3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: razorcap toughness  (Read 736 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
razorcap toughness
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
How tough are the razorcaps? they look pretty frail? I know some guys used them in Africa and moose and the like, and I am just gonna shoot 115 lb WTs, but they do not look as tough as the WW. Gonna use them anyway casue I cant get a satisfactory edge on the grizzlies.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: razorcap toughness
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I dont hunt moose or buff and such but i have put many a razorcap through a hog. Ive put them through ribs and sholders and have not had a single failure yet.

I have had the furrel bend when hitting rocks and such but never a problem when hitting a animal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
In my experience the 'Caps are much tougher than the Woodsmans.  Much better steel.

The key with the Razorcaps is the ferrule.  From 125 on up the ferrules are good and strong, with everything from 150 and up being all steel.  The 100's are pushing it IMO.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a heavy Razorcap at anything in North America if I had enough bow behind it...great heads!   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
I have the 150 grain version, w/100 grain beass insert as I need 250 up front. I think the ferruls I have are actually 80 grain ferruls but the whole setup together is 150.

OK I figured they were but they jsut do not look it.

Would have stuck with the WWs but I cannot get over the hiss in flight.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
My only experience with them were 100 gr. and they were very weak. I did get good penatration with them but EVERY one of them I shot game with BROKE. Either the ferrules broke or thier photon welds broke. I switched pretty quick because I would have gone broke replacing them. I should add that my practice head broke after shooting maybe 20 arrows with it and that was into a layered foam target. I should add that if you hit the plastic on a 3d deer leg it will break them as well, lost 2 that way!!! After my ring of failures I sent them a letter and  email's and never got a response. Poor customer service in my experience.
  Again I never shot heavier then 100gr.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:50:00 AM »
The weldings on razorcaps are way to weak.

Slowbo, imho, if you think the woodsmans are weaker...then you are doing something wrong in you grinding of the woodsman !

Jacob

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
I havent had any issues with the 200 grain Razorcaps. I like them best out of all the 3 blade heads with WW following a close second.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
I've been using the 200 grain Razorcap since it came out and have no problems with whitetails. It resharpens well on a flat stone (others who tried WW in Shrewhaven camp had trouble sharpening due to original bevel of blade).  Unless you're using wood arrows, the Razorcap is the top of the heap for 3 blades in my opinion.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
The 150gr on up are all stainless steel. The 125gr has an aluminum housing. I have not seen any 100gr razorcaps. I shoot the 150 gr. and really like them, quality broadhead.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I bought a couple of packs of 125 grain heads and wasn't impressed with their strength. I broke a couple of welds and bent 2 blades on one.

I went to another type head.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Well I have two packs now, and I went back to WWs. I had the WWs, but they hiss in flight, tried everything to stop the hiss, but couldn't. Gonna shoot the WWs anyway, hiss and all, heck I even got a hiss from the caps but not quite as prevelant.

Those caps seem tough but I am just unsure about them, that is some thin metal in the blade. I dont look for bone but shoot through animals it is there. I think that WW is a tough critter.

Got them SHARP soooooooo hopefully tommorrow evening I will try one on a deer.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
So what are you gonna do with the Caps??  :saywhat:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I've only shot pigs with them this year.  So far five pigs with the same head.  One of the shots ended up in the spine and another shot went through the shoulder blade.  I wasn't proud of those two shots but I got the pigs.  The other three were "ideal" shots.  Here is a pic of the biggest one taken with the same razorcap.  
Ryan

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I tried a pack of 200 gr. Razorcaps and bent two out of the three on animals.  Went back to my WW's after that, no problems with modified tip.  The WW are tougher in my opinion. Also, I use a butcher's steel to sharpen my WW, so if the bevel is off I still get them shaving sharp.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
This has been an interesting thread!  Lots of different and somewhat inconsistent experiences always get me thinking.

The only Razorcaps I've ever used were the originals (Pre-NAP) and I've never broken or bent one.  Can't say that for Woodsmans myself, (still great heads, have some in my quiver).

Maybe I've been lucky, maybe NAP has comprimised the 'Caps?  I'd be curious to know of those who broke welds if they were NAP heads or originals...hmmmm.   :confused:  

Tim
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
SlowBow, you may be right, I could go out tommorrow and tear up a WW, well tonights hunt!!!! I HOPE

Caps seem ggod come very sharp just seem thin on the blades side.

J

six to one half dozen the other
Always be stubborn.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Tim,
The heads that I've been using this year came straight from NAP.  So far no failures, but I've only been using them for a year.

Ryan

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
The only time I have broken a 150 grain RC is when I buried one bout halfway into a cinderblock wall.  I have put a 150 RC into a 4x4 post at 15 yards and pulled it straight out with no damage ( I think if you do a lot a twisting you can mess them up).  The last deer I shot with a RC, the arrow was buried in the ground 4+ inches with no damage after a pass through.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm a fan of the 200gr razorcap.
Shoots and groups real well, easily sharpened for a 3 blade head, doesn't rust in quiver on a extended hunts, good penetration and gives a nice blood trail.

I was skeptical at first and tested one during  groundhog hunting,its held up well with no problems.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
The only problem I had with my RazorCaps was when a buddy of mine shot his Snuffer SS  THROUGH my RazorCap.  Needless to say, after seeing nothing was wrong with the little Snuffer, I switched...

I've shot many Woodsmen into things that I would not ever consider shooting a RazorCap into (I stump shoot with them); no way do I think the caps are tougher than a WW, no way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©