3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tapering jig...  (Read 371 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Tapering jig...
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Who has used this method of tapering arrow shafts?

http://www.tradgang.com/taper/

I still hand taper with a small plane but I'm leaning towards trying this method?

How long does the sandpaper need changing and will double sided tape do the trick to hold it in place?

Many thanks,

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tapering jig...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Don't use the sandpaper.  I never had much luck with the double sided tape.  Instead clamp two files to the angle iron.  It'll go quicker with less fuss.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Al, check out Wes Wallace bows website and their accessories page. On there you will find a barrel taper tool for a belt sander that is very slick. Made by Tim's Taper tools. Hope this helps. Flint

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Does anyone know if the 10" arrow tapering tool that 3 Rivers sells is any good. I know its made by Woodchuck and I do like there power tapering tool for nocks and points. I've been thinking of buying it but would like to know if anyone has used it.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
I have made and used that very jig. It made lots of arrows. I would go with the above post and use a file as I had the worst time with sandpaper although it did work.
happy tapering
I love tapered shafts
blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Tim's Taper Tool works with a table saw fitted with a sanding wheel, so you'll need to change that out often.  The shaft taper jig listed here at Trad Gang is mine, and though it does work well enough with sandpaper (it'll grind a dozen tapers before it might need replacing), files are the better way to go.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Dozer,  I have one of the 10" Taper jigs from 3 Rivers and I have done several dozen shafts with it...Make sure you set it so you don't chatter the strokes and take very, very small strokes and turn shaft about 1/16th of a turn after each stroke and you will find the jig works great...If you like spending time in a shop doing everthing by hand this is a good jig to have...If you are in a hurry maybe the sanding method would be the way to go...You also need to keep the blade on the plane sharp to maintain smooth strokes...Also if you are tapering from 23/64 ths to  5/16th have nock by your side to make sure you don't take to deep of a stroke out when you get to the end near the nock...Directions came with my jig and experiment on a old shaft or two before you go "HOG WILD" with it...   :thumbsup:  God Bless , Keefers <")))><

Offline Hog Wild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Here's mine. Files Welded to Angle Iron...  :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :archer:    :jumper:  

Sawdust, Wood Chips, and Shavings are as close to Potpourri as I get!!!!!!

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I use a Ridgid belt sander that oscilates up and down. I clamp a piece of 1" angle to the table against an already tapered shaft. It does a 9 1/2" long taper. I've done a hundred shafts without having to change paper. It only takes 10 sec. to taper a shaft that is chucked in a drill, and has been accurate to the thousanth.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Thnaks for the pics Hog Wild, I'll do something like that also.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©