3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon cutting  (Read 436 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
carbon cutting
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Is it essential to buy a specific saw to cut carbon arrows (Im trying to tune my arrows to my bow). What do some of u use? Thanks
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon cutting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I use an Apple saw with a 5,000 rpm motor...thats the smallest i would use for a motor
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Ive seen the ones like Apple, sold for that purpose..Im refering more to carpentry power tools, ie. circle saws, table saws, jig saws..etc. Just did not want to go buy a saw for over $100.00 to cut a few arrows when I have access to my fathers shop.thanks for the suggestion gsdmikko.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Dremmel works OK If you are careful.  I've also used a angle grinder with cut off blade.

Hardest part, at least for me is making sure the cut is square.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Always use a high speed cut off say.  NO carp tools ie; jig saws, table saws.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Mount a dremmel with the thin abrasive disks on a jig to keep it straight and slide the jig over the arrow shaft.
Or, I just found out that the metal cutting chop box I've had around for years does the same job very well.  METAL cutting blade, though, not a wood cutting blade.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I use a dremel tool and just cut the shaft about an inch longer than my final cut. Then the body of the dremel is not interfering with the shaft. Don't even worry if that first cut is straight. Then on the final cut you can get the dremel square and make a nice cut. I also wrap the shaft with masking tape where I want the cut made and mark my line on the tape so you are actually cutting the line on the tape. That makes for a really nice clean cut. I use the thin cutting blade too.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I use the mini cutoff saw from Harbor Freight...cheap and works great.  I had a friend make up a jig for it with a flat tape measure and all but you can use just the saw.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
I bought this saw and it works awesome. Still a little pricey, but much cheaper than the Apple brand.

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/american-archery-products-5000-arrow-rollers-p-7006.html

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
I’ve used a dremmel to cut some of my shafts, I always cut them about and eighth of an inch longer then the intended length and take the rest of with a chamfer stone. You have to be really careful cutting shafts with a dremmel though, use a thin cutting disk and run the dremmel as fast as you can with the cutting disk you’re using.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I cut some with an hi speed angle grinder. They looked ok and I have not had any issues with them. I'm sure there are better tools, but I already have the grinder.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
I have an older 30k rpm Dremel that I use. It only has the one speed, but use your fastest setting if yours is different. Wrap the area in tape, I cut it a little long (1/16" or so) and then square up with my belt sander with a fine grit belt. I have never had any splintering problems doing this and I have cut several dozen this way over the years.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
An abrasive blade on a standard Dewalt chop saw works great for me. Abrasive blade will cost maybe $10 to $15.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
I've cut them on a band saw with 4-5 teeth per inch.  Wrap the cut area first with masking tape and perhaps cut just a tad long.  If you have access to a table saw.  Put on a sanding disc and tru up the ends using a mitre gauge 90 degrees to the disc.

Offline Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
dremel tool with arrow spinning in my homemade crester.  I also make smaller cuts first to keep the dremel straight on the last cut.

Offline Spearo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
I haven't had any problems clamping my arrows in the vice and using a hack saw to cut the arrow, I just go slow applying little pressure. The arrows are radial x-weaves by PSE. It's impossible to get the end of the shaft completely flat but this works for me, however I think the weave pattern greatly reduces the chances of splintering the shaft  while attempting to cut it. 'course I'm very inexperienced so take my advice for what it's worth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©