3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smooth and fast bows  (Read 688 times)

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
Smooth and fast bows
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
I just got into traditional archery and bought a few Black Widow bows that I'm really happy with. They are smooth, fast, and seem to be very forgiving (more so than I can shoot:). Anyways, what other companies make recurves that are right there with or better than BW?

My reason for asking is I keep hearing a lot about Morrison Cheyennes and Blacktail Snakebits and am considering buying one of them. Give me feedback, please.

Let's hear it guys!

Bob Gibson
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smooth and fast bows
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
RER bows make a static limbed recurve that is very quick, very smooth and very quiet. I have a 54" Arroyo and a 58" XR recurve and they both are some of the best all around performers I have shot. Morrisons are great bows as are Blacktails and  RERs and lots of others but ya really need to try them for yourself as like anything all the ones I mentioned may not be for you.  Shawn
Shawn

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Dryad Bows (on our sponsor list) has the Orion Recurve, also a static limbed recurve.  Very smooth, fast , and quiet.  Mike and Jason should be leaving to elk hunt for a couple of weeks, but they can answer any questions.  A really good value as well.  You can do a "search" on the Pow Wow for "Dryad Orion", and check out their website.  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
SCHAFER SILVERTIP!!! silky smooth i have a 56#@29 and it doesnt feel like it ,i could pull 10 more pounds ..
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Brackenbury Quest Recurve....The best of the best !!!
Go Terps

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. And John, I already have a Schafer on the way. Ordered it from Beth at Schafer yesterday    :thumbsup:

Shawn, I'm not familiar with RER bows but will check them out.

As for the Dryad fatman, not too familiar with them either but will do the same.
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Robertson Stykbow.  Dick has been making them since 1978 and you won't find a better bow!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Yeah, I've heard good things about Robertson as well. I guess I should consider them as well.

Brack, I've never heard of Brackenbury bows but when I went to their website, I was very impressed with the looks of the Quest. What I REALLY like is the deflexed riser option on the Quest. I tend to like more deflexed risers, not really for any reason other than the forgiving brace height. Generally speaking, a forgiving brace height and speed have always been an oxymoron of sorts.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Bobg, that is why I said ya have to search and check out a bunch. I have owned over 100 bows in the last 12 years and RERs float my boat, but Robertsons and Bracks and Schafers are all great bows too. I will add this, for me it all comes down to the grip. If I can get the bowyer to copy my present grips than I could shoot the bow well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Hummingbird Kingfisher is with out a dought one of the smoothest drawing and easy to shoot recurves that I know of , very forgiving . Check them out you wont be sorry  www.hummingbirdbows.com

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
There are so many but here are the ones I have personally shot that IMO fall into you description.

Morrison, Centaur, Dale Dye's bows, RER, Black Widow, Palmer, Bob Lee, Fox, Blacktail, Thunderstick, Brackenbury, Dryad, Black Swan, Thunderhorn, Shrews, Zipper, and some I know I am failing to mention.

Your best bet would be to go to one of the big shoots and try out as many as you can.

CS

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
I gotta spout off a bit about my Shrew Classic Hunter.  56", and SMOOTH-AS-SILK allllllllll the way back to 32".  Bow litterally gains 2.5 pounds per inch from 27" to 32".  Gregg built me a masterpiece!

And at 60#@32, it throws a 675g arrow 168 fps.

But - you got to find what is right for you.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Where are the big shoots where you can demo all of the recurves (or at least most) that you mentioned? I live near Winchester, Virginia. I would LOVE to go to a big shoot.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Bob,  You need to try and make it to a shoot here in Virginia. Make sure it is a Trad shoot. Dixie Bowmen and Sherwood Archers are two good ones to go to as is the Augusta Archers Trad shoot.   There will be lots of different bows there and most folks don't mind you trying them out.
  ATAR in West Virginia  is a Blast if you can make that one.
 Where at in VA are you located?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline cajnhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Like Chris Surtees said, there are so many the choose from. The Widow's are great shooters but a bit pricey. I personally like Bob Lee's, I have 2 recurves and a longbow and love them.
Black Widow PCH II 58" 57#
Black Widow PLV 64" 57#
South Louisiana, USA

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
BobW, I keep reading good things about the shrew bows. Seems as though the people who own them, love them.

BigRon, I live in a little town called Front Royal that is situated near the intersections of I-81 and I-66.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Maybe you can make some of the VA hunts.  We do a couple of group get togethers each year. Some camping is involved for most of em.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
HORNE'S Archery,, Smooth & Very Quick ...

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Buying a bow and being satisfied with athat bow is such a personal thing. One person may like one particular bow but that bow may not feel right to you. Its more about smooth draw, no stacking and grip. Try and attend ETAR in PA and you will have the opportunity to try out many of the top bows. When I say Top Bows I do not necessarily mean most expensive bows. My favorite bows are the Griffins made by John McCullough and they are in the middle as far as price goes.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Horne's huh? Haven't heard of them either. I have a lot of work to do checking all of these out.

BigRon, you'll have to keep me posted on the events and goingson with shoots and trips.

Bob Gibson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©