3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: weekend Tradganger hunt Oct 4 and 5  (Read 10169 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: weekend Tradganger hunt Oct 4 and 5
« Reply #360 on: October 06, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Mikey kept us up all night with his snoring, Joe told him he sounded like a generator running. The thing is we were told we could sleep in the bedroom but nooooooooo! we just had to sleep in the same room as our buddy, we should have brought the shooting muffs. I'm still saving my pennies mike so I can pay you to take that Grizzly back   :bigsmyl:  Just got done waxing it for you buddy.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: October 06, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
also congrats to EJ on a great shot and fine trophy. remember this is his first time EVER hunting and he chose stick and string! how many of us can say we made our first ever kill with traditional archery???

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: October 06, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Man, it was sure great to see EJ come storlling down the path with that little guy by the tail. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Mikey, how did you go from WAYSIAH to SLACS?
(Some like a chummy sheep?)
I can't retell on this family site the excitement some got when they saw my sheep skin again.    :saywhat:  
But I do know who Mike likes. He proudly showed me a picture he carries in his wallet of his beautiful bride. It brought a tear to my eye: so much beauty to be burdened with blindness! Oh, the cruelty of it all    :(  
    :p

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
"The Day The Black Squirrel Almost Died"

On Sunday morning,our group of TradGangers assembledat the base of the mountain.John would take one group,Ken would take another.Waysiah and The Woodchucker would wait untill daybreak and then stillhunt thier way to the top of the mountain.

Around daybreak,Mike decided that he had some unfinished "business" back at the house.I told Mike that I'd see him later,and I headed up the mountain.....

I'm not "old" but I am older.I'm not "outa shape" but I'm not in the best of shape.....My hips and my knees are pretty well shot,I haven't broken a leg hunting in over 30 years,and I don't plan on doing it in the next 30 either!!!Slow and steady,sets the pace,and wins the race.

I picked my way up the mountain.While doing so I savor every breath of mountain air.I carefully place every foot and enjoy every step.As I hunted to the top,about half way up I met Chris with his trophy.I listened to him tell his story and I was Honored to be able to shared his success.As Chris headed down the mountain with his trophy,I started again for "Black Squirrel Heaven" at the top of the mountain.

When I reached the top of the mountain,I took off my back quiver and leaned it against the tree.Then I took off my possibles bag,and layed it on a rock.Then I took out a cedar arrow made by my very  Good Friend Joe Skipp,and tipped with a Bear Razorhead. The other arrow is also a very special one,it was one of the arrows that was made by Killdeer for the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt. This arrow was given to me by Killy at the St.Judes raffle.This arrow is "Big Medicine" and it was with this arrow that I was going to kill the Black Squirrel.

I took the Razorhead tipped arrow and I nocked it on the string of Old Grizz.Then,I took the arrow that Killy made,and layed it atop my possibles bag.Sometime later,I heard a rustling behind me.I turned around and running for a tree was a Black Squirrel!!!!! As he reached the base of a Hemlock I drew back Old Grizz.....My middle finger touched the corner of my mouth.and I see the broad head. NUTS!!!!! I wanted to use Killy's arrow to kill the Black Squirrel.I eased the string down on Old Grizz,and took the Razorhead tipped arrow off the sting. Then I swapped it for Killy's arrow,and then I nocked it on Old Grizz' string.I started to draw Old Grizz as I looked back to the Hemlock,but alas.....The Black Squirrel was gone!!!!!

So yes, you see.....It was kinda Killy's "fault" that I didn't kill the Black Squirrel.

But Killy it was a pleasure,and an honor to have you with me on my hunt   :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
I have a squirrel story, Joe and I were sitting in the blind on Sat. morning watching the woods come to life, then after Joe proceeded to eat his lunch and mine also, he decided that it was time to look for some squirrels. I had looked out the back of the blind and saw a few running around so we got out then headed up the hill to see if we could get some shooting. Joe was messing around trying to shoot some chipmunks and red squirrels, while this was going on I spotted a nice grey at about 25 yards, I drew back and let one fly at it, dang! just a tad low I had hit were his feet touched the ground. Joe asked me what did you shoot at, I told him a squirrel so he headed over in that direction. Next thing I know Joe is at full draw and lets one sail, then yells I hit it in the chest, all of a sudden this squirrel is scolding us like I never heard one do in all the years I have been hunting. He had a blunt on his arrow and I know how tough those little buggers are but I was Leary about him wandering around with any exposed broadheads so he was only allowed blunts when we were walking around. I told him next time hit it in the head but another opportunity didn't come, but we'll be back to those mountains and Joe will have his revenge.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
Jim taking a short snooze.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
To me, that 1st pic of WAYSIAH looks like hes practicing for his upcoming crucifiction.What did he do to deserve such a thing?

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
SLACS = S.L.A.C.S. = "Snores Like A Chain Saw!" Simple ain't it? Can you say "Duhhh!"

I don't have any stories about this hunt. Guess I was too busy runin' up and down that mountain. Nice mix of cover and pines, oaks, the works! Did my homework and scouted for two days. Next year I'll be ready and up there all day. Oh yea.... I just might wear a watch then too.

... mike ...   :p
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
ok now what do we name this?????????

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Slacksquash  and his sidekick drag   :bigsmyl:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: October 07, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Chuckster, either take broadheads, or take blunts. Don't carry both. I have worn out more servings swapping back and forth! Besides, you should have known that MY arrow would have called in the first critter!

Killdeer  :scared:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Next year Killy!!!!!    :thumbsup:  

If there is one thing that I have learned from 3 years of chasing the elusive Black Squirrel.....

You'll NEVER get a second chance!!!!!   :banghead:  

Next year Killy's arrow gets ALL the string time    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
i will tell you i was very inpressed with the woodsmanship of Aram and Ru. John brought them to the top of the mountain Saterday morning and showed them where to go. as we were starting up Saterday afternoon Aram said that he and Ru could find their own way and up they went! not only did Aram pick up on the lay of the land but he saw and was close to deer both days! i was impressed!

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: October 07, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Not much left to say about this past weekend and all the good friends that were made that hasn't been said already.  To synopsize, I was lucky enough to be invited to this little shin-dig last year, and was promptly taken into this circle of close-knit friends and brothers.
 This year the circle was made larger and the memories were built upon.  Each year I come away a little richer. Thanks to Ken and Mother Mowery, and thanks to all that attended.  I truly had a "time of my life".

In closing, Drew, leave the poor "turkey's" be, they have a hard enough time as it is!!   "[dntthnk]"  

Will post a pic or two when I can.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
and here is the camp cook in action!! thanks again nate for such awesome skills on the grill!!

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
"SUCK" awesome skills  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

Not sure if I should be offended  :D
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
I kind of hate to say this, but if you guys actually hunted just the deer ya may have killed one. I know all the other wildlife is tempting but it does not lend itself to killing deer. Fun for sure but ya make it hard on yourselves! shawn
Shawn

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
whoops, been dipping in to the purple hooch that santa Drew left at gthe house!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Shawn,
      you are right but it is so few and far between that we all get together like this that having fun prevails over "hard core" hunting. anytime you move this many people up a mountain the deer are going to know with out a doubt something is up. we did see i think 8-10 deer in the 2 days which is pretty good. i know to d it right we need more then 2 days and we need to hunt differently but as we only had the weekend it was kind of laid back. as many have said most of us are solo hunters so this kind of group was auctually a shock to the sysetm and had to be hunted differently then normal. i would change a thing about this hunt, i loved it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©