3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looked for Newbie forum to no avail..so here I am.. the FNG :)  (Read 677 times)

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
Looked for Newbie forum to no avail..so here I am.. the FNG :)
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Thinking of getting into Traditional Archery.  Been looking at a Martin X-200 and basically know very little about bows.  Would the X-200 be a good recurve to start off with?  I certainly like the looks of it but, looks aren't everything.  

A little background:  Started shooting firearms at a young age and then started collecting them around 18.. now I'm 26 and having spent tens of thousands of dollars on them, I am bored with them.  I have a small (20 or so) collection that I've narrowed down to what I want to keep but, figured I'd try something new and have always been interested in archery.

A member of Sig Forum directed me to this site and said very good things about it so I figured I'd check it out.

If ya'll know of a good beginners bow that would be better than the X-200 I'm all ears   :)    I just liked the looks and price of it in that offchance that I didn't like Archery and wouldn't be out a whole lot of money.

I also love video games and cars (subaru's)

So.. hiya   :)

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looked for Newbie forum to no avail..so here I am.. the FNG :)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Vermilion,

There will be folks here who know about the bows you are asking about. They can give opinions on them for you.

I started into Traditional archery about two years ago, and have received invaluable help from the members of this site.

I'm sure you will have the same help offered to yourself.

And, WELCOME!   :campfire:

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
martins are good bows, but I would probably get a better custom used bow in the classifides here, thats what I did when I started
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Welcome, I can't speak about the Martin but, I've heard it is a good bow. The first thing you will want to do is determine you draw length. That way you will know what length of bow to shoot. You can do this by putting a yard stick in the middle of your chest and then reach both arms forward, relax don't stretch, and were your two middle fingers reach will give you an approximate draw length.

Have fun and stay safe.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Liking the bow is a good thing. Buy whatever you "like" to start.

Starting with a recurve is a good thing. Starting with a lightweight drawing recurve is even better. Don't buy a bow that is too heavy. Light draw will help you to learn and practice correct form. Having good form is 98% of the battle to becoming a good archer.

When do you buy a bow post back on the trad gang the bow's specs. We will help you find the correct spined arrows for your set up. Good form with the correct spined arrows ='s a whole lot of fun.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Never had a X200, but the Mamba and the Hunter are a heck of a bow.  That said, you could get a much better deal on a used bow from the classifieds.  I've bought and sold many bows here and it is one of only 2 sites that I have complete confidence in.  The other being Black Widow's site, but you can only deal Widows there.  

Like mentioned earlier, figure out your draw length and make sure to start with a light weight bow.  It will be easier to learn the basics and work on form.  You can always go heavier later.  This makes a good case for a takedown.  Get a lightweight bow and if you want to move up in weight you can order heavier limbs.  You still have that very familiar riser (and most importantly a familiar grip) with your new limbs.  

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge available here.  Take advantage of that!

Mike

Offline John Weaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
All the above advice is very good.  I'd second getting a lighter draw bow to start.  Do you or have you ever hunted with a compound bow before?  If so there's a place to start.  Whatever draw you were used to with the "wheelie bow" drop it at least 10 pounds for a trad bow, maybe even 15 pounds.

My first traditional bow was a Martin/ Howatt Hunter at 45# (was shooting 65# compound) and it took a while to get it to full draw consistently.

If you can try one out before you buy do so.  A recurve is a great place to start if you're used to compounds, as the grips are usually similar.  For true fun of shooting though, I don't think there is anything better than a longbow.  Just too much dang fun to shoot.  And of course, that's just my opinion.

Check out the classifieds.  Lots of good bows there.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.  

Good luck,

John

P.S.  You're from MS right?  With a name like Vermillion I wonder if you're near Holly Springs?

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Thanks for all the tips.  I'll be sure to see what my draw length is and see about what weight I want to start with.  I've shot a few compound bows but never owned one myself.  I've always been into medieval stories and history and always had a thing for traditional stuff.  Course I think the longbow is more medieval than a recurve though I'm not sure.

Originally posted by John Weaver:
All the above advice is very good.  I'd second getting a lighter draw bow to start.  Do you or have you ever hunted with a compound bow before?  If so there's a place to start.  Whatever draw you were used to with the "wheelie bow" drop it at least 10 pounds for a trad bow, maybe even 15 pounds.

My first traditional bow was a Martin/ Howatt Hunter at 45# (was shooting 65# compound) and it took a while to get it to full draw consistently.

If you can try one out before you buy do so.  A recurve is a great place to start if you're used to compounds, as the grips are usually similar.  For true fun of shooting though, I don't think there is anything better than a longbow.  Just too much dang fun to shoot.  And of course, that's just my opinion.

Check out the classifieds.  Lots of good bows there.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.  

Good luck,

John

P.S.  You're from MS right?  With a name like Vermillion I wonder if you're near Holly Springs?
Yes, I'm from Mississippi.. Columbus to be exact.

I got my name from a character in a fighting game back on the first playstation  :p   :)

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
Also, for those who've shot bows for awhile be a good draw weight?  Martin says the X-200 goes from 25# to 55#

I'd have to say 30-35 but honestly have no idea haha.

Thanks again.

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Martin's X-200 is the first recurve I owned. I liked it well enough, but now I know the handle is a bit ambiguous, like most procuction bows, made to fit anybody pretty good.

Another thing is the limb tips are not adequate for fastflight type strings. One day I had a nock failure that resulted in a dry fire which destroyed the upper limb, while using the original string. Dry fire is a terrible thing to happen to a bow and certainly not a fault of Martin, but all the bows I've seen take a dry fire with reinforced limb tips survived.

I never regretted the X-200, but the used from classifieds seems like a good idea. At least have a look.

About draw wt., I suggest you find out the minimum required for hunting in your state before you decide.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »
First off welcome!    :campfire:    :coffee:

Lots of good info mentioned above. One thing I would do is try some bows out to see if you like them.

There are quite a few guys from MS here on Trad Gang. I would start another post to see if any are near you and if they would let you shoot some of there bows or better yet is there a shoot happening soon.

Also Copperhead bows are made in MS and if they are near you if may be worth the time to go and see if you could shoot some of there bows so you know what weight works for you.

CS

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
What would be an ideal arrow material that is forgiving for a newbie?  Also what type of head?

Trying to get an idea of cost for whenever I buy my first recurve.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Vermillion, I've always had good luck with aluminum arrows.  I play with carbon from time to time, and think I'll eventually switch to them once I get all the nuances figured out, but I still find my quiver full of aluminum every fall...Mike

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
Finding an arrow/head combo for a bow depends on the type of bow, draw weight and length.

Once you buy a bow come back on and post. You will get a lot of choices to choose from.

I would say a dz arrows with points could run you anywhere from $60 to well over a $100 depending on which brand and model you choose.

CS

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
welcome,
you should be looking at a 30 lb bow at your draw length. I would recommend a set of 6-12 carbon arrows with field points. If at all possible, find a pro-shop in your area and take lessons. You won't be bow hunting immediately and your first bow will not be your last. Don't be intimmidated by others that shoot well. Buy a good used bow but most importantly, GET MATCHING ARROWS FOR YOU and YOUR BOW. The bow is not the most important thing. order of importance is: Form first, and arrows second. You will buy a different bow after a year of consistent practice. Many start out with training wheels (compound bows with sight pins, etc) because they are easier to shoot and hit the target faster than a bare bow, off the shelf (feathers-not plastic vanes). The carbon arrows won't bend like aluminum or break like cedar.Water doesn't affect them, they are fairly rugged now and don't warp. Aluminum is very consistent but you can easily bend the light ones (for your 30# bow)just pulling them from a target.
don't step on any.
ttyl
Rob

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I dunno, but I'd check my local regulations and start with a light bow but one that I could legally hunt with.  I'm not sure what the legal minimum is there but 40-45 is still a nice, easy shooting bow that you probably can (if you so choose) take out into the field with you.

Anyway - welcome and good shooting to you.  This is the right place to be.   :)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
i have to say that 40-45 lbs is most likely too much to learn proper form with. my local pro shop with olympic level & up coaches like 25lbs to start with. If you can't hit the target consistently, please do not go bow hunting until you can. be responsible and ethical about clean kills. IMHO
Rob

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradwannabe:
i have to say that 40-45 lbs is most likely too much to learn proper form with. my local pro shop with olympic level & up coaches like 25lbs to start with. If you can't hit the target consistently, please do not go bow hunting until you can. be responsible and ethical about clean kills. IMHO
Rob
I'm not a hunter so no need to worry about that. I don't mind people hunting and have nothing against it, mainly not a early early morning person nor standing or sitting in the cold unless i'm working Hahahaa!

I shoot all my guns either for competition or just plinking.  I have dove hunted before and its fun but never got into anything else.    :thumbsup:

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
vermilion,
check out my post (i was thinking of you) about the "super sweet beginners bow" i saw on e-bay today.
Rob

Offline Vermilion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradwannabe:
vermilion,
check out my post (i was thinking of you) about the "super sweet beginners bow" i saw on e-bay today.
Rob
Thanks for the email.  I wish I had some cash on me at the moment or I'd have to bid on it.  Probably gonna be a few more weeks before I order/buy a bow.   Got a guy to put a tape measure in the middle of my chest and got an approximate draw length of around 25 1/2"  Now to consider draw weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©