3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why use 5" feathers....?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Why use 5" feathers....?
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
...if 4" feathers will do?  Almost all trad. archers I see have 5" feathers on their shafts.  Why not use 4" feathers?  Just curious....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why use 5" feathers....?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Want to stabilize and arrow quickly.  I usually use 5 1/2" feathers.
Never was much concerned about arrow speed unless it dropped below 140 feet per second.  JMHO
Deer just don't care how fast an arrow misses them.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Gene, you got a way with a phrase!
I use 4.5" feathers, I just like them like that. I am tired of thinking too much. Life is short, and I am gonna just do 'em how I like 'em.

Killdeer  :p  ~run and tell that!
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I was just thinking about this because I can see my arrows (w/4") are not spinning until about ten or more yards out. If I take a shot at a deer closer than that my arrow may not be flying as true as I'd like. I would hate to hit an animal with a sideways flying arrow...

So, tonight I am going to fletch a couple 5" with more or less helix and try them out. Logic tells me 5" with more twist will stabilize sooner but slow down quicker and have more drop down range. At this time I'm thinking the 5's will work better in my effective range. What I'm curious about is how much (if any) more noise will they make.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
5" high profile shield definately make more noise..

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Why use 4" feathers which are SLOWER than 5" feathers until the extra drag takes effect at around 45 yards. Also penetration is better at close range as the bigger feathers straighten the shaft out quicker. Unless you are taking shots longer than 50 yards there is no advantage to the smaller fletching.

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I use 5 1/2" just because I like the way they look.I don't care how it affects speed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
I've always gotten great results with 4" 4 fletch. Either 75x105 or 90 degree. They sraighten up really quick. I use RW helical with plenty of twist. I don't think you can set a standard for this. Someone with a better release than me can get by with less feather, just as every shaft stiffness will not fit all. Use what works! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Killy,  I take that compliment with great humility...coming from someone who I consider the "Queen of Quip."
   :wavey:

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Yep, Fletching are only there to correct our mistakes and to have a little extra if they get matted down in a rain storm. 5" is just the accepted "norm". 4" work fine, 3" work fine with the narrow heads like WW's...The drag more fletching causes takes effect as soon as the arrow leaves the string however and is more significant then folks think. Running the ballistics between 4" and 5" shows only 1" difference at 20 yards on a 170fps 500 grain arrow but shows 3.5% less horsepower at 20 yds. That's the same as short drawing your bow 1".......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Mr Adcock,
Are you saying that 5" fletch is 3.5% "weaker" on impact than a 4" fletch?
If so then I want to make some changes. I have some 4" parabolics I thought about trying but haven't gotten around to it yet. All of my hunting arrows are already fletched with 5" shield feathers.
My season opener is on Sep 20th, and I want all the advantage I can get!
Thank you sir.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I use 4" feathers for hunting.The are plenty for even my treesharks.Flag less in a bowquiver and hold up better when stuffed up a tube quiver.On some bows it is easier to get good riser clearance with less feather.Light skinny carbons just do not work as well with a lot of drag on the back.I do use half a turkey on wood and bamboo arrows however because they need all the help they can get. :)jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I usually don't have to worry about much "stabilizing" because I tune my arrows/bow until it'll shoot bareshafts out to at least 25 yards into the same place as my fletched arrows.

Killy, 4.5"? I don't think I've seen any - you must be burnin' em, yes?
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
:wavey:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
5.5 inch high back shields on my longbow shafts, 5 inch shields on the recurve shafts.
And 6.5 long fletches on the horsebow arrows....but these are only .250" high.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Went through the same thing recently and kind of still up in the air on the subject . Right now Im getting great flight from three 4in .parabolic so Im planning on hunting with this set up .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I like standard profile 4 inchers because

less noise
I shoot a 3 to 1 broadhead that doesnt wind plane
My arrows are tuned and dont require 'steerage' from the rear.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I don't get what you people are talking about with noise. Im 20, and I'm fairly sure my hearing is better than most of you guys, and I dont notice much of a diffrence between bare shafts and fletched ones. Much less 1" smaller feathers. All I ever hear is the bow and the thunk of hitting the target, and my bow is pretty quiet from what I've heard. Sure, ther is a diffrence, but barely noticable. I have small diameter carbons with 5" 4 fletch. Most people say its too much, but I get waay more than enough power at even 40 yards (wish I could shoot good enough at that distance though). They accually fly and penetrate the target further than my gold tips that are 2 inches shorter, and have 4" parabolics.
Also, my arrows stabalise almost immedieatly, not more than 10 feet from the bow. If your not a professional bowyer and can't make a perfect arrow that didnt need feathers, then why not put a little extra fletch on there. Id rather have too much all of the time than too little just once.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Elictric blues, if you have a shed or something you can stand in, or a corner of a building you can stand behind that will put you down range near your target but at the same time keep you perfectly out of harms way. I think you will be shocked at the amount of noise your going to hear as your arrow SCREAMS by on the way to the target. If you have ever been to an air show or a nascar race you have heard the same effect just on a louder scale. Never the less, give it a try with a buddy, and you will hear what all the fuss is about. BE CAREFUL FOLLOWING MY NOT SO GOOD IDEA!!!!!

I use 5.5" Nanners cause I think they look cool  :saywhat:  !!! I also dont plan on shooting over 15 yds, its real thick around here during bow season, and I dont stay in the same spot for long. Besides that I hunt refuges and its illegal to cut shooting lanes.

You should hear a feather vs plastic vane!!Wow what a difference. Still, Man I love those feathers!!!-Greg
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Stabilization coming out of Archers Paradox.

------------
Trad Rag | com
Stick & String or Cap & Ball | Giveaways
Longbow: ACS-CX 58#@28. Arrow: GT5575 Traditional, 100gr. Brass insert, 125 gr. Magnus 2-blade: 530 gr. total.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©