3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permanone ...  (Read 276 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Permanone ...
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Have never used it before, but just bought a couple of cans after being a bug buffet (despite the deet).

I understand you only spray your clothing and the can says it works for up to 2 weeks.

For those of you who use it ... do you respray your clothes every 2 weeks?  Should you only wash the clothes before you re-treat (could get kinda ripe)?  Thx.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permanone ...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
The stuff we get in the military will with stand washing and I believe lasts a month or more. Before leaving the states we were issued a newer bag type instead of the cans.

IMO you would be better off investing in a ThermaCell.

Offline tjjsidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
You can wash your cloths after you treat them with permamone. I just found out about this stuff last year, and I spray all of my clothing. I never had any problems with ticks even after a couple of washings. I retreat my close once a month until it really gets cold or snows. I really don't want to be bitten by a tick.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey Mr. Magoo, I'm a N.C. boy myself.  This stuff works great.  You're correct, treat just your clothes.  After 2 weeks, I treat them again.  Wash your clothes as often as you need too.  They say it will still work after washings.  I haven't tried a ThermaCell but Permanone works on 'skeeters (it doesn't keep skeeters from buzzing around you but when they land, they don't hand around long enough to bite ya) chiggers, and ticks.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Where are you guys getting the permanone and how is it branded?  I looked at BassPro the other evening and couldn't find it.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Walmart carries it in a blue and orange can.  Good stuff
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
I picked mine up at Dick's.  It's an aerosol can.  Repel brand; says "clothing and gear" on the can.

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/Permanone/

Thx. for the replies.  Thermacell works fine for mosquitoes, but it doesn't do anything for ticks and chiggers.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
We've been using Permanone AKA Duranon for almost twenty years...Its the only thing made that will keep ticks off of you, period...you treat your clothes with it (socks, pants, shirt)...you can wash your clothes a time or two in between treatments...I also use the large velcro ties (24") around the bottom of my pants or tuck them in my boots...it either comes in a yellow can with a green top, a yellow can with a black top, or a blue and orange can with a blue top (repel brand)...the active ingredient is permethrin (.5%)...walmart carries it here, when they have it in stock...they seem to run out often...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I spray my hunting cloths as soon as I get to camp and let them dry before wearing them. I have heard you can wash and the poison remaining potent but I re-spray each time I use my hunting cloths. Since I started using Permanone 3 or 4 years ago, I have never had a tick or chigger while wearing my hunting cloths. I believe it kills mosquitoes also.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
We just had this thread.Rich Potter(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
The best there is. You will watch the ticks die before they get past your knees.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Been using Permanone for 10 yrs...never had a tick on me yet. I spray my clothing both inside and out and it does last 2 weeks. Great stuff...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
What Joe said   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Permanone works, even if you wash your clothes (right Joe??????) LOL
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
Easy Scott...my fellow Tri State Terror/Team Pink affiliate....I never wash my hunting clothes....you know that. I have work clothes that need washing when I'm around the house doing manly things the wife tells me to do! LOL

:saywhat:    :rolleyes:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
I use it.  I made my last order at Cabelas and I bought both the liquid and spray.  I put all my hunting clothes in the liquid and use the spray to "touch up" my pants, shoes, etc..  Anything close to the ground gets a spray once a week.

According to the container it lasts 6 or 8 washes.

Since using it I have not had a tick on me.

And it's odorless.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©