3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mountain bikes  (Read 1295 times)

Offline blinds

• Trad Bowhunter
mountain bikes
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
My son and I want to customize our mountain bikes to carry our stands, ladder, packs, bows, etc. Please post some pics of your rigs so we can get some ideas. Thanks!

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mountain bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I think it may be easer to build a trailer for your bike.Use some electrical conduit and bicycles wheels.Good luck,

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Good to hear. I am a life long mountain biker and hate seeing those quads/ORVs in the woods. I don't use my bike for hunting but I do use it alot for scouting. I just walk my butt off to get to hunting spots but I don't use stands or ladders.

Like Ironman said I would think a trailer would be the best bet. I suppose you could use the ladder as the trailer frame and add some form of a seat post hitch to one end and a BMX wheel or wheels to the other.

That sounds like alot of gear to take on your bike. If you where a still-hunter it would be alot easier. I wonder how hard it would be to drag a deer out behind a bike?

Here is one made for Kayaks by paddelcart.com

and a swiss military one from major surplus

"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
You might want to do a search for provious thread for mountain bikes and mountain bicycles and jsut plain bikes.

There are people on here that like to hunt from thier bikes!  Gets you farther away from the rest of the hunters.

BTW, you CAN carry a deer out on a bike, my experience is that you have to "walk" it out, but still easier than dragging.

waterone

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
This is how we use our bikes in the U.P. of michigan

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
This is an experimental rig I made from an old bike.

Based on my experience with doing this, I need another bike.  :D  

I think big Cruiser type bikes with big balloon tires best for the purpose. I took mine up to the eastern shore and paid a price for the smallish bike and regular tires on that sandy land up there.  :knothead:  

Building the addons is easy. I used aluminum taken from an old storm door on the back framework and just an old wire bicycle basket for the front. Old couch cushions keeps things quiet and rattle free.

The rig is bulky and a bumper type carrier on the front of your truck is the way to haul it around.

Due to all the space requirements of traveling and hunting, I don't think a trailer is practical. I do have a Cabelas supermag hauler I carry broke down in back of the truck and it can easily be attached to bring a deer out.

Building it is easy work and can be done in an hour or two.  :)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©