3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bent magnus- what the?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bent magnus- what the?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
this happened to me years ago.. I quit the Magnus.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
That happened to one of mine once too when I hit the wooden shed behind the groundhog that was taunting me (don't ask).  The broadhead went into the wood at a weird angle and I frankly put it down to 'just one of those things'.

Every single one I've shot (hitting target or missing it) has had the tip curl up a bit though.  I hate the needle points and tend to file them down to  more of a chisel shape once damage has been done.

I like the heads, but I'm not crazy about that.

On the other hand, the new Magnus BHs my son just bought seem to have come with a bit of a chisel point already and they look really good to me.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
No mystery here...no soft metal....no faulty design....etc. Nothing wrong with the head. It will happen to the best of heads.

I know a guy who can bust a bowling ball with a rubber hammer too.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
why is it rusty or is that all blood?
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I have never had a problem with the 125 heads.  I have heard the 100 grain heads are not as strong.
Mel Riley

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
I had the point curl on one once when I shot an antelope.It drastically reduced penetration.I was lucky enough to get on it later and get another arrow in or it could have turned out badly.I hadn't changed the factory tip profile and probably should have given them a chisel or tanto point.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I have had one twist bend I'll try to post a pic, It wasnt that bad though.  Just the tip..

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I`ve seen the mag II`s bend like that but never a MagI. I`ve killed many critters with MagI`s and had zero problems.The very best broadhead made in my opinion.RC

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
3 years ago on a hog hunt in south Texas I had the same problem on a sow that thankfully was recovered by by another hunter in our group. I had Four heads that all either bent or curled up. I have taken a number of other animals(with a magnus head) though and not had that happen, so sum it up to shot placement, bone contact er whatever. I still have some but after shooting many different heads I've decided to try a new one again this year, the 145 grain grizzly- we'll see how it goes with them. Wish I knew they were guaranteed I'd have sent them back- oh well. good shooting
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
I have 3 Magnus 125 grain heads that look just like this.  Two on whitetail ribs and one that I bounced off my Block foam target and hit the ground.  All 3 are the solid blade 125 grain.  Interestingly I shot a vented 125 grain Magnus through the shoulder blade of a deer last year with no damage.  I noticed on the description that the vented models have a higher Rockwell number than the solid Mag II heads.  Don't know if that makes a big difference, but I've never had a vented model bend.

Dave

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
the b/head is 125gr. still got blood on it, it's not rusty and i glue them with epoxy. absolutey no heat input.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
I've got one at home that looks the same.  It just took a wierd angle on a rock during a pass-thru.  I've shot tons of broadheads and have bent/destroyed all I've shot...weather is be the head or the ferrel bending.  None IMO are bullet proof.  I used to shoot Steelforce heads.  After bending 4 of them I called the company here's the reply I got...."Did the head pass thru the animal?" Yes..."Did the animal die?" Yes.."Then whats the problem?" "Sounds to me the head did exactly what it was designed to do"..."Have you ever retrieved a bullet after you shot an animal?"  I then hung up.
I stopped shooting steelforce after those replies...I will shoot my Magnus head and on the rare occasion that I bend or destroy one I'll send it back to Mike Sohm and he will replace it w/ absolutely no question.  Customer service is everything in my book.  Magnus earned my loyalty.
Mike
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
I've never had one do as some have described here but I shoot the Magnus I's and the Vented heads for the most part.

The nice thing about the Vented, the steel taken from the vents is put back in the tip, making the tip of the Vented head the thickest 125 in the whole Magnus line up.  They've got an excellent "Diamond Tip" on them too, which is like a baby tanto tip that really boosts the strength.

Magnus knows what customer service is, and they will take care of you.  Top notch outfit.  :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
If your unhappy with your magI`s send them to me.RC

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
I have one that looks just like that, also bent the glue in threaded adapter.  Unfortunate hit on the front leg bone of a whitetail.  To me they seem a little weak on reenforcement in the tip.  I know they have killed thousands of animals, but a bad experience makes me shy away from them.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
If your unhappy with your magI`s send them to me.RC
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I've had Mike say he was going to send me some heads but never did.  However, despite this I still shoot Magnus Snuffers and II heads as I just think they are great.  If I had the experiences your girlfriend had I'd probably switch to another head though.  Let us know if Magnus figures out the problem.//
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 04:50:00 AM »
RIBTEK

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I have only bent 1 magnus head. it was the magnus 2. I was shooting at a cup on a dirt bank and there was a rock that the head hit. Tip bent right over. I called magnus and they said to send it on to em and they would send me another head as to which they did. That was about 5 years ago.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Never had a problem with my Magnus heads.  Send it back and they will replace it.  I am quite sure they would want to inspect it to see what happened.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©