3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..  (Read 1676 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Love of the Game 2008... Update..
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
Great story telling!  You are a talented writer.  I am thoroughly enjoying this!  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline cajnhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
Great Stories Todd. Being from south Louisiana I have always wanted to hunt the west. Reading your stories and seeing the pictures are almost like being there. May be some day I can venture out west with my trusty Bob Lee in hand. Thanks for the adventure.
Black Widow PCH II 58" 57#
Black Widow PLV 64" 57#
South Louisiana, USA

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Great story, loving it!
hunt it

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Great post!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Nice story Todd. Again congrats on the buck. When hunting in bear country, I always find it better to be faster than the person you are hunting with LOL   :biglaugh:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
9/6/2008

Today was my last real shot at getting an elk. I decided that since this was the bottom of the ninth, and I was down by two, I better swing for the fence and hunt an area that has never let me down.

In fact, the last 4 Utah elk that I have taken with my bow have come from this spot. The travel time to get there is about 1 and ½ hours from camp, so I was awake and off extra early.

Upon arrival, I found the wind was blowing erratic at best.  I try to make the best of my current situations, and hunt the best I can. I studied the wind for a good 15 minutes before I started my hike and determined that in order to hunt this local in the most efficient manner, I would need to make a big circle and hunt this area from the opposite direction of normal.

It took me a few hours to get the wind in my favor. As I was hunting back down, I was once again interrupted by the sound of a bull thrashing a tree. I lowly and slowly made my way to where I thought I could get a look. About the time I got close, the darned wind hit me in the back, thundering the bull. I did get a small glimpse of the bull and two cows making a hasty retreat.

I walked over to where the bull was thrashing and found this tree. It’s a hard life for a small pine in these mountains. Imagine how big this bull had to be if his fronts where down at the lower part of the rub and his 5th and 6th point where up top.

I found this ancient wallow about 20 yards from the tree. Every wallow I found was hit, but not real hard. I never heard a bugle I didn’t instigate. The rut is off to a slow start this year.

By now it was mid day, and the wind was swirling really bad. I decided that I had better watch this wallow and see if any more elk would make their way to it. Matt was with me as well and he snapped this pic of Gauge and I. This is a prime example of the diligence one needs in order to watch wallows.

The nap didn’t last to long however, and we were off to the next stand of quakys. We worked real slow. It took us another couple of hours to get to the intended destination. I could smell elk real heavy and the wind finally stabilized. It was a good setup.

I gave a few chirps. Nothing. I gave a few more. After about a half hour of no response, I decided it would be best to move on a little further. When I stood, movement to my right caught my attention.

I gave a few more chirps, and finally the response I was looking for echoed through the canyon causing a tremor to shake my body. What a great feeling. This was the first full hearted bugle of the entire hunt. I could tell it was a young bull, and a few minutes later a 4 point raghorn stumbled from a small clump of oak. A few seconds later, a spike emerged with him.

This is it. This was the last chance I was going to get.

I worked them with my diaphragm, but couldn’t get a clear shot. The raghorn started raking a tree, but that was put in the back of my mind as the spike started circling down wind.

When he was about 25 yards and broadside, I barked to stop him. I eased the bow back, found that my mark, and instead of having thoughts of being armpit deep in his chest cavity, I started having visions of the last two cows I missed. I eased the bow back down, closed my eyes, told myself to make a clean release, pick a spot and follow through.

I opened my eyes drew again, picked a spot, and once again the thoughts of those two clean misses clouded my mind, and the horrible vision of this awesome animal being wounded and un-recovered by my hands was more then I could bare. I eased my bow back down and set it on the ground. I’m not the spray and pray type, and my mind was not right.

I continued to work the spike for Matt. In order for him to take the shot he would have had to shoot directly over me in an unsafe manner. It just wasn’t meant to be but what a wonderful experience none the less.

It’s a weird feeling walking out of the woods on the last hunt of your hunt. Not in a bad way, and other then the P.H.S.D. (Post Hunt Stress Disorder) I can’t help but give thanks for just another breath of that mountain air.

This concludes Utah archery season. Thanks for coming along with Gauge and I.

Chapter two of “For love of the Game”……. Kansas….. HERE WE COME, BABY!!!!!!

Take care and best wishes to you all,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
great job, Todd  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Great job of story telling my friend   :wavey:  November can't get here soon enough and I should be able to shoot a bow by then  :pray:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Great story! I really enjoyed this one. Gauge looks a lot like the lab I have at home. Great dogs.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Thank you for the story Todd  :wavey:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Man Todd that is the best showing of self control I have seen in a long time, good on ya!!!

I have really enjoyed this from the beginning!

Thanks for sharing!!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Excellent story telling and great pics!

Makes me wish I were there.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Yep, that is cool, miss my Lab but never deer hunted with him at heel. This next year I will have to do this with my next pup.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks for taking me along on that hunt. I enjoyed it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Excellent story! Thanks.

:clapper:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Damn! This site is breaking out with Hemmingways! Some of the finest hunt story I've ever read. Thank you so much and keep it rolling in Kansas. Good Hunting!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Good luck in Kansas Todd. Hope to see pics of you with one of those bucks Tracy is keepin tabs on.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Well,

I can't believe how fast September faded into October, October turned into November, and now we are just days away from Christmas.

I have a Kansas tag in burning a hole in my pocket and unfortunately thats all the action it will get this year.

Some events that happened at work will prevent a Kansas hunting trip this year, but I can't thank Tracy enough for the envite. Sorry I can't make it this year, bud. I sure hope you are elk ready come September!!!

I just thought I would update you all.

I just got word that I have a wonderfull present coming in the mail soon.........

Hopefully I will be eating Snowshoe and wild rice for a Christmas dinner, and maybe end this thread with at least a small game hunt anyhow......

Take care all, Happy Holidays!!!!!!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:  great story so far, will be waiting on the out come of the small game hunting.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Nice job writing this up. I was in the moment with you. Hunting at 85 degrees must be something.

I love the country. Would be a great plac eto have my horse with me.

Jer BEar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©