3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is 40# weight enough  (Read 901 times)

Offline emusmacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Is 40# weight enough
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
I know there are some trad gangers that are thinking I'm stupid and ignorant for asking is 40#'s heavy enough for deer. and let me start by saying that I do not know the history of trad archery and I'm an ex compound shooter. I don't understand why people are so sensitive about that question, I know there are many who have killed deer with 40# weight, and I plan on hunting with that weight, but only until I get my 52# built. Just wanted some info from other trad gangers.

Offline Lawrenceu

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is 40# weight enough
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I've killed a lot of whitetails with 40# bows.  That's all I used for  years when I was younger.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
i personally know of several deer that were killed with much less. 40# is plenty

Offline Hog Wild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Let us know while your eating Backstrap...  :saywhat:    :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Sawdust, Wood Chips, and Shavings are as close to Potpourri as I get!!!!!!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
There are many who have killed whitetails with that weight...and less.

There are many people who have bounced arrows off deer with that weight also.

Everything must be perfect- arrow flight, sharp and I mean sharp broadhead, and a close shot on a calm deer.

No one thinks you are stupid and ignorant. Im not certain I understand why you are asking, though, because you have told us you've already decided you are going to hunt with it regardless.

Whatever we say will either make us look like heroes- if we call it right and you kill the deer quickly and cleanly- or we look like chumps to you or are your mental scapegoats, or worse, as you tell yourself it was OUR fault because we said it was OK and the deer didnt die quickly and cleanly.

If you are looking for a clear conscience I dont think you will find it because some will be all for it and others will say no.

Its all about respecting the animal, and whether you can get the job done or not, are disciplined enough to wait for the perfect opportunity, know how to really sharpen  a broadhead well, and know where to place that arrow. Then you will need good blood trailing skills or help if the deer doesnt fall in sight.

ONLY YOU CAN KNOW THOSE THINGS not those of us who do not know you from Adam's housecat.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
I hunted with this young man (Cody) this last weekend he used a #40 Baer bow his Grandpa gave him,

Shot placment:

TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
There was a guy who killed a elk with a 48# self bow and a Snuffer. The shot was 4 yards but still.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Looks like that woodsman did not bounce off that hog.   ;)  

40lbs is just like shooting 60lbs.You need to be able to make a good shot with either.Do that and they both will work just fine.Don't do it and you are counting on luck with whatever weight you are shooting..  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Ray has got it, keep the shot 15 yards and under and put it 3"s behind the shoulder amd dead deer. Put it 6"s in front of the last shot I mentioned and ya may find it, but ya may not. 2 seasons ago I had a real bad shoulder. I shot a 42# at my draw Widow. 29" arrow with 125 grain Snuffer, total weight 375 grains. I killed two does and coyote with the set-up. One was a fawn at 4 yards through the shoulder blade and the tip of the snuffer just poked out the off side, but remember it was a 5 month old deer. The second was big doe(130#s dressed)she was at 12 yards I hit her a bit back but she was quartering slightly away, the head stuck in the off shoulder blade. She went 40 yards. The coyote was a big female(42#s or so) she was 25 yards and was almost dead away. I hit her in the left ham and it exited just behind the off shoulder with about 6"s sticking out, she whirled and bit it off and was off, she made it about 70 yards and left very little blood. I believe it will do, but if ya can shoot more weight it would not hurt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
I took a 120# doe this week, wed. morning at 22 yds, quartering away with a 1976 BW1226, #46@28. Hit her between fouth and fifth rig from back, through a rib on off side, busted a hole in the shoulder blade, double lung. Ran 45 yds and piled up,didnt get out ofsigh! I was using aVapor 4000, 29", 150 wensel woodsman, total weight 425grns. I have also shot 100+ shots, at lest 3-5 days a week since spring, with several different bows, and this also was my 53rd deer with a bow, confidence helps.  Make sure you can put it where you look, quartering away preferably, the heavier the shaft/head combo the better. Hope this helps. Sam.
samuel koger

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
#45 is all i ever use just have real sharp 2 bladed heads and shot placement and ya should be eating back straps  :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
There isn't a game animal in north America that hasn't fallen to a 40# bow. In Alaska 40# is legal for sitka black tail deer, caribou, black bear and dall sheep. 50# is required for moose, brown bear, bison and mountain goat. I've seen photos of wood shafted arrows with stone points that passed through a white tail shot by a 30# self bow.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
What Ray said...you've already made up your mind...why the question?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
Are you pulling the full 40#'s or a tad more. I bought a Redwing hunter that is 40# @ 28" the man I bought it from, told me that he had taken several deer with it over the years, I had no reason not to believe him. If you choose to use a 40# bow for deer you will would want them close and quartering away for sure. Be sure to keep us up to date.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
If it is legal in your area, and your setup in tuned in go for it. As most of said already your shot needs to be a good one but that is just not with a 40# bow it is with any bow.

I have been using a 45@26 recurve for the last couple of years and have killed many deer, hogs, and small game with it. I personally keep my shots to 20 yards out of the treestand and 25 on the ground. I have yet not recovered an animal "knock on wood".

From reading your post you seem to have already made up your mind so go out and have fun this season.

CS

This topic has been highly debated on here everytime it comes up and I agree with the statement shoot the most bow you can but in saying that if 40# is it for you and legal go for it.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
I am sorry but I have never heard of a 40# bow bouncing off of a deer. Maybe using a blunt, heck even a field point will penetrate soft tissue. If you have arrows that are tuned properly 8-10 grains per pound, a sharp broadhead and good shot placement 40# is more than enough for deer.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Learn to shoot the forty well.  Spend the money you earmarked for the 52# on arrows.  Go fling and enjoy a wonderful life.    :D
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
As long as 40# meets your state minimum then heck yeah!  If not, then no way!

:)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Scott,
Then you haven't been around other hunters a lot. I have 50 guys hunting suburban deer with compounds in a group I started, and have been bowhunting with young people a lot during my time.

There's been many shots bounced off shoulder blades, ribs, and sundry other hard spots on deer, and there will be more in the future as long as folks don't take perfect shots.

Shooting the legal limit may be inviting, but me, I prepare for the worst possible outcome in my setup, then shoot to make the most perfect shots I can.

If you only prepare your setup for perfect shots, well, you'll find out I guess.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
No offense Ray but I don't know you and for you to assume that I haven't been around other hunters alot is  condensending, even a 50# or higher bow shot into a shoulder blade aint gonna be good. A bad shot is still a bad shot regardless of the weight of the bow.

I hit a small deer sqaure in the shoulder blade and watch her leave with my arrow 3 years ago. I was using a razor sharp grizzly and a 50# Martin Dreamcatcher. I ended up finding the arrow(the grizzly was actually twisted) about 75 yards away. I only got about one and a quarter inch of penetration.  And yes I have learned to wait on the perfect shot. That is a part of the maturation process.

If I just wanted to take any shot at a deer and not wait for the perfect shot I would use a rifle and blow through the shoulder blades.

Most compound shooters I know use the lightest fastest arrow they can along with mechanical broadheads, so compounds and Trad bows imho cannot be compared. I have also learned that a heavier arrow will out penetrate a lighter arrow.

My best friend shoots wheels and he, his brother and a group of our friends went to Illinois last year and it is sad to say they came home with sad stories, I attribute to bad hits, light arrows and mechanical broadheads.

As a side note that little deer did fully recover I have pics of her on my trail cams every year since and have even had shot opporutinies on her but she gets a free pass. She is easily recognized by the 4 inch scar she carries.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©