3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Awesome Man!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Todd, I was following your updates thru Tracy...good stuff bud...Congrats!!

Looking forward to more...good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Todd, Your doing a great job here bud. Like I said you need to put this in a magazine article.

You give ol Gauge a treat for me sure miss you guys. Awsome pics, I just wish I could have made it out there this year to watch you two in action.   :)  

Like Curt, Looking forward to alot more  :thumbsup:  

Tracy  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline bearbowfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
always like hearing peoples hunting stories
and this was a good one

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Congrats! I have a lab that looks exactly like your dog... I guess I should get him on the blood trails  :D

Thanks for sharing.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Todd,

Awesome man, I sure fell in love with that country.  Thanks for taking us on your hunt.

Nathan

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Thanks all for your wonderful comments. I'm deeply humbled by them.

The story will continue one way or another. My work place server decided that now was a perfect time to block photobucket after 3 years of use and me right in the middle of my story...... I grit my teeth as I write....

I've made a complaint to our IT department, and hopefully they will unblock photobucket.

I'm sorry, but the rest will follow. Somehow, someway.

Thanks once again. It is truely my pleasure to share this with you fine folks.

Take care,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
This is a test photo of one of many passed bucks on a new photo host.

This is a young but tall 4x4 that was running with a certifiable HOSS. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the buster bucks when I was stalking the big guy. When this buck stood I knew the gig was up and shot him with my camera instead of my bow. This pic was taken at about 15 yards. Gauge was about 30 yards back watching with his ever wondering eyes.

Can every one else see this Ok?

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »
It was back to work for a few days, and a long few days at that.

I got back to camp the evening of 9/3. The work week was long, but the 4.5 hour commute to hunting camp seemed an eternity as the odometer wouldn’t click fast enough. And as Trooper Scott with the Utah Highway Patrol pointed out, they better start clicking a little slower, or my insurance agent will like his paycheck a little better. Thank goodness Trooper Scott was a hunter and a lover of chocolate labs. He let me off with a warning. He understood.

9/4/2008

Well, the mule deer hunt was over. To this point, I had only devoted the two hunts to elk and had seen 4 bulls, 4 cows and three calves, with a more then perfect shot opportunity. The lure of that same honey hole that I missed that first cow was strong this morning while sipping coffee. So much so, that I finally realized how a trout feels when a Jakes, gold with red dots, Spin-a-lure is presented with in striking distance of his nose. I even mentioned this fact to Matt over our by now ritual of left over Dutch oven biscuits.

I made the same round as I had a few mornings back. Gauge and I made our way to the same stand of clear cut quaky’s as before. The “Primos Hyper hot lip single” made the same serenade. The Same lazy bugle echoed from the same location as before. My spine shivered.

I worked them for while, but they didn’t want to move out of the comfort zone of the other side of the gully. This could mean one of two things. The elk were either getting a little more pressure or it was getting closer to the rut and a new bull had moved in on that stud of a raghorn’s cows. I was left with only one option and that was to see if I could get closer to the heard.

With Gauge in tow, we set out.

I couldn’t hear any elk talk, but felt I was close to the heard. I had left the quakys and now I was set up on the outskirts of a pine forest with just enough oak brush to worry a fellow about finding a clear shooting lane. Just the kind of stuff elk love.

I made Gauge stay down wind of where I thought the elk might be, and moved about 50 yards closer. I tooted the only instrument I know how to play, and that lazy bugle was returned with a little more meaning this time.

The popping branches confirmed I had elk once more heading my way.

Before I seen the elk I fished my camera out of my pocket, and snapped this picture when the bull first appeared. It’s hard to tell in the pic, but this bull will score in the upper 340’s.

I figured that this was a satellite bull. I was calm for a minute, but as I was waiting for a better opportunity to get some closer pictures, cows started talking back and forth initiating a massive increase in my heart rate.

One by one, cows started filtering out of the woodwork while the bull never moved. Next thing I knew he had about 10 cows and I don’t know how many calves in front of him. All heading my direction.

Sorry once again for not getting more photo’s, but from that first cow chirp, Todd the photographer became Todd the hunter and taking photos took a distant back seat.

This was the first time I have ever seen the whole herd worked up while I was calling. I’ve called in several herds of elk before, but never have every single one of them had something to say about it.

Once again, it was a perfect set up. Everything in me knew it was only a matter of time before I was armpit deep in the chest cavity of dead elk.

The bull ran forward of the herd and separated out a young piece of cow elk meat. The others kind of lingered back no further then 40 yards of my position. One step at a time, the two elk, bull and cow, yarded their way closer. 30, 28, 25, 22, 20….. “Ohhh man! Here in about a second, Todd, you will be taking this creatures life…..”

When she was perfect broadside at somewhere around 17 yards, I drew. I hit anchor, found that magical dark spot that covered her lungs, and everything in me read the green light. Everything except those stupid three stooges I like to call my release fingers…..

When my mind said, “release” my fingers held the string and I done one of those famous double pump attempt at a release. Popping the clutch is what I like to call it. When I finally re-hit anchor, the only thing in me that thought this was a good time to release was those same stooped three stooges I like to call my release fingers……

Once again, when it was all done with, I had to give thanks for a clean miss. As an archer, you don’t get very many of those. A clean miss I mean. This was the lowest point in my hunting career and to say I’m disappointed in myself is an understatement.

The walk back to the truck was spent in reflection, cursing my self with every stride. I’ve told this story before here, but back in 2006, I missed a giant Colorado bull. I did the same stupid double pump clutch pop. I really re-evaluated my place in archery.

Ol’ Gauge sensed my disappointment and frustration and when I stopped to get a drink of water and continue with my evaluation under the shade of an ancient pine, he stuck his cold nose on my face, and gave me a lick that started at the shirt line of my neck and ended at my hairline of my fore-head making sure to distribute a good sized portion of dog slobber to my inner ear. “Yuck!” I couldn’t help but to pat him on his head as my other hand tried to wipe the slobber. I also couldn’t help but turn that frown upside down for a moment.

Once I reached the truck, it was back to camp to take my frustration out on the target I had. Whack, whack, whack… One, two, three, the arrows went where they belonged. A hundred times over.

It wasn’t my shooting. It was my mentality. Had I forgotten about the hunter and tried to become a killer? The questions wouldn’t stop, nor would the gut wrenching butterflies. Butterflies my bottom, what I have every time I think of that is not gut wrenching butterflies. This is far more severe. I would say I have the gut wrenching taradactles.

Enough of my sob story. I’m sorry to bore you with what I was thinking. I stayed in camp the rest of the day, and turned to something that makes every fat boy happy, and that’s FOOD!!!

It was to be Dutch oven taters, Dutch oven beer battered biscuits, along with a main course of BBQ’d wild bared boar pork chops complemented with a touch of Devil’s Spit sauce.

And to make sure and reflect and calm down by the hypnosis of a comforting fire,

Todd

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Fantastic story!  I can almost smell the biscuits...
Thanks for sharing!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
The pics on the new host are lookin great to me!!!

Great story indeed.  Love the fire pic(my hands at the screen in a feeling the fire, warming them up rubbing motion)

Thanks for sharing!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
This is my second time posting on your thread...Thanks so much for sharing!!  I am stuck at work and won't get to hunt till the fourth so this Is about the best thing I've read in a long time!   :clapper:   Can't say thanks enough!  I found myself wiping my own face and neck after Gage gave you the "once over"
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Yep looks like the picks are working fine bud.  :thumbsup:  Great pics !!

Marla and I were   :goldtooth:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Todd, that sob story isn't boring...brings every one of us right there with you..  ;)    :bigsmyl:  

keep it comin'...  :thumbsup:  

It's raining like crazy today in Kansas, nothing better than a good story  :campfire:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Todd,

This has been great so far. I had to cancel my elk hunt this year due to our business moving locations and some other stuff.....this has made me want to be out there, but has relieved a little of the "pressure" as well, thanks for taking me along.  My Lab looks just like yours and you got me thinking about his potential in the field.  Boy Gauge is a great dog I love how he seems to know when to shut up and wait.......we should all be so lucky to have partners like that
  :biglaugh:
Good work,

Allan

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
9/5/2007

It was a brand new day, and luckily the blues didn’t last too long. I awoke with a fresh new outlook on my season, and had a little extra giddy up in my attitude. So much so, that I thought I would go to a honey hole I call “Brave to get there hollow.”

Now Brave to get there hollow is a wonderful place. Teaming with elk and deer both. I love to hunt here. The only downfall is you have to be one brave hombre to get there.

In order to get there one has to cross two canyons, neither of which is all that bad to cross physically speaking. I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the mountains of South-eastern Utah, but the bear numbers are very generous in a kind of spooky way. These two canyons and I have a history.

This story is not suited for tale here or anywhere else other then around a camp fire, so I won’t get into it. I’m just going to say a bear and I had a huge disagreement on whose life was more important.

Now I fully expect to run into bears while crossing these canyons. It’s a given. Here’s why. Here is what you have to paw your way through in order to get to the other side of both of these places.

And at no time are you more then a few yards from a tree that looks like this.

We made it through the first one alright only seeing the fleeing butt of a young boar.

Gauge and I topped the rim of the first and started to descend into the next when that feeling came over me that I might just ought to turn around right now and save myself, Gauge, and some poor bear time because we inconvenienced each other.

I didn’t listen to that feeling because if you do on this mountain, you won’t get much hunting done.

We made it to the bottom uneventful. I was going out of my way to be a little noisy and make sure any bears out front of us would know I was coming.

I was about 1/3 away from the top of the 2nd canyon when all of the sudden Gauge hackled up and started growling and smelling to our left. I instantly froze and clutched for the can of bear spray.

I didn’t see anything, and said, “We only have a little further to go, ol boy. C’mon!”

I took one more step and at no more then 10 FEET, two cubs, both no bigger then gauge started pawing there way up the closest quaky.

I instantly did a 180 and made it back to the bottom of the canyon in just a few leaps. Gauge was right there with me. I stopped in the bottom and looked back up, bear spray ready, to make sure momma bear wasn’t on our heals. It was no surprise to me to find out that she was.

She was about 50 yards directly up hill from me, and when I made eye contact she showed her unpleasant side with a nasty pop of her teeth. I sprayed the spray hoping the fog would deter her. I was unpleasantly surprised once again to find out my bear spray was foam.

Now I’m a fat guy, but I would bet the fastest runner in the world wouldn’t have beaten me running out of the bottom of that canyon. I feel I must warn you here. Running is not the thing to do most of the time, but I could tell that she didn’t want to eat me, she just wanted me the hell out of there and she was going to do everything in her power to make sure my threat to her young ones was neutralized.

When I did top out, I looked back once more to make sure she still wasn’t on our heals and I still wasn’t surprised to find out she still was.

Now I was all business. I yelled “HEY YOU STUPID (insert cussword)!!!!! I’M NOT GOING TO FIGHT YOU TIRED!!!! YOU WANT SOME, COME GET IT.!!!!!!!!”

I picked up a rock and chucked it at her. At my yelling the protector in Gauge came out and he voiced his opinion on the matter as well. Hackled up and all.

With hesitance, she listened to her fear and common sense, and angrily retreated to her cubs.

I think me and Gauge could of whipped her, but we both would have had hundreds of stitches before it was over.

I got back to the truck, looked over my shoulder at the Brave to get there country, tipped my hat to it and drove off.

It was back to camp to re think my strategy. I thought I would think it over subconsciously and took a good nap.

Todd

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Foam!!  :scared:    :scared:    :scared:   :knothead:  

See, All that treadmill work paid off  :biglaugh:

Tracy

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks bro, haven't laughed this hard in a long time.  Brings back so many childhood memories of Northern California bears.  Had to cancel elk hunting this year so thanks..got to go along with you.  God bless

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
After my nap, I thought I would go check out some low country wallows. Not so much for me, but buddies of mine that might join me next year.

Do you see a wallow here?

How about now?

Here she is. Tucked in a low depression in the middle of a huge sage flat.

This spot is hopefully Dan’s (you know who you are, Dan. I hope you are still thinking about next year.) blind for next year. There was plenty of sign around.

Gauge in his never ending quest to destroy the local hornet population. He also couldn't help but wallow his own self.

A view of camp from Dan’s wallow.

I know the general area where this group of elk usually bed from many years of following them. The prevailing winds here however blow from this wallow directly toward their bed. I thought I could circle the on the quad, get the wind in my face, still hunt closer and maybe call in some elk. Well, the elk decided they would bed right directly on the quad trail this day. When I drove through I booed them into the thick cedars. This is something they are plenty used to, I just didn’t figure they would be to call receptive after my intrusion. There were quite a few elk here this year. More sign then ever for this time of year.

It was back to camp after some long overdue nephew and niece gooching.

Todd

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 05:09:00 AM »
Awesome thread buddy!!! Enjoying every word   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©