3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)  (Read 1287 times)

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you use Scent Blocker or Scent Loc (answered)
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
You know what always strikes me funny about those suits is every time I walk into cabelas they are hanging right out in the open.  Absorbing all of the odors, smells, and people fingering them.  Always figured they should be vaccuum sealed in plastic bags just like the good carbon that I buy for my fish aquarium.  They seal it up tight and claim it is sealed to preseve its purity.  Maybe they work or maybe they don't, but why don't they seal them up in the store?  Seams like they would want to preserve its purity. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
camo?? im not a believer
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Why would you use something that costs a fortune and doesn't work? Yes I can afford any of it.Rich Potter (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Science can be misinterpreted. . . but when the military and industry standards use carbon and clearly show that it takes over 1000 degrees to regenerate the carbon you got to wonder.  

With that said. . . do you think that some of the good reports are more a fact that the carbon does not breath and therefore acts like a rubber rain suit or plastic?  I would be willing to small bet on that one.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
i know of someone who uses a rubber suit as a scent elimination method, the theory behind that is way better than charcoal
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by WidowEater:
camo?? im not a believer
Do you turkey hunt?
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Science can be misinterpreted. . . but when the military and industry standards use carbon and clearly show that it takes over 1000 degrees to regenerate the carbon you got to wonder.  

With that said. . . do you think that some of the good reports are more a fact that the carbon does not breath and therefore acts like a rubber rain suit or plastic?  I would be willing to small bet on that one.
Clearly you never wore any because if you had you would know that the first drop of rain that touches it goes right through it like you weren't wearing anything.  I have the light weight stuff for early fall.  My wife just bought me a whole set of saddle cloth heavier weight "DREAM SEASON" Scent Blocker and the new Scent Blocker boots for this fall, I just love that ole girl.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Wouldn't it be much cheaper for her to buy you a rabbit foot to go on your key ring?

I've arrowed several nice bucks near point blank over several decades and I always had a set of keys and a pocket knife on me. Clearly the pocket knife and the keys absorbed all my human scent making me invisible for 360degrees. Add a rabbits foot and you'll be invisible and lucky:)

Your commercial carbon has reached the saturation point by time of manufacture and cannot be regenerated below 1000degrees! You are running around with clothing that is overrun and sopping wet with scent, moreso than if you didn't wear it. Just think how well you would do if you got rid of that smelly suit and wore garments that you could maintain to keep the scent down.

You can be double wrapped in a military grade unit that was deployed in lab conditions and a canine will find you as fast by stopwatch on a course than if you wore street clothes. That is with a sealed military unit dawned in a test environment, and even the military units are one time use once the seal is broken because it is impossible to regenerate the carbon below 1000degrees. You'd be better off finding a different lucky charm than the poor choice of a bulky, smelly carbon suit to drag around the woods like a ball and chain.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Show me proof of that statement because the stuff works.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Here's what I don't understand. Everyone that I know that uses one says they help but you must still hunt the wind. If I hunt the wind why would I need one? It's just hunter bate and we bite it big time.
Now with that said if you want one buy one. I don't care. Why are you so touchy about it. If you don't want to know what someone thinks don't ask. I don't ask what people think about my bow because I don't care. I hunt the way I like with what I like. And hunt alone because most of the hunters I know are not woodsmen and don't want to learn to be one. They would rather buy stuff than learn to be a good woodsmen. Not saying you are not a good woodsmen if you wear sent lok. Just saying being a good woodsmen is WAY more important. And BASSPRO don't sell it.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
I keep seeing the response of "prove it doesn't work, scientifically, or show me proof of your statement that it doesn't work".
I say to those who believe it works and are so adiment that it works, show me some scientific proof that it does work. None of the this deer did this or that or manufacturer claims. Scientific proof.
The manufacturer wants us to buy it, you belivers want us non-believers to believe it works.
Me not falling for the claims costs me zippy. The science behind carbon proves it cannot work as described in an article of clothing. You prove me wrong with documented, factual, testing done on the actual garment. Until then I stick by my statement that it's a gimmick.
" A fool and his money are soon parted"

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Do not take this personal:

The ASTM Committee F-23 manuals on protective clothing is a good place to start. They’ve tested the limits of carbon suit technology to know what it can and cannot do.

Here is a running report of the carbon suit scam maintained by T.R. Michels:

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

Here is another article on the carbon suit scam with the test conducted by JA Shivik, Ph.D with search and rescue dogs.

http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/publish/article_169.shtml

Here are Lessons from the U.S. Army CANE Exercises:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cpc-pubs/war_next_time/schneider2.pdf

Here is a good overall article on the subject by a biologist with a Science degree who has worked in the environmental protection field for more than ten years:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

Here is a follow up article on the subject:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits_deuce.htm

This is the Virginia Tech paper on partial desorbed activated carbon between temperatures ranging from 100–649°C which is above 212degrees F:

http://www.ce.vt.edu/program_areas/environmental/teach/wtprimer/carbon/sketcarb.html

You can also read the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide Manual No. DG1110-1-2, which shows that  the only method to fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.

Here is a little article that touches on the manufacturing of your commercial carbon suit compared to the military unit:

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/NULLO_-_Making_Good_Scents_105/4_Old_1_New_Scent_Control_Strategies.shtml

The facts go on and on. Bottom line, on this planet, using materials from this planet, and using the laws of science from this planet; it is impossible for your commercial carbon suit to work for you while hunting as you claim. Your carbon suit is fully saturated at time of manufacture, there is no method known to man for your saturated carbon suit to be desorbed, and the only methods known for your saturated carbon suit to be partially desorbed is greater than any temperature reached by any household dryer manufactured. Even if you had access to technical heating equipment to safely bring the temps of your saturated carbon suit above 212degrees F, it is a losing battle as you will have a continual loss in the ability  for your suit to be partially desorbed. The highest grade sealed military unit is worthless beyond 1 use, 45 days of being unsealed, or 6 washings. Your commercial suit is worthless the moment it is manufactured.

Later,
Daddy Bear

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I think carbon suits "work" the same way camo "works"--it makes some folks more confident.

I used to know a guy who was a dang good shot--as long as he knew the bow he was shooting was one of a few certain brand names.  He didn't shoot nearly as well with any others (that I saw at least).  I firmly believe that he could have shot the lights out with a broomhandle strung with baleing twine if he was convinced it was one of those brands he liked.......and he couldn't hit the ground with one of those same bows he shot so well if you convinced him it was some "off" brand.

I guess if they work for you, or if you are just convinced they work for you, they are worth it.  Archery is a very mental sport.

Chad

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
All fair chase,All bow,All inside 20yds,None with scent lock,All heavy hunted land. I did try it when it first came out.  But found it did not help I still got busted when i didnt hunt the wind.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Daddy Bear, you rock brother. You just posted the info I was atempting to gather up.
If all that doesn't sink in to those who seem to believe it works then theres no hope.
I now challenge anyone to counter Daddybears information on this.
People are sheep. Follow the leader no matter how rediculous the leader is. All the outdoor shows and channels excist for ONE reason, to sell you crap. And you buy it. Completly foolish!
The idea that if it gives you confidence then it works is hogwash.
How about confidence in oneself, have we completly lost that. I would think you would seek medical attention and some sorta medication if you felt the need for "name brands" to boost your confidence. Come on!
VAbowbender I believe he just showed you proof of his statement, now lets see your proof otherwise.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Daddy Bear , thank you very much for providing the information requested.  Although 2 of the links wouldn't open the others did and make for enlightening reading.  Because of that material I can rethink the full and partial effectiveness of Scent suits.

On the other hand  jct you're just venomous, angry and demeaning.  Why would anyone listen to you.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
"Venomous, angry and demeaning." Thats a little exagerated don't you think.
I don't believe name calling does much for your argeument.
So be it, I have thick skin, let the name calling rip if it makes you feel better.
Changes nothing, I call it as I see it, you don't have to like it.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
VA Bowbender,

You are a fine gentelman and you represent the Great State of Virginia well!

This is an excellent forum where we can share knowledge and opinions related to our common passion for traditional archery. Bowbender, I know your' offered opinion on this topic was in that spirit of sharing as was my reply:) It is refreshing when gentlemen can discuss such hot topics while staying above board. Tongue in cheek is one thing, but the drawing of battle lines and huring insults towards anyone because they may or may not use AC garments is a bit much for my taste. Regardless the outcome of your carbon suit, I found this to be a good thread and I salute you for standing up to all the abuse:)

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I have sent an e-mail to Robinson Technologies (makers of SCENT BLOCKER)copies of some of the text and information contained in these postings.  I asked the what their response is to the information contained therein. I will post it if and when I get a response.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I believe they are named in the pending legal suit and may refrain from any open dialog other than bare minimum legal speak. It was noted that they began to pull some of their previous statements from web publications which may have been in preparation for this pending litigation.

To be frank, I cannot see how they could support their previous position if this goes to trial in the face of all the scientific peer reviewed evidence and expert witnesses that the legal team has prepared to use against them. I believe their only out is to avoid a trial. They appear to have done a great job of stalling to this point:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©