3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: making tapered shafts  (Read 639 times)

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
making tapered shafts
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Up until now I've just made basic wooden arrows. I'd like to try making some tapered shafts and I have some questions.

1. At what point on the shaft do you begin the taper?

2. How much spine reduction can I expect? Let's say I have a 3/8 dowel that spines at 80lbs and I'm shooting for a spine of 60lbs on my finished tapered shaft. Will I be able to get that?

3. What tools do you use? Is a small handplane all that's needed?

4. Any tricks or tips on keeping the taper round, without any flat spots or corners?

Thanks

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making tapered shafts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I taper mine with a belt sander. I chuck the dowel up in a drill, lay the table flat, and as I spin the shaft with a drill sand it down to 5/16" for about the last 8-9". After you do a couple you can eyeball it pretty well.

You don't lose much spine this way, maybe 2-3#. In order to reduce the spine you have to sand the middle, as you probably have been doing.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making tapered shafts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I use,a small block plane,for initial reduction,then,run it through sandpaper,held in one hand,and the shaft,chucked in a drill with the other.I do the last 10 inches.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©