3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jawgia Opener  (Read 924 times)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Jawgia Opener
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Its still 90 degrees and humid,(although better than years past)
and the season is almost upon us... However, I am in a funk this year... I don't feel as anxious as in years past...

Haven't done any scouting, haven't moved or even checked on my stands... Trail cam is still dusty and on the shelf... But I have shot the bow a little... fletched up a few shafts (hunting arrows...) Tested them and then sharpened the broadheads... flying well... Forms good and am hitting em where I'm looking... All set!

But for some reason.. I am not too excited... Will probably go out a few tiimes in the early season... but mostly awaiting the cool weather in November... I am a lil scared as I usually am chomping at the bit...       :smileystooges:     Is it just me? Or does the season begin too early? Chiggers, ticks, and skeeters...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jawgia Opener
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
I think you guys with the long seasons are a bit spoiled. We get three weeks of straight archery season here, shorter season adds to the urgency.

Yes I'm jealous.    :p
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you. I recently moved to Adel, Ga for my job. When i did i lost my lease in my hometown. I haven't found anywhere to hunt down here besdies a wma in valdosta that i haven't been to yetand is only open on weekends. I will probably just hunt behind my parents house when i'm in their town to visit. All my equipment is ready just not too many places to go.
Psalm 18:33

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
No sympathy from me. I am pumped! Looking forward to it more this year than in times past.

Lease looks good. Lots of wild grapes everywhere!

Food plots are all in and doing well, thanks to our planting being timed with Hurricane/T.S. Fae.

Stands are in place and ready.

Now, if I could only hit what I'm aiming at, I'd be OK.  :goldtooth:
Remember the Alamo!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
Forecast is for heavy rain this weekend  :-(
Make good shots!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Ours in NC opens Saturday AM . Hot, humid, and 30-40 % chance of rain, and lost most of my better places -  but I will flat throw myself (and my Thermacell) amongst them early Sat. morning (and hope they show up too - LOL).

I don't think I will get to hunt as often this year as in past years but it won't be for lack of wanting too. The mind is chomping at the bit but the body gets tired quicker, and takes longer to recuperate.

Better git-r-done, boys!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
A little cool spell will get you going.:)I don't like hunting in cold weather so Sept-October is my time.  :)   Permone deals with the bugs.Thermocell keeps the skeets back.Mornings are usually good for 2 or 3 hours of comfortable hunting.Shorts and teeshirts can make 2 hours in the late afternoon bearable even on the 90 degree days.When it is hot I have less hunters to contend with on the public land I hunt.  :)  

Saturday our forcast is 91 with a high pollen alert.Just right for starting the season out on public land.   :clapper:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
our season does not open till oct 1st, so it should cool off by then, only thing I hate about hot weather is SNAKES
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I never had a problem with "short" bow seasons as posted above since I bowhunt through the entire deer season. My best bow hunting opportunities is first three weekends of gun season here in MS. I never really liked the early opener in Ga when I lived there..Now I'm back in Ms and miss the early the Ga opener! I'm especially jealous of Marty opening up in early sept. in south fl.......but heck I get to dove hunt longer now and work my lab.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Yep Sat morning here in NC - gonna be hot and muggy. Going anyway and gonna sit through the morning at my first stand, come down lunch - and head back in to my evening spot. CANNOT WAIT.

did not scout much though - but just because I know my place and knew where deer would be - slipped in to hang stands and the sign was there so we are good.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Joey, hunting here Sat morning then headed to the Barred Feather with Matt, Ray Hammond and Pathfinder for Sat night and Sun morning.

wish you were here............
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
The season opened Aug 15th here in the Lowcountry of SC.  I almost went on Labor Day, but the forecast was for heavy rain, so, I didn't go.  I prefer to wait for cooler daytime temps and would actually like to see one or two heavy frosts before I go.  It kills the chiggers!!!!    :mad:    :clapper:    :biglaugh:

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
When I lived in Bluffton SC I was in the woods on opening morning(Aug. 15)...then not again til it got cooler(relatively speaking).
  This year, because of the cost of fuel, fertilizer and time we didn't get to our club in Oglethorpe Co. GA two weeks before the season for placing stands, cleaning up food plots and and planting. We will miss opening weekend too because of lots of different reasons but all members will be there the following weekend. Except for withdrawals I won't miss the 90+ deg temps or the full moon. Maybe by the following weekend the temps will drop a bit and we will have a nice waning moon to enjoy.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Dang guys, we hog hunt all summer walking around in the swamps and NOW it is time to set in a deer stand and it is to HOT? I'll be there and looking forward to a little tree time.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Man oh man!  I can't wait.  I have been dreamin' and schemin' all month!  Damn the mosquitos, full speed ahead!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Skeeters are thick down here purty much year round as well as snakes and redbugs.Thermacel,deet around the boot tops and snake boots and deer season is a joyful for me.Jeff I`ll be coming up your way to Rum Creek in a couple of weeks you should swing by.RC

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Give me a call RC and I'll see where I'm at. Off this weekend then work the 20th and then headed to Unicoi for a four day weekend. Then Cohutta for four days and then Illinois for four days. I'll be free the last week of October then it will be back to Illinois for a couple weeks. I can make it over in the evenings for supper though!!!! And I may even pick up your infamous teacher, hero and guide Biggie and bring him too!!!
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Absolutley! Lemmie know when!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing you fellas. Bad thing about working weekends I don`t get to go to shoots and gatherings and see you fellas....   BUT I get to hunt prime public land almost by myself during the week.RC

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I don't care about the heat.. Its bowseason that I've waited for 9 months. Granted getting hot is not fun but "I can't kill a deer in the house" is what I tell myself.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©