3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Floss for your nocks  (Read 581 times)

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Floss for your nocks
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I tried something the other day and it seems to be working pretty well just wondering if anyone else has done this. I started using dental floss for my nocking point above and below after reading about the idea on here. I was setting up a new string and I served the floss for my nock and then served floss where my fingers go on the string just to try and see if it would help get a nice smooth release and it seemed to make a difference.I don't know how durable it is going to be but wondering if anyone else has tried this? I shoot split finger with a glove.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Floss for your nocks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I've been using waxed dental floss for nocks for years.  Once you get it all set like you want it, burn it in carefully with a Bic lighter and it'll last as long as your string will.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I use fly line backing for nocking points.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Dental floss here too. One above and one below the nock. Leave a little space so when you're at full draw you aren't pinching the nocks. Once you have it dialed in where you want it I put a drop of superglue on it.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
What are the advantages over a brass nock?

Do you split finget guys put one above and one below?

Thank you

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
"What are the advantages over a brass nock?"

Multiple:

1. Lighter
2. Does not tear up your shooting glove with the sharp metal edge.
3. You don't need a pair of nock set pliers to move or change it.
4. When you get through setting your nock point, you can floss your teeth.   :bigsmyl:  
5. You don't have the possibility of cutting, weakening or damaging the string if you crimp it too tight.

I'm sure there are a few more.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
6. It comes pre-waxed.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Everything Ric said plus...
aestheticly I can get a nice smooth round wrap w/string (fly line backing, heavy poly thread from the wife's sewing kit).  Everytime I've used the brass nocks my crimps get mangled- resulting in sharp metal edges (#2 above).  
I use only one nock- above the arrow.
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I have also been using dental floss for nocking points for several years thanks to my bud Ric O'Shay. Before making the change, I used the metal nocking points. One day I noticed that my serving was coming loose. On careful examination I discovered that the metal nock when tightened had cut into the serving and string. I was close to having real problems. Since then I have stayed away from the little metal buggers.   :thumbsup:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I keep waxed and unwaxed in my archery tool box. Unwaxed works well for a wind "tell tale" tied off to both bow tips. The waxed stuff not only works well for nock points but lots of other things around camp and in the woods...not just for teeth anymore!       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tjjsidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Maybe you guys can help me out. I tried dental floss before, but when I tied it tight, it cut into my serving. How do you avoid this. Also, once you have it set in place, how would you adjust it up and down the string if you needed to?

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I use actual nock point tying thread. I think it's made by BCY. It's about the same dia. as serving thread, but it ties nice and snug. It seems to be waxed. Give it a try, it won't wear out like dental floss.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
I use the same nock point tying thread that A.S. uses. It is made by BCY and comes in a 75yd spool.

LBR put it on a string he made for me and I have not used anything since.

Absolutely nothing wrong with floss as I used to use until being introduce to the nock point thread. All the same advantages as floss but is more durable.

CS

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
After reading about several guys losing an eye from bouncing brass nocks I converted to the string nocks many years ago. I use regular thread set in fletching glue. No fancy knots or anything like that. Just place a drop of glue on the serving and start wrapping the thread. If you get the nock rotating on the serving before the glue sets you'll have an adjustable nock. After you find your proper nock heigth just add a little more glue to secure it in place.-ART B

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
The only negative I can see to dental floss is that once the nocking point is set and the floss is in place the only way to change the location is to take the floss off and start over. This has not proven to be a problem to me.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
I have been using dental floss for years for this purpose.  I have never had one slip.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I like the idea of using dental floss, but not the practice.  I have not had any luck getting it to stay, look neat, and give a positive stop for the nock.  Does anyone have instructions how to do it well?  With so many that like it I am sure I am doing it wrong, but I've never seen any good clear instructions on how.  Not trying to hijack the thread, but it would be nice to know how to tie them well.  Thanks.

RonP

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
If you tie a floss nock like a short serving it will hold and you can adjust it. I'm no expert! I have just recently started using floss nocks over the last few months but so far it works fine for me.
 10 or 12 wraps should be enough but how thick or how slight, you will have to figure out for yourself. So far I haven't had to use glue on them. Artificial sinew should work fine also...any waxed thread.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
you can also use serving material but it is a tad more expensive.  just make sure you use stuff that is thinner than your serving so it will bite in between the strands of serving and stay in place
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by portugeejn:
 Does anyone have instructions how to do it well?  
RonP
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000014

This what your looking for?
"......And those who walk in pride HE is able to humble."
Daniel 4:36

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©