3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smooth and fast bows  (Read 686 times)

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smooth and fast bows
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
had my share of widows, yep...nice bows for sure.  now try a whisperstik.  fast smooth quiet.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Good point StickBowManMI. Kinda like choosing a woman, huh? What works for you may not work for others    ;)
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Whisperstik huh? I'll have to check them out. Don't see many of them used for sale. Must be a reason    :cool:
Einstein: It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Bob,
 I live down the road from you near Harrisonburg. I have a few bows you can try if you want to travel some. Have a RER, Blacktails, Border and a few others. The STAR and ATAR are the two best shoots in this area. Welcome to the addiction.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Tom,
It's amazing. I just got into traditional archery two weeks ago when I picked up an old Ben Pearson recurve and started playing with it on my dad's 3D range (He has a compound bow shop). Next thing you know, I ordered a couple of Black Widows (one for my father) and neither he nor I are able to lay down the recurves to shoot our compounds. Addiction is the right term. I even ordered him a Schafer for Christmas already. Yeah, I'm an addict.
Bob

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Got or had Robinsons, Morrisons, Whispersticks,Pronghorns, etc. But Favorite of all is My Toelke Whip. Quiet, Fast, shoots a heavy arrow and just feels great in the hand!!

Offline akalhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Have Rodney Wright Firehawk very smooth, fast and dead in the hand upon release.  Fine bow.
L Hunt

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
The habus are exceptional. I also really like my Rose Oak and Palmer and have an Assenheimer on order. Never shot one myself, but would also like to try a foley at some point.
BD

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
I have a Morrison, a Robertson and 2 Sleys... The Morrison is top dawg here.. I also have had a Pronghorn...  The Sleys are fastest, but the Morrison is near as fast and waaay smooth and easy to shoot..  The Robertson is a nice shooter, but lighter weight than the others.. It'l probly be my winter league bow.
Damn Nice guy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Of the better known recurve bows, I would say that Morrisons and Brackenburys seem to me to be at the top of the heap, but having said that, I have recently ordered a Shrew Classic Hunter that you can see is also very popular, although it is not a recurve, which you asked about. The comparable recurve to the Classic Hunter is the Shrew Lil Favorite and I will be ordering one of those soon too. I also have a couple of Blacktails that are very nice as well. I just don't like the higher grip on the ones I have, so I have ordered a Snakebit and will have Norm Johnson build it with a lower wrist grip. In addition, I own various bows (both recurve and longbow) by lesser known bowyers, some of which compare very favorably with the bows of the well known bowyers. No list of bows that are smooth and fast should omit the ACS CX longbow. It is very well made and looks good, but it is not as beautiful as most of the other bows I mentioned. One best buy bow that you definitely ought to consider is a Holm-Made which is created by Chad Holm, one of the sponsors of this site. My Holm-Made longbow is about the same speed and smoothness as my ACS CX at the same draw weight but costs less than half as much. I have a longbow made by Harold Couch that is also very smooth but not quite as fast as many of my other bows. What it lacks in speed it makes up for in stability which allows me to shoot it very well. Same for a Troy Breeding longbow I have. I would join in the suggestion that you try out as many bows as possible and see what you like. Otherwise, in a recurve, you cannot go wrong with a Brackenbury Quest, a Morrison Cheyenne or a Blacktail (the Snakebit is perhaps the best looking bow ever built, but it is still just a dressed up Blacktail). I'm sure many of the other bows mentioned in this thread are great too, but I haven't shot them all, so I don't know.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Assenheimer recurves are very, very nice.  No hand shock, smooth draw and quick.  I shot a RER at Denton Hill this summer........very impressed.
The work praises the man.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
I, like you, like the BW's,have two,  but one bow I havent seen mentioned here is the Quinn Stallion. I have one of those and it is very smooth, fast, easy to tune and shoot. IMHO, this is one of the most underated bows on the market, especially for the price!
samuel koger

Offline recurvist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
my all time favorite ..1990 model brackenbury Drifter ..complete with Jims signature ...shot lots of bows over the 18 years but, this has to be the tuffest ,smoothest ,sweetest of them all..and still the bow I hunt with!!!
" Aim small, ..Miss small " The Patriot.

Offline bobg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
Lots of bows listed, some of which I have heard of and some I haven't. Leaves me a lot of research to do finding out about some of these bows. Thanks so far for the input guys. Keep it coming. I enjoy the feedback.
Bob Gibson

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
Border Black Douglas Swift
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
Jack Kempf....Stealth or Kwik Styk.......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
They don't have the "bling" of some of the high end customs but a Quinn Stallion will hang with the best of them.

If you don't mind a metal riser the Tradtech Titan (or any ILF style bow) with a set of the BF Extreme limbs is as fast and as forgiving as they come. They are also hands down the quietest limbs I have ever shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »
For a fast longbow, its hard to beat Jack Harrison's takedowns.

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Over the years I've owned close to 60 custom bow by most of the major custom bowyers and what I haven't owned I've shot at Denton Hill or other traditional shoots.

IMO NOTHING beats a foam core carbon limb for smoothness, speed and quietness. If you haven't tried a Win & Win WinEx, Samick Extreme BF or Morrison foam core limb do yourself a favor and shoot one before deciding.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »
What weight and draw length do you favor?

BTW, my husband was born in Winchester, and spent his early years in Front Royal. I am an hour east of you.

Killdeer  :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©