3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..  (Read 1673 times)

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
For Love of the Game 2008... Update..
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
For love of the game…..

Hello all,

The following is the accounts of a man and his dog. Join Gauge the (bow hunting) Gun Dog Sr. and Todd (just a hunter) Thayn as we explore the world through hunter eyes.

This year started in my stomping grounds… South-east Utah…..

This place holds special meaning to me. While I physically might not be in these mountains, my heart always is. See, I was raised by a single father of 3 children. Many a weekend was spent from the time I can remember fishing the streams and elk hunting these woods. While my wonderful father showed them how, these mountains raised me..

And oh what a beautiful sight. This is what she looked like as I rolled into camp after a long night shift.

Arrival Date 8/21/2008

The first day was spent setting up camp. Dad and my loving other mother, Shelly, stopped by bringing dinner for this wore out shift worker. By the time camp was set up and dinner was ate, I had been awake for well over 30 hours. I was in bed by 7:00pm.

1st day of the 2008 hunting season 8/22/2008

Although I was asleep by 7:00 the night before, the excitement of the hunt didn’t allow for a very restful rest. I was wide eyed and bushy tailed by 2:00 am. I spent the next few hours sipping coffee, eating some Dutch oven prepared biscuits and making sure everything was in my pack including enough water for Gauge and I.

The morning hunt was going to take place in a place called “AJ’s water shed.” It’s pretty high elevation wise and pretty rough country. I had scouted some bucks a few weeks previous, and figured this was my best opportunity to get to the location of these bucks.

There is a trail in the upper terrace of these sheds that 19th century gold miners had carved for pack mules and wagons. The trail carves the slide rock and dark timber in the upper reaches of no mans land.

A couple miles into the hike, I’m paused by the unmistakable sound of antlers trying there best to ruin a poor trees day. I gave Mr. Gauge the proper lay down and stay sign language and closed the distance to what seemed like an arms length from the thrashing.

I very quietly circled directly down wind and gave a few cow calls. The thrashing never stopped but through it all, I could hear another elk making its way to the serenade.
Before it was over, 2 raghorns and a mature bull all showed themselves well within my red zone.  Fortunately for them, my tag is only good for a spike bull or a cow. Here are some departing shots of the biggest bull. He would probably score in the 315 range.

I maxed the altimeter on my GPS to a shade over 11K this hunt, and was thanking the good Lord above my well worn Danner’s were up to the task of the decent.

I got back to camp around 3:00pm. My restless night coupled with the no rest the 30 hours before and a dash of altitude sickness made a nap sound really good. I fed Gauge, ate a snack, did a few chores to square away camp and took that nap. I didn’t wake up; I didn’t stir until the next morning’s sunlight warmed my face. Best I can figure I slept for 15 hours, but trust me, I needed it.

Gauge rested easy as well and when I went outside to check on him, he was calm as ever.

8/23/2008

I was a little upset at myself for burning precious morning hunting hours with sleep. I decided I was going to head to a fruitful elk area many generations of Thayn’s had gone to fill there hearts with happy, and fill there freezer with elk.

I got to the area and made a few cow calls and was rewarded with a cow chirp back and the laziest bugle I ever heard. I heard the herd long before I ever seen them. The crashing in my direction was evidence enough that my late morning was fixing to get a pretty exciting.

They disappeared in a low gully giving me time to find my way to a little better cover. Gauge was at heal and we eased into the edge of a clear cut quaky patch. Now anybody that has seen a clear cut quaky patch knows they are anything but clear. The new growth saplings come up thick. When I say thick I mean you would be hard pressed to see an elk 10 feet away in them. I just took one step inside this patch and watched the heard come.

Everything was perfect. The wind was directly in my face; the elk were very calm and didn’t seem pressured at all. 4 cows and 3 calves with a stud for a raghorn all eased there way directly at me. When the lead cow was perfect broadside I chirped quietly with a diaphragm and stopped her at no more then 12 yards.

I gave a quick look at Gauge, and he was just watching the elk with a little curiosity.

I started the wonderful task of bringing the Muzzy Phantom tipped Gold Tip to all 70 pounds the Bear Hunter TD was capable of delivering at my 30” draw. Everything was smooth. I stared at that black spot that would deliver a perfect double lunger. I was calm. The elk were still calm. Gauge was calm. Everything was calm until the arrow had been released. Sometime after my fingers let go of the string but before anything on the bow had moved, arrow included, I noticed the limb that was going to ruin this perfect thing. Stupid me. That’s the kind of thing I need to catch before I release.

Anyhow, the arrow hit this sapling limb not a single foot in front of my bow and sent my arrow way wild high and right. Thank goodness for a clean miss.

The elk didn’t run, just eased out of the area. I gave my thanks for the just the opportunity I had to so much as witness another elk in the wild and gave double thanks for the opportunity for a shot.

The rest of the day was spent chasing the wonderful, awesome, beautiful mule deer to no avail.

8/24/2008

This day as well was spent chasing those beautiful bucks to no avail.

8/25/2008

Again, this day was spent chasing those beautiful, but clever in an annoying way, bucks with the same result as yesterday.

8/26/2008

I wish I had more to add, but those stupid deer won’t quit outsmarting me!!!!!!

8/27/2008

All right!!!! I’ve had it!!!! Those beautiful bucks my tooshy!!!!!! How can a poor defenseless animal keep giving me the slip!!!????!!!! I’m so mad at this point I don’t even want to talk about it anymore!!!! It’s a good thing I have to go Pick up my buddy from the airport tomorrow.

8/28/2008

Today, Gauge and I had to pick up my buddy Matt from the airport. Matt is one of the “others” so I won’t get into his hunt at all. Besides that, we pretty much go our separate way during hunting hours and just help pack each others animals out.

I also needed a mental break. Those bucks prove once more what they are good at, and that’s avoiding the business end of my bow. All kidding and joking aside, I love to hunt those smart bucks.

8/29/2008
Gauge and I set off for the same woods we’ve been getting got in. I’ve seen some awesome bucks in here the few days previous and I can’t bring myself to give up on the area.

We go to the area, park the truck, situate and get going once more.

I had to circle to get the wind in my face. It was hot. 85 or so I reckon. We ease in and out of the shadows for a few hours and right at about 12:00 high noon, I catch movement up ahead.

About 100 yards out, I see this deer feeding. I just kneel down and watch as this yearling buck stuffs himself on the healthy grass the good spring rains provided. A half hour or so passes and this buck beds down in the shade of some pines.

I think “What a good opportunity to practice. I sign Gauge to lie down and stay, peel my Danner’s, drop my pack and begin the stalk.

I get in the zone. I close the distance to 30 yards perfect. He still doesn’t know I’m here. I think, “Well, I’m not going to take him, let’s just see how close we can get.”

I shave another 10 yards off. Once again, the only thing I can hear is what I’m focused on. And that’s this buck chewing his cud and my slow but steady breathing. My socked feet feel for the pinecones that will give me away.

An hour goes by from when I first start this stalk and I’m now 12 yards from this bedded yearling buck.

Now, I had no intentions of shooting this deer when I first set out to stalk him. By this time in my hunt, I had passed hunting well over 30 small bucks. I got to this 12 yards, and everything was just so perfect.

The words my father spoke years ago echoed in my head. “Ya’ know, Todd, the size of the rack should be the least important part of a hunt. It’s the hunt it’s self that should determine the trophy size of your quarry. Rack size is the desert of the hunt. Not dinner.”

Don’t think I talked myself into shooting this deer. It was the opposite. This deer, or hunt I should say, talked me into it. I didn’t even have to think twice about it. I can’t explain what I felt, other then I felt this deer was the one.

I whistled softly to stand the deer. As he stood, I came to anchor. It was all right and perfect again. I paid a little closer attention to my shooting lane, and when that green light went off in my head, the arrow went on its way.

I’ve never seen a Mule deer jump string so bad in my life. When he jumped, he jumped toward me turning a perfect broadside shot into a quartering to me shot. However, the arrow disappeared right where I was aiming. I knew I got at least one lung and liver. I’m willing to bet my arrow didn’t lose a single FPS going through this deer.

The deer made a death run and he was out of sight through a meadow about 200 yards away. I was confident and knew I would recover him just from how he was running. The afterburners were on the whole time.

This is my arrow probably 30 yards past where the buck was standing..

Close up inspection of arrow revealed no guts on arrow conferming that the hit was still really good even though he jumped string.

More to come,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »
FANTASTIC!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »
I gave the deer the standard 30 minutes before the tracking began. I made my way past the meadow with Gauge on heal. His tracks were pretty easy to spot, but the first 150 yards yielded no blood. I was beginning to worry.

Now a little preface to this, I have worked with Gauge on many things as far as a hunting buddy goes. He is a great bird hunter, and I have done quite a bit of amateur blood trailing with him. He has shown some interest in this, but he has a hard time actually understanding if we are blood tracking or bird hunting. I think he is thinking we are blood tracking birds. This can be a confusing mix, but mentally he is by far the smartest dog I have ever worked with and know that with some age and experience he will be able to do it all. I hope. After finding no blood, I decided I would give him the rains for a little while and see what he could do.

I snapped these pictures as it happened. No acting here.

I let Gauge smell what we were after, and he showed interest in the blood after a moment of sniffing.

This is where I lost sight of the buck. I thought he ran right through the biggest gap in the trees.

“Huntem’ up, big dog!” I gave the order and he was off.

This is where his nose first hit the ground.

This is his “Confirming” stance.

I walked to the spot and sure enough, a few drops were found. "What a good boy!"

You’ll have to forgive me for not getting pictures of the actual blood trail. I actually got pictures, but the trail was so miniscule as the pics don’t show a dang thing. But, rest assured, Gauge played a crucial factor in finding this deer that wasn’t bleeding.

Gauge would confirm and I would go check. At the time, I was scared of getting off the trail. He would be right on the mark, but I wouldn’t check the ground close enough. He finally got board with this and he went and laid in the shade. Sure enough, every time I would find blood on my hands and knees, there would be Lab prints in the ground by the blood. I sure wish I would have just listened to him. A tracking job that took me close to 3 hours would have taken less then ½ hour with Gauge.

After about 400 yards of tracking, the blood started getting more profuse and I knew we were getting close. The deer never slowed at all. His tracks indicated his afterburners where on the whole time.

After about 450 yards of tracking, I told Gauge, “Gauge, where’s my buck?” He went about 50 yards further and confirmed again. This time I was going to believe him and it took my breath away to see Gauge literally standing on my buck.

What a relief!

Sorry about the photos and the lack there of as meat preservation was top priority by this time. Field care came first.

Gauge, Todd and how proud I am of my bow hunting gun dog.

Still more to come. That elk tag is burning a whole in my pocket.....

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt   :thumbsup:

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Great Story, Todd!!!   :thumbsup:   Congrats on the buck!!! To me memories in the field are the best trophies...Thanks for taking us along!!   :archer:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Well done.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Great hunt Todd, Keep it comming.
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Excellent!!!

I was glued to the screen the whole time!!  Way to keep on the trail and and excellent trophy well earned!!!!

Congrats!!!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
great job, Todd, keep it comin'..  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Nicely done and nicely told.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Very cool.Felt like I was there.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
The fact that you can hunt with your dog at heal is the coolest part! Nothing in the world like a well trained, well behaved dog! (wish I still had one, LOL). Congrats on the buck and good luck with the elk.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Man that was awesome!! Thanks for bringing us along!!  :thumbsup:
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
That's cool! I've never had dogs, but I would have never imagined that it would be possible to bring your dog along on a deer and elk hunt.

Offline Lawrenceu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Great hunt.  Thanks for sharing that with us.  It makes me wonder if I can train my Boykin to hunt more than birds and waterfowl with me.  Hmm. . .

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Great job ! Looks like good eatin right there. Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Great story, I would love to hunt such beautiful country. Yeah, sometimes our dogs are smarter than we are, as I have been shown more than once.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Good going, Todd!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©