3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)  (Read 1290 times)

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
I don't personally use them, but I would try them if I needed new clothes and they were on clearance. My theory is also that they may reduce your scent to a certain extent. Possibly the scent is reduced to the point where deer may think the scent is days old or further away. I think some deer may be more tolerant of this reduced scent than others. Basically I think each scent control step that you take, (using scent free soap before hunting, storing clothes in air tite containers, dressing in the woods, scent-loc clothes, etc.) all contribute a small amount to reducing your scent. With that said, the more paranoid I get about all of this the less enjoyment I have. It gets to the point where I don't go out hunting because I don't have time to take a shower beforehand and I don't want to contaminate all of my clothes and have to spend more time re-washing everything.

My theory about re-activating the carbon is that the heat from the clothes dryer may remove a small amount of the built up stink, but more likely the suits simply keep the scent inside (like rubber boots). From what I can tell, the scent-lok material doesn't breathe very well and it may just contain the scent more than it actually "adsorbs" the scent. I always wonder if Gore-tex or any other raingear would be just as effective. I think the same concept is used in the 'Elimitrax' products.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by econnell71:
I hunt in regular camo, If you know how to hunt you don't need all that high tech fancy stuff, if you try to loc your scent, sit high in the trees, kind of takes the fun out of "hunting"; Plus the cost of it is ridiculous, the average family guy getting buy in this economy needs a loan to buy it, I would rather buy shafts and supplies...just my thought...no offense to anyone    :)    to each their own.
"IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HUNT"!  Why that's a real slap in the face!
Many of you are saying here that you have to use the wind, hunt down wind, etc.  Well of course you have to use all the well known hunting tactics and strategies.
I guess as it was said this could be debated forever.  I don't believe that carbon suits will make you completely undetectable, but it is a scientific fact that carbon absorbs odor.  The amount of odor that is absorbed is enough to allow more game to come into view and bow range than I have ever experienced before carbon suits.

Oh, by the way I've  never bought any Scent Blocker or Scent-Loc clothing.  My wife gets it for me  as presents, so the cost is very reasonable.
  :biglaugh:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
90degerees, sweating like a pig, she finally spooked ran out to 256 yards and looked back just in time to catch a broadhead.
quoted by kroger

I want to know how Koger makes a 256 yard shot with a broadhead   :scared:  , I find it tough make 25 yard shots sometimes!!!!
Koger- someone had to ask   :banghead:
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
So far if I am interpreting the poll correctly, it appears that there are many that don't own/use carbon suits but that some that don't still feel it to be effective.  Or to put it another way, perhaps on a wish list.

Camo: with few exception everyone likes camo.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by DRR324:
90degerees, sweating like a pig, she finally spooked ran out to 256 yards and looked back just in time to catch a broadhead.
quoted by kroger

I want to know how Koger makes a 256 yard shot with a broadhead    :scared:   , I find it tough make 25 yard shots sometimes!!!!
Koger- someone had to ask    :banghead:  
If you practice out to 500, 256 is a cake shot.

:biglaugh:

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
i use one but i'm not sure how much it helps. probably not much for me since i'm not anal about only putting them on when i get to my stand and not wearing it into the house and all that stuff. i spray my self down a little bit w/ some scent killer and some earth cover scent. to be honest i think the suits can help a LITTLE bit but only if you take all the extra precautions to keep them away from other odors. honsetly i'm gonna have to go w/ the wind guys in that the wind is prob the most important factor. one time when hunting i had a small stand in a little pine tree about 6 feet high out in a field. i had broken a few branches when i got in it so i could hang my quiver. i had a young buck walk right up against the tree about 2 or 3 feet from my feet and it never smelled me. i came to the conclusion that the pine scent covered mine and that's why. i don't know, i still buy the scentlok stuff even thought i'm not totally convinced or sold on it. i guess i'm dumb that way lol
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
I think it depends a lot on how you hunt. If you sit in a treestand wearing scent suits etc is probably helpful.
I hunt on the ground and find the suits-or any kind of 'barrier' doesn't breathe well under exertion, so I use the soaps, baking soda, and step in cow pies.
On the ground you have to always think of wind.
I wear camo and find it effective; plaid probably works equally well..

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
I think your attitude about what works is your best weapon. If you believe that it does I bet that you will help it to be so. Carbon suits are expensive goodies but you really have to consider that some smell does get past the carbon liner of the clothing via the neck line, cuffs ect. and a deer will smell it. Nothing is full prof gentlemen. Just a thought...
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Bowbender:
.... but it is a scientific fact that carbon absorbs odor.  The amount of odor that is absorbed is enough to allow more game to come into view and bow range than I have ever experienced before carbon suits.

Yo are listing a fact that doesnt really support so much as allow, your following anecdotal generalization.

I suspect that the difference in smell between clean clothes stored outside and the smell of carbon  clothes is much smaller than the smell of your breath.

EDIT: I just realized that could be read the wrong way. I mean that deer can probably smell human scent in anyones breath.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
i dont think they are worth money. Many centuries have passed without their use. so that must prove something, no? I watch the wind, and use natural cover scents (pure skunk essence) and dont have any problem with not seeing deer and i still harvest my share!

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
THESE CARBON SUITS are just like when everybody started using deer whistles when they first came on the market and i proved to the people THAT THEY DO WORK!!I ride a motorcycle and i put my new deer whistles on backwards and TOOK OFF DOWN THE ROAD LIKE GREASED LIGHTNING AND LOOKED IN MY MIRROR AND THOSE DEER WHERE CHASING ME!!!!! BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT BUT FOR SURE WATCHING  THE WIND WORKS!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
I remain dubious about the effectiveness of the SentLoc stuff especially given the (IMO) high cost.  Even if they work perfectly though, many of us hunt on public land (or even heavily used private land) where ours isn't the only human scent the deer are likely to encounter.

Even if I spend all I earn in order to become the perfect olfactory ninja, that doesn't stop the deer from spooking at the scent of hikers, bikers, horseback riders, other hunters, wandering hippies, etc.

Thanks anyway - I'll blow money on wool or something instead.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I have a hard time understanding this whole issue. Why is it an "issue" at all? It has been determined scientifically, (many times), that it is impossible to work as described. ( it actually does exactly what it was intended to 'to get your money out of your wallet' nothing more)
Marketing is an amazing thing.
Some people want to believe certain things so intensely that no amount of facts can convince them otherwise. If you treat your normal clothes as the manufactureures of scent blocking garments tell you to take care of thier garments you will/would see the same results. Come on, wake up and stop watching/ buying into all the crap you see on TV. They sold millions of pills for Restless leg syndrom and this syndrom and that syndrom, give me a break. Get off the frick-n couch and stop buying into all the BS slung at youy from marketers and salesman. Do you believe all that crap Billy Mays sells does what it's said to do. Scent Blocker/Lock is no different. Wake the hell up.

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I believe that the carbon suits work somewhat; they reduce the smell of money in your wallet.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I'd like to see the research and examine the methodology of that research with a full conflict of interest disclosure statement before I conclude anything. Until you have that it's all anecdotal evidence or conjecture. I've never seen a double blind independent study though perhaps it does exist. jct, do have any links to any studies? I don't mean the "I wrapped some hamburg in it and my dog found it studies" but the standard of research that would pass the scrutiny of the wizards at M.I.T.

Until I see that as far as I am concerned the jury is still out. My own anecdotal evidence? I was wearing about three layers of it and waiting in the van with some buds when I cut one that truly belonged in a zoo! Cleared out the van! I've been a doubtful wearer since.    :biglaugh:   I've been on the ground without face paint and had them come in to within FEET. BUT this was in suburban woods and maybe they were just use to human scent. I had a buck within 15 yards while 3D shooting in shorts. I do wear it though as I believe in can diminish scent. But until we have valid research with ALL the parameters of good research being met, we're all just "talking trash" in a way!   :)   I want to see real research Anybody?
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
Its pretty much the same thing as a gas mask and we know they work. I dont know the science behind how the suit releases the trapped scent and dont really care.  I work in a very smelly enviroment w/ a smoker.  I used to go about 4 times a week right after work regardless of wind and never had a problem w/ deer spooking from scent.  

If ya get lazy, every once in a while a deer would act alittle funny but thats about it. It didnt work as well on pigs, but they smell better that dogs anyway.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
put on yer scentlock suit, take a walk and see how fast your dog can find you! Its SNAKEOIL folks, been around for a long long time  :D

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by trapperDave:
put on yer scentlock suit, take a walk and see how fast your dog can find you! Its SNAKEOIL folks, been around for a long long time   :D  
I think this would be the best test. I have owned and hunted with hounds for a lot of years. I have seen a dog wind a animal at 70 yards. I am sure a deers nose is at least that good. This would be a good test. Has anyone done it?
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbawl:
Will guys I tried the carbon suits back when they first cane out. And was sold on them until one day for lunch i had a bowl of some good beans. And later that afternoon will lets just say i dont use them now.    :biglaugh:  
That's really funny, especially considering that this is one of things that convinces me that mine works as I don't smell those "gaseous discharges".

Another simple little test you could do, is just put something strong smelling under the "Scent Lok/Blocker" fabric and see if you can smell it by sniffing the outside of the fabric. Then try it on some regular clothing and see what your results are. I bet you will find that the scent is at least much weaker through the scent blocking material if not blocked entirely. At least that's been my findings. If your Scent Lok/Blocker clothing fails, then maybe its worn out or needs to be reactivated.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
There is a little scratch and sniff thing on the tags of the garments now.  I stopped and got a set of pants today.

Even if it only puts your scent down to trace amounts it still works.  To the deer you smell like you were there 2 days ago instead of today.  I'm not bragging folks, but I have killed 85 whitetails in the last 11 years while wearing one of these suits.  I know without a doubt they work.  Killed way to many adult deer downwind of me to convinced diffrently. I dont even shower anymore before going afield.  

I will say they dont work as well on pigs.  I dont get to hunt them often, but my experince has been about 10-15% downwind will smell ya expecially big boars.  Pigs smell way better than deer anyway.  Had plenty of coyotes come in downwind and never flinch a muscle as well.

My buddy was a skeptic as well till I talked him into buying one.  You couldnt pry it off his back now.

I have never talked to anybody that has used one and was dissapointed in it, if they used it correctly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©