3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Randall Knives for Bowhunting  (Read 2054 times)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Randall Knives for Bowhunting
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Mr Magoo,

The Randalls in your pic appear to be a model 7 hunter-fisherman on top and the model 1 on the bottom. The # 8 is the trout and bird and sports a top edge sharpened about 2 inches.

Order Randalls now-$50 deposit- I think you can order 1 every other month. When they start coming in keep what you like then you can recover the costs and then some on e-bay. If you don't 4 years from now you'll go "man I should have ordered that Randall 4 years ago". But if you just can't wait, e-bay has about 100-200 on there at any given time.
DonD

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Another heretic here: I bought a Randall some years ago and though it was an excellent knife, I sold it not long afterward and made money. I think you are paying more for the Randall name, exclusivity, and a piece of history than you are performance...though they do perform well.
I think they are over rated for either the aftermarket price or the wait for a direct knife. I'm sure that will bring some flames from the Randall lovers, but just my personal opinion. For the money, I think their are many, many custom makers out there that offer products I'd rather have.

Now Ron LaClair posted a pic of the purdiest Randall I've ever seen, all dooded up, that wouldn't mind having...I believe it was the third from the right on the top row.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I've held a couple of Ron's Randall's and they appear to be a dandy knife. I really like the knife on the top left in Ron's photo. I have one of those "Super Shrew Skinners" and it's made by Mike Repke of Black Forrest Blades in Michigan. It's a dandy knife for about $120-150, depending on handle material. There's a writeup on Ron's website about them. I've got another Black Forrest knife that our State Bow Hunting organization commissioned Mike to do with the same blade material as Ron's Super Shrew Skinner.   Ron LaClairs super shrew skinner
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I called Bob Dozier's shop today on a suggestion I got on knives from someone.  The lady I spoke wiht on the phone was about the most helpful person I ever talked to on the phone.  Willing to let me pick handle materials, blade length, sheath type, steel type, etc.  I will probably end up getting a Dozier because of that great lady and what everyone says about his knives(although I am not a big fan of D-2) now and maybe a Randall in five years when it is ready :-).  Any other input on here or via a pm is greatly appreciated...I am no knife expert...yet  ;)
The Lord is my Shepherd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I like that Hendrix knives use ATS34 steel (despite it's Japanese origin   :thumbsup:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
JC,

No flames from this Randall guy. I like them simply because they are Randalls. Like I said, sharp steel is sharp steel. I have many fine "non Randall" knives and they are every bit as good as a Randall, maybe better.I do prefer a good forged blade over a die cut. I like the Randall look, balance and feel. Once you get used to using the cut out in front or the hilt with your index finger , you can never use a knife without it. Unless you want stitches.
DonD

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Randall knives are very collectable and good knives to boot.  However, I'm with JC.  There are some excellent bladesmiths out there who can deliver exactly what you want with less wait time.  I own a few custom knives from ABS journeymen bladesmiths, many who forge thier own blades.  Not only do they look great, they are built to perform.  You're also supporting the craftsman directly.  Check out the requirements/standards the ABS requires for JS and MS ratings.
 http://www.americanbladesmith.com/
 http://www.rheaknives.com/
 http://www.burtfoster.com/
Just a few links to give you an idea of what is out there.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
BTW JC, I think the Randall that caught your eye is a model 19 Bushmaster. It is the knife I've like since childhood.

Time to make a trip to the Randall shop next week. Only 45 minutes away.
DonD

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
I got one for xmas but aint used it
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Don't forget one of our own, Doug Campbell.  He makes some very fine knives.

Sponsor's classified

http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000032;p=1#000031

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
Well I guess I will put up the link..since I have seen some links up.
 http://www.chrisreeve.com

I prefer his fixed blade knives.  Look at the skinner.  His handles are typically hollow, water tight, for storing matches and such.

I love all the Randall Pictures ppl have put up.
Mr. Campbell's damascus blades look great!
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Japanese are indeed great steel makers Clint.  They are also good car makers.  I just try to buy American made when I can...I drive a Chevy.  Toyota is probably better but I'm just old fashioned I guess.  Heck, it is hard to beat a Browing A-Bolt Japanese rifle as well.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I use a Randall Model 8 with Burl Maple handle.  Randall made me up a left handed sheath too.

I've coveted a Randall for decades, so my wife gave this to me for Father's Day last year.
Far and away the best knife I own...

You can get one through A.G. Russell in 4-6 months, but you'll pay a premium for it.

I agree not to write off the Japanese blades.  My second most favorite fixed blade is a Hattori HA-6 Medium Fighting Bowie (virtual twin of the Randall Model 5).

I had Sunrise River Custom Knives make up a  left handed buffalo hide sheath for it, and replace the stacked washer grip with black canvas micarta sanded to 120 grit.  The end result is about as beautiful and practical of working knife as can be had.  You can see this knife's before/after pictures featured on Sunrise River's website (www.sunrisecustomknives.com) on the Repair/Conversion page.

This knife has a permanent place on my S&W 44's gunbelt, which I wear when out on horseback or poking around in the bush...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Alligatordond

I think I have a model 19 slated for delivery in Oct 2011 or so.  And 1 or 2 every year in between I think.  

Yeah, I like the Randalls for all those reasons.  Mystique of the brand and all that stuff.  But I really like how plain old O-1 takes an edge and sharpens easily.  I could care less that it stains.  I like a carbon steel blade with a bit of patina to it.  There are certainly more "sexy" steels out there.  ATS-34, SV30 and all that.  I'm not a memeber of the "steel of the month" club.  I like Randalls, Effingham Blackjacks and Doziers D2 stuff.  Oh yeah, and XX Case knives as well.  One of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Loveless.  THEN you'll hear my wife scream.

Hi, my name's Otto, and I'm a certified Bow/Knife/Gunaholic.
Otto

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I've got two model 26 Pathfinders for my son and I scheduled to be delivered in April. I ordered matching ones when he was 10 (he'll be 14 this hunting season) so he'd have something of a keepsake when he's my age.

I primarily hunt whitetails, while working in an elk hunt every few years. Any one have any experience with this model?

Glad to find this post. thanks.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Emailed Randall with some questions and they told me to look in their catalog. Told them I did and couldn't figure out the options on their Model 3. Never heard back again from Mr. Randall. Emailed Dozier and Alicia gave me the best customer service I ever received so they got my order. Decided on a D-2 KS-3 Professional Guides Knife with an orange G-10 bead blasted handle, thumb groves, etc.   Delivery is about 10 months now so I am hoping it comes for my Christmass present  :)  . Thanks again to everyone for their input.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
STD

That's an awesome knife you've got coming.  A serious big knife that oughta cut up anything you throw at it.  Ya gotta let me know how you like it when you get it.
Otto

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks Otto...all your pm's a couple months ago about Dozier's lead me in their direction.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
I had a Dozier K2...great knife. Wish I hadn't sold it to my cousin (he won't sell it back)   :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Do you guys sharpen the Dozier's yourself or send them back to Bob for resharpening?  They said you need a diamond stone which I have because of the tool steel used in the blade.  Ever have any rust problems with D-2 being that it is not a true stainless steel?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©