3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I might catch hell for asking this BUT...  (Read 164 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
I might catch hell for asking this BUT...
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Does Anyone use "expandable" broadheads?  If so.. What for?  And what Kind of results have you had?  I know they are by no means Traditional.. But..Just thought I'd ask

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I might catch hell for asking this BUT...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
I have seen some using a robertson recurve shooting an expandable for mule deer. At 15 - 20 yards on a small buck there was about 3 inches of penatration. I believe it was a spitfire. I am not positive though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Expandables and a trad bow are not really meant for each other as the head uses up around 10 - 20 foot/pounds of energy to open itself. There is energy lost in the actual motion of the blades moving. Then when it is open it takes a lot of energy to do all that cutting with those long blades.

Compounds shooting moderate weigth arrows can generate enough extra energy to take care of what the expandable uses up. A traditional bow just doesn't have that snap on release that gives the compound the extra speed.

Expandables were created, actually brought back, because people couldn't get a broadhead tipped arrow to fly right out of their faster bows. We don't have that problem. Also, if you want to cut a big hole there are plenty of COC heads out there that are nice and wide.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
We haven't allowed "expandable" broadhead topics from day one. Sorry but we don't think they are adequate for traditional bowhunting purposes.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©