3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Randall Knives for Bowhunting  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Randall Knives for Bowhunting
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Does anyone use a Randall knife as their primary bowhunting knife. I am looking at a Model 3 and wanted some feedback from anyone using Randall knives. Are these the best knives there are by popular opinion?  Looking for the best working knife I can find...not one to put in a case and watch   :campfire:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Randall Knives for Bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
If the knife was made by old man Randall then it should be placed in a display case.  The old man died...his knives have been used by some of the most famous servicemen every...When Powers got shot down in his U2 spyplane he got everything back...except his Randall.   It is a keeper.

My fav custom knives are madde by Chris Reeve..Is it okay to put the links up?  Well google him and look up the fixed blade.  He has a nice skinner...Examine the handles... :)
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Ramius, my dad has a randall knife made in 1976, it is in perfect condition, not sure of the model but is has about a 6" blade and an antler handle. would this be one of the knives you are referring to? i can post pics if it would help

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
My Dad gave me a Randall knife for high school graduation in 1990.  I have carried it exclusively and skinned several deer and several hundred squirrels with it since then.  It is a quality knife with a high carbon blade that really holds an edge.  You can skin half a dozen old fox squirrels and it'll still shave.  If you run across one buy it cause they are currently taking orders for 2011.  Just my 2 cents.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
If you opt for something other than a Randall take a look at Doug Campbell's knives in Sponsers Classifieds.  I received one from him last week and although I haven't had a chance to use it I believe it to be a fine knife and very well made.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
I have 10 of them, they are great knives.  I have yet to carry one in the woods.  The model 3,4,7,and 11 with a 4-5" blade would dress anything in North America.  They will work for you if carry them in the woods.  If Randall made a gut hook blade, I would carry it in the woods.

Mark
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline revharry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Randall Alaskan Skinner Mod 11 love em, Later, Harry

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I have a model 10 with a 3" blade I have carried for 18 years. They are great knives and a piece of history.

Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm thinking of a model 3 in 6" blade.  I have a bunch of smaller blade knives up to 5" but I want to head out to a shop and find any 6" blade knife to see if that is too much blade for me.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I can appreciate the value and beauty of Randall knives...but the whole beauty of ANY knife, such as a Randall is in the fact it is uselful art...it's a beautiful tool.  Aren't they made to be used?  If not, seems they are pretty well made to sit in a display case.  I'd say it's a shame not to use it if you have one
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
yep...I agree.  If I get one in five years :-) on plan on using it and using it hard.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
ClintV

I've got maybe a dozen Randalls and about a 1/2 dozen or so of the old Effingham Blackjacks.  Those were some awesome knives and you can still pick them up for about $150 or so.  The newer ones are okay knives for the money but they're not as well made as the Effingham models.  Once in a while I carry a BJ model 5.  Mostly though I carry a Randall model 3-5  or a 7-4.

Here's a pic of a few Randalls and a couple of BJ's I have.  Sorry Seeking Trad Deer.  You have to look at this pic again.

Otto

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Working knife you say?... Can't beat my Helle Harding.  It begs to get used.

I also just got a Spyderco Moran (Drop point) that is nothing but pure function.  However, if you are looking for "traditional appeal", it ain't it.

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
My 3 favorite knives are Randall Randall and Randall. I use every single Randall I acquire . My dad gave me my first Randall in 1978,2nd in 79. It is a model 3 with a 5 inch blade. Used it last month to gut a 7pt Fla whitetail as well as an 8pt Montana whitetail in 05.My model 3 has taken hogs, gators, deer, fish, coons etc to task and held up fine. I like the blade. I think 6 inch is a bit much. You won't gain anything. The model 3 5 inch is very nicely balanced and "feels" right. I also like the model 11(Jay Campbell's blade of choice)4 inch. The Trapper model 25 is a nice drop point in a 5 inch blade and the 26 is much the same in a 4 inch blade.

You cannot go wrong with a Randall model 3 and if you don't like it , call me.

Give your knife some "soul" and use it. Are they the best? I don't know, sharp steel is sharp steel. They have a good balance to them and are designed with hard use in mind. The 3 allows you plenty of curve for skinning but enough straight edge for heavier duty. A great all around knife and a perenial classic.

Otto, you're still my hero.
DonD

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
my dad and I make knives and the only thing that I dont like about Randalls is the 4 year wait, that is the only thing that has kept me from buying one,the used ones are even more expensive if you like the model 10, check out  www.hendrixknives.com,  he makes some really good hunting knives, I have one of his capers, its a great knife, randalls are great, but you should really check out some of the other knives that people have to offer, bill cheatham is another guywho does not have a website, but he makes randall style knives better than the randall shop!!!!
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Good knives but I'm not willing to wait that long. I'll sooner order a custom knife from someone without that long a wait. I don't think the quality of a Randall is any better than many other customs without a 4 year wait.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
I think I only have 2 Randall knives.  A #1 I carried in the service and a #8 (that was my dad's).  Randall makes a nice knife but pick the model that does the job you want it to do.  A 6" blade will make an awkward skinner.  

I don't know how much Randalls are anymore or how long the wait is, but check out Ruana knives.  They cut every bit as well and aren't that expensive.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I met Victor Smith at The Chamberlan Ranch shoot years back. I feel in love with his workmanship. I bought one and never looked back. Like any great knife builder they put their heart and soul into there craft. I use this to make my leather back quivers and everything else.  still razor sharp.

DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Some of you "bushcrafters" might be interested in this ...
 http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=179

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
There's 7 Randalls in the top row. As you can see I like stag.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©