3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A man among Gorillas  (Read 610 times)

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A man among Gorillas
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Does the 10 second rule still apply? In other words, after 10 seconds at full draw if you don't feel the strain, maybe you are underbowed.
Blame it on power steering, lazyboy recliners, self-propelled lawn mowers, and all the other gadgets that do everything but wipe our noses.

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Not trying to rub salt but I'm shootin 55# at 28" and I've been thinkin of goin to 65# cause I'm not good at the trajectory thing... I failed geometry  :banghead:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I want to try and stay in this game as long as possible.Shooting a bow that makes me think about getting it back to my anchor is usually to heavy (for me)to shoot well.I like to be able to put 100% concentration onto the target.For me that is mid 50s down.
                  Good Shooting,
                               Craig

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dozer:
been thinkin of goin to 65#  
:notworthy:
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dozer:
been thinkin of goin to 65#  
:knothead:
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I'm a 42 year old gorilla and I shoot a 60# bow (up from 55#).  Gee, it feels good to admit that.  

:cool:

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
I'm 53 and have been shooting traditional since I was 5 years old. First bow was a 15# hickory flatbow, shot it for 2 years. Then Dad bought me a 45# Bear Kodiak,(still have it, believe it is a 1955.) Yes, this is heavy for a 7 year old; But Dad said,"Shoot it, Your not getting another one till you can shoot this one." (Found out years later he got it for free and couldn't afford to buy another one.)

Well I did learn to shoot it, and buy the time I was eighteen I was hunting with bows from 50 to 90#s. I most commonly used 75-80#s.

After 48 years of bowhunting I still hunt mostly with 65-75# bows. They just feel right.

Never have and never will own a cable gun. I was shooting Trad when everyone was aiming cable guns. That's how I got the name Bawana Bowman. Been called that since about 1975. I believe the movement to lighter weights is related to the fact that so many shooters are returning from or have always shot wheels. The majority of them don't have the ability to shoot a heavy weight trad bow. Thought they were really something when they drew that 70 or 80# wheelie, then found out how it feels to hold a real bow at full draw!

Got to admit one thing though: If it were possible to snap shoot a wheelie I may have moved that way when they first came on the market. Glad I had better judgement, even back when I was young and knew everything!    :thumbsup:

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Well, sorry I'm so long winded That I forgot to mention in the above post, I'm not a gorilla. Just 5'9" and 190lbs. Don't stand out in a crowd and can blend in easily with any group. I'm just an average size guy! With 48 years of  developed shooting muscles.

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
I definitely got a cleaner release with bows over 50LBs @ my 29" for many years but at 53 I can't do a dozen flights with mid-50's to low 60#'s anymore. So now I am learning all to focus on a clean release with light bows in the mid to low 40's.
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
I'm certainly not a gorrila. I weigh 135# after lunch and shoot my 62#@28" better than my 51#@28". Trajectory does not seem to be a factor, but the feel does. May be psychological. The heavier wt. seems like serious business while the lighter seems like a toy.

Even after my best cycle crash ever, which included a broken collar bone and rotator cuff tear on my bow arm side, I still prefer the heavier bow.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
I just like the way a heavier 55-65# bow shoots. I draw 31" and the heavier draw weight and long power stroke combined with a heavy arrow just gives me a lot of confidence. To me, confidence in my gear more important than most anything else in terms of shooting well.

Physically I am 6'4" and 235#. I am 48 years old and I do some daily weight training to fight the inevitable strength loss that comes with growing older.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
Barry, whatcha taking with you to hunt with Ray in the spring?
Hey Pat I'll probably take the Horne again unless my Brack non-typical is done by then.  Can't wait to go chase more piggies.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Been shooting bows for about 20yrs. (44yrs old now)and am not a big guy 5'7" 155#,but all my bows but 1 are 60#s and can draw and hold at anchor still with no problem...And it is very comfortable..I know you use a different group of muscles to draw and hold,so all i can think is that my muscle group that I use must still be O.K..Not looking foreward to the day when I have to go lighter...but I'll paddle that stream when I get there..Jamie
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©