultimate goal?  

I can understand not wanting an obnoxious TWANG, but really...if you're doing your part as far as accuracy...at our close ranges why so much fuss.  I've yet to see any bow that a good ol pair of catwhiskers wouldn't hush enough for hunting in my opinion.

Is anyone here regularly getting second arrows on game?  I've had the opportunity on a few occasions when the wind covered my shot, but rarely otherwise.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiet bows.....delivering the goods?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Widows Noisy?? Mine are quiet  :confused:    :confused:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Quiet bow:    That should be a hyper link
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
i have been posting about my widow and geting it toned down a little, but its more for "jumping the string". I wouldn't expect another shot per say, but if need be....why not? i dont think its loud, but why not try to makeit quiet? cant hurt?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I don't stress too much about bow noise, other then a TWANG. My current go to bow is very quiet as it is. I wouldn't say I get second shots regularly, but have had my share when some thing went wrong the first shot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Second shots don't concern me as much as string jumping.  I do prefer the animals to not know what happened though.  My bows are very quiet.  I have had them practically run over me after the shot.  Other times I can shoot more than one in a group, because the others don't spook.  Many good things to say about a whisper quiet bow.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Apex,
Yes, I tried your recent Wool-Ease technique and it worked magnificently.  For less than $3, I've got enough stuff to probably silence all the bows I'm likely to own for the rest of my life.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Proper Brace Height
Arrows 8-10 grains per lb
Heavy Catwhiskers on the TS-1 Bowstring

Very Quiet......yes, I have gotten off a second shot on deer a few times. Thanks to my bows being quiet. My Groves Spitfire, dacron string and Whiskers is one of the quietest bows I own.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I obsess about a quiet bow.That's why I don't have any more Widows.I'm totally dedicated to my Toelke Whips because of quiet and how they shoot.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I love a quiet bow, but the only deer I've needed a second shot on was my first doe. I looked at the whole deer and dropped my candy in the dirt, lol. Shot right between her legs, the fletching tapped her in the side. She took a jump, stopped, and looked back to see what it was. Next arrow went right in the crease. Couldn't have done that with a loud bow, IMO.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I killed my first deer on the 3rd shot with a longbow.  :bigsmyl:  Quiet bows mean a lot more when hunting highly pressured whitetails than most other animals.The deer around here turn inside out when you drop the string on a noisy bow.Quiet as possible is the only way I hunt deer.A loud bow just causes grief in my woods.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
I agree with catwiskers , they work the best of every thing I have tried . Also heavy arrows ( 11 to 12 grains ) make a diffrence as do string material . BTW I shoot a treadway longbow due to the fact that by its design it is the most quite bow I have shot . Mike Treadway make his strings with FF and dacron combo which cuts down on noise and still gives you the speed . Try one of Mikes strings , you will see a diffrence in your bow noise no matter what bow its on .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
I am with James and Preditor on this one a quiet bow is a must for hunting pressured Whitetails on public land in Wisconsin -- not so much for second shots as it is for "string jumping" speed of sound is way faster than any bow will ever be and a whitetails reaction skills are very good. Put it this way -- reaching a quiet bow combination certainatly can not hurt. Apex I may have to have you make me one before to long!!!

Offline 2ndxarnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
Ok I'll bite. Apex what is the wool-ease treatment? RP
Take the time to teach a child.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I've gotten a couple second shots, both with my Horne's Brush Bow.  I have better luck with yarn puffs than rubber cat whiskers.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
2ndxarnd, PM sent.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
I just got my hush puppt's and bow hush in the mail yesterday and put it all on my zipper last night all I can say is WOW! best pruduct I have ever used I even triede other wool yarns nothing I mean nothing copares I have used them all on wheelies, long bowand recurve.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
My Bear Montana is extremly quiet, I just need to practice shooting.....a lot.

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I work on getting my bow quiet in the basement. When it's fairly quiet down there, it's almost silent outside. Hap

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Bow Hush and Hush Puppies are two very good strings for quiet bows.  I have tried them and liked them.  I just started making my own because that's the way I like to do things when possible.  I did a build-a-long titled "how I silence a bow string".  Do a search, and it will come up.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©