3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)  (Read 1288 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
As of late I've seen a lot of postings here and on other traditional sites degrading and belittling camouflage and carbon suits in particular.  I for one think carbon suits are really a great innovation.  Since I have started using them I see much more game.  As for camouflage, plaid and other pattern will work just fine for deer hunting but turkey is open during archery season too.  There is also the point that while I’m hunting I don’t want to be seen by other bowhunters.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
I like to use as little commercial garb as possible unscented  laundry soap wash again with baking soda line dried  if possible , scent shield body wash unscented deodorant  baking soda in the boots and play the wind
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I sometimes spay coon urine on my boots - but it does stink so I skip it frequently. Its hard to say if it makes much difference.

I think carbon suits are a scam.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I use a piece of dental floss tied on my string and watch which way the wind blows it.  If the string is blowing towards me, I'm happy.   Fortunately that's quite a bit cheaper than ScentLoc and all of that other stuff.

Come to think of it, though - I do have some footwear that might be improved by a strong dose of coon urine.     :p

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
If your not using a carbon suit your scaring more deer than your seeing.  Before I started using one I would spook about 30% of the deer I encountered.  Since getting one over 10 years ago I have had less than a hand full smell me and half of them are dead.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
When evaluating any new item of technology, I always look at it from the perspective of how it impacts fair chase.  Does it give an unfair advantage to the hunter?  On the one hand, a lot of people say the scent loc stuff doesn't work, that it's just a hoax.  But if it does work, if it actually does take away the animal's ability to smell the hunter, that's stacking the deck too much in the hunter's favor, IMO.  

The same could be said for camouflage, of course.  However, to animal eyes that don't see color, camo may not be a big advantage to the hunter.  Deer, for example, may see camo as well as they see blaze orange, or plaid or whatever.  In addition, regardless of the pattern worn, hunter movement is another visual cue that the hunted still has to use to their advantage.

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
I hunt in regular camo, If you know how to hunt you don't need all that high tech fancy stuff, if you try to loc your scent, sit high in the trees, kind of takes the fun out of "hunting"; Plus the cost of it is ridiculous, the average family guy getting buy in this economy needs a loan to buy it, I would rather buy shafts and supplies...just my thought...no offense to anyone  :)  to each thier own.
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »
Extensive testing has been done by chemical engineers who claim it does work for a while until the carbon absorbs all it can.

Once the carbon absorbs the odors it's useless and requires a temperature of 1100+ degree F to reactivate it. There isn't a dryer made that will put out that 1100 degree temp to reactivate it.

I'll stick to showers, baking powder, spray scent elimination products and most importantly watch the wind.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
Guess I'm missing something, never use half the gadgets and potions folks insist are vital to hunting yet game still impails itself on my arrows, unlucky game? Suicidal moose perhapse? Or maybe, just maybe, gullable hunters with more money than comon sense?
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
At one time I had hoped that a carbon suit could work, but from my experience working canine tracking dogs, from the military testing, and from scientific data and reports, etc....the carbon suit technology cannot prevent your detection from a canine, a deer, or a bear. The commercial carbon suit is already saturated at time of manufacture and neither a commercial nor a military unit can be recharged without destroying the entire garment. It is impossible to recharge either a military or a commercial unit in a commercial clothes dryer.

Superstition and the placebo effect are strong in competitive sports and in hunting. You could have your lucky underwear or your lucky charm and swear that you could pitch the baseball faster or could see more game. If it helps your mental game, go for it. But, no amount of vodoo, polls, or threads can overcome the fact that carbon suits have been scientifically proven not to work for the purpose being used when hunting.

Daddy Bear

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I use them religously all the parts gloves, head and mouth cover pants and coat and also a antimocrobial liner system, rubber boots, it is all only worn in the woods then sprayed down before and after each days hunt I shower with antimorobial eearth scented soap every day and mouth spray is also used, yes it's extreme and I hunt the wind but have had deer less then 10 feet while on the ground dead down wind my wind puff bottle with powder has actually hit the deer in the nose and even made a 8 pt sneeze with it once and bear dead down wind at 6 yds who took a ride in the truck, I have seen the results first hand but it all needs to be worn and care for properly then it will have it's full effect, will not step in the woods without it. I have not been winded or had a deer catch my ground scent in the time I have used it. I belive my wall shows it.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
No. I use the wind.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Will guys I tried the carbon suits back when they first cane out. And was sold on them until one day for lunch i had a bowl of some good beans. And later that afternoon will lets just say i dont use them now.   :biglaugh:

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Used to use it, but stopped wearing them bout 6+ years ago. I found that I saw just as many critters without it as I did with it. So the benefits didnt equal the cost.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by rg176bnc:
If your not using a carbon suit your scaring more deer than your seeing.  Before I started using one I would spook about 30% of the deer I encountered.  Since getting one over 10 years ago I have had less than a hand full smell me and half of them are dead.
I think its because you have evolved as a hunter, not some gimmicky suit.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
I too have had deer at less then 10 feet while hunting on the ground, including the mature doe that I shot at about 8 feet on opening day last year, but I have never owned a carbon suit.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
This topic will be debated until the end of man kind... we each have our own way of hunting, and feel it MUST be done this way  :notworthy:  
I wear mine because I like the camo patterns, and feel if does indeed work just a little bit- than that is in my favor.  We can all say we hunt the wind, but in my many years of hunting- I don't think the deer know all the rules about not heading past my stand downwind...in my home state of Michigan- trying to harvest more mature bucks- they usually bring up the rear in a travel group- meaning does/small bucks must pass by- really isn't beneficial when they know something is up...
Some stand locations just are not "perfect" and swirling winds are the norm.  If they give me an edge- so be it- I need all the help I can get.....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
I use scent, silver thread, along with scent kiling soap, spray, head cover, and take chlorphyll tabs. This takes care of most of my scent, have actuallly hunted upwind of trails and killed deer, had a doe stick her nose in my blind last season first week, 90degerees, sweating like a pig, she finally spooked ran out to 256 yards and looked back just in time to catch a broadhead.
samuel koger

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
I agree with DRR, that this is a long standing debate, and could go forever.  We each use what we feel is ethical, so be it.  My issue is that while they may work for some people, they are consistently pricing themselves out of the hands of the average blue collar worker like myself in this time of a troubled economy.  I asked my 68 year old Dad about what he had done in the past about the scent issue, and he simply washed his clothes in Baking soda water and hung them on the line to air dry.  I think that even if you wear Scentlock and such, which I don't blame anyone that does if it helps them out, we must all be aware of the wind in our blinds/stands.  JMHO.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
I have and wear both brands...I don't believe they are scent proof but that they help reduce the amount of scent to some degree...I always take the wind into consideration when hunting...the clothing is just one part of what I try to do to reduce the amount of scent...that said most of this stuff  is super expensive so I always buy mine on closeout or clearance sale... I'm not going to debate whether Scent Block/Loc works or not, I think it does help some along with a lot of other things. I usually take my actual hunting clothes to the woods in  a bag and get dressed there. I don't wear my clothes in stores, restaurants, pump gas, etc. I wear some type of rubber boot usually and they only get worn in the woods. I use scent reducing sprays. I wipe my bow down with it, and my treestand/blind. I play the wind. If I am on a stand and the wind switches on me, I'll move..I do a lot of things that some folks scoff at or say isn't necessary, but I know one thing for sure it works for me!!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©