3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast Flight vs B50 string noise??  (Read 1342 times)

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
Fast Flight vs B50 string noise??
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Made 8 strings out of the B-50 all worked great, even got a little better looking as I went. Ordered some D97 and twisted up Two and they seemed good as well. Took the bow I've been working on to the last 3-d shoot of the year at my local club to let people critique the bow and noticed a thunk after the shot. Sounded like the arrow was hitting something but turned out it was the string being very loud! After switching back and fourth I'm trying to find a mix that will be as quiet for me as the B-50.

Can I drop a couple of strands out of the D 97 bundle and add a couple of strands B 50 and quiet it down???

Or do the reverse and Drop a couple out of the B50 and add a couple of D97 to combate stretch??

Or would padding the loops be the fix??

Hard to find this kind of info doing searches, any bodies experience here would be greatly appreciated   :help:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Fast Flight vs B50 string noise??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Shouldn't mix the two.  Because dacron stretches so much more than D-97, it will be doing virtually no work in the string.  Are you shooting a recurve?  The harder D-97 will make more noise than dacron when it slaps the limbs at the end of the shot.  If so, might wrap the string in wool yarn where it touches the recurved part of the limbs.  I've found that D-97 tends to be quieter than dacron on longbows.  I haven't found that reducing the number of strands affects noise with a D-97 string.  Haven't found that padding the loops does anything to the sound level either.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
I wouldn't mix the two.  Different materials usually abrade each other.  I always pad the loops of D97.  If you've made a super skinny string, you can try a few more strands to help quiet it down.  Then all the usual stuff to quiet a bow.  I think most bows feel better with "fast flite", but some bows just like dacron better.  I'd also have someone shoot the bow while you listen, it may not be as loud as you think.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Definitely don't mix the two.

Do you have the brace height set the same with both strings?  If so, that may be the problem.  I've found that the sweet spot for the two materials is different (usually I end up bracing bows with a low-stretch string lower than with dacron).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I wont mix the two.

Its a longbow, 50#s @ 28" I draw abou 27 1/2", made sure my brace height was the same when I started comparing the string sound. Both strings are 12 strand.

I even played around with the brace height trying to find a sweet spot that might make some difference, but nothing seemed to help. I like my bows quiet. There is such a loud thunk I thought the arrow was slaping the riser some how. Even went so far as tearing off my normal rest and velcro padding the sight window and any spot I thought could be getting arrow/fletching contact before I switched back to b-50. Night and day difference, It is whisper quiet with the b-50. Louder than anything I've ever shot with the d97. Even tried beaver puffs!

Shot it off the bare wood with the b-50 and no noise except the sweet thump of a quiet long bow!! It really wouldnt bother me at all except this is one of the bows I built and would really like the complete versatility of my other bows. Is there something in the design of a bow that would affect string noise??? I would hate to give a bow to someone and them not be able to use a fast flight string! -Greg

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Are you sure the spine is right on your arrows to use a d-97 string? The sound you describe sounds like the spine is off.If you switch strings most times you have to re-tune the bow for the new string.Shooting a bareshaft will give you a quick check and one thing to rule out.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I use a FF string on a Bighorn  take-down recurve. I took a fellow tradganger's suggestion on wrapping wool yarn on limb ends. It seemed to do ok. But the best tip was to check the limb bolts. They screw into a pocket, but are not threaded all the way up. At the upper area of the bolt , it sits in a plastic cup that bevels the screw flat to the surface. It has a lot of play at the top of the cup when. I wrapped both screws in plumber's teflon tape, and it cut the noise drastically. Evidently the bolt or cup would vibrate on release. Wrap the bolts. Credit to a fellow TG.
Tony!

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
James, I have'nt tried any different arrows, didnt even dawn on me I could have changed the spine!! Soon as I get in from work tomarrow I'm gonna give it a try. I have a dozen different spined arrows to try! Thanks for the tip  :saywhat:  

Thanks again guys for the replies!  :campfire:  -Greg

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »
I've never heard a loud 1 piece longbow. You might try raising the brace height up some as well.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
I would try a 10 strand D-97 string if you haven't already done that, they can be noisy if made with same number of strands as a dacron string. Sliencers wont work either if they are too far down from the tips, try rasing them up and would I go for wool and not the fur, I make my own from polar fleece, I prefer it to anything else. A no stretch string made properly and set up with silencers in the correct spot should be quiter than dacron.
With any no-stretch string I always pad the loops with dacron, not to keep it quiter but to protect the bow tips...Glenn...

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Get you a TS plus string.  Quietest thing I have ever shot on a longbow!  Of course I have found bows have a personality and some like different strings and silencers.  Your mileage may vary.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Heavier shafts will absorb more of the energy of the bow and the noise will decrease. Also, play with your string silencer placement and make sure your brace height is optimum. That should do it, if you want to stay with the FF string.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Surprised about combination strings, I believe on my Treadways, mike makes a hybrid string, of Fast Flight, and I think B-50???

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Im really dedicated to make the d97 work. It works well on my other long bows dont see why I cant get it tuned up on this particular one.

The reason I started shooting long bows was because of how quiet they seemed !

Played with the brace height.
Moved my nock pt from 1/8-3/4+

Not ready to try a new string material till I'm sure its not something I can work around/with. I dont have anything at all against the b-50, its all I've been shooting forever! I just bought a couple of rolls of the d97 and 62xs for around 80-90 bucks. That alone wont let me give up!!! LOL.

Whats up Glenn!! I did build my D97 string 12 strand like my b50. Ill twist a 10 strand one up and pad the loops and see if It likes it. When I was researching FF materials most of the info I found indicated that the D97 was quieter, thats why I went with it. Its about to drive me loony!! I was about worthless today at work thinking about this stuff!!!LOL

Gator, My favorite bow I own and hunt with is my Treadway 56" ntn, 59#@28". I bought the bow from a friend who needed the money. After I shot it for a couple of months I contacted Mike and praised his boyership and ordered a new string. Cut one once with a broadhead hunting alooonnnggg way from home. Never go in the woods without a spare now. Still shooting the original string and it looks great. I was told it was a mix as well, just been reluctant to call and ask how he makes one out of respect for the business thing and all...I know its a difficult industry to be in.

If the strength of the FF is so much greater than is actually needed, why would it hurt to make a string with 7-9 strands of FF then add 2-3 strands of b-50. Wouldnt the b-50 absorb more string vibration with the FF still being plenty strong to carry the load??

Gonna pad all my loops from now on in an effort to preserve my limb tips and prolong my string life. Have never had a string break, always replaced them at the first sign of fray. A guy at my archery club has built several FF strings for me over the years, havent wore one out yet!

Thanks again guys for the replies

:campfire:    :archer:  -Greg

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I have added B50 to FF and never had an issue.. If I were you I'd give it a try.. Find out for your self.
Damn Nice guy

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
I must admit that I haven't used D97 as I am still using up my stock of 8125, it can be very noisy and shoot with a lot of vibration if too many strands are used and the silencers are in the wrong spot. Last time I was in the States I bought several fur silencers but I didn't like them, not enough volume, I have made them out of red fox and they were good but as I said I do prefer the polar fleece to anything else these days.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©