3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional does not equal "barebow"  (Read 479 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional does not equal "barebow"
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm curious as to when "traditional" archery became "barebow" archery. Seems like most all "trad" shoots are really barebow shoots.  Are there any shoots any more that have a classification for recurves/longbows with sights?It would be nice if some of the events like ATAR or ETAR would have a classification for bows with sights.

To me, traditional does not equal barebow.
I know, I know, I'm beating a deadhorse.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional does not equal "barebow"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
deadhorse ain't gonna enjoy that.

I never thought about it, but you've got a point. I guess the question would then be, are there enough shooters who use sights to make it worthwhile to generate another class in the competition? Of course, if there is no competition at the shoot (as is the case at Baltimore), or if you wish to limit your sights to fun courses, or perhaps do a comp course with no scorecard, then you are not currently limited in your enjoyment of a shoot.

Perhaps posing your question here will generate a response or two from shoot coordinators, and from fellow "sighted" archers to get a feel for the support or concerns surrounding your desires.

Hope to see you again next year,
Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I agree. Yes, there have been some that I have gone too that have a classification for sights. ETAR has no classes. It is non competitive. It is just one big trad love fest.Jawge

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Tom, the IBO rules allow sights, etc. on longbows and recurves in some classes. The rules are somewhat complex... see ibo.org.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I shoot my Black Widow with a sight.  Tom, I agree with you 100%.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
What word means something to one person may not mean the same to another.Traditional archery is the minority in big shoots.The big shoots are driven by big money and the big manufacturers.Even a traditional bow with sights shooting off the shelf,would it be fair to shoot against guys with metal riser,elevated rests,foam core limbs and sights.Most of the shoots that are non competive,are that way because when ever there prizes or even just a trophy there will be cheating envolved unless there are rules set.Around here at most local shoots there is maybe 5-10 trad shooters compared to 100 plus compound shooters.To me barebow means a longbow only,shot off a shelf with no sights and shot split finger.Does it mean the same to another?

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I guess the question would then be, are there enough shooters who use sights to make it worthwhile to generate another class in the competition?
You might be surprised how many people would choose to use a sight if the class existed for it.

Many people are just not willing to push and issue, they just find it easier to go with the flow.
  :campfire:  

Lenny

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
I believe that bare bow traditional archery began about 10,000 to 12,000 years ago. It can still be traditional today with sights. That is a personal preference. I don't believe anyone will argue that. Most of us traditional shooters enjoy the challenge of shooting without sights. Sights are not necessary to be able to shoot well. Concentration and consistency are necessary!
   I don't feel an unfair advantage when shooting with folks with any equipment that they want to shoot with. I don't compete with them, I compete with myself...for a good clean kill shot. I always buy a score card to support the shoot but very rarely do I keep score. I score myself and my arrow flight and eventual placement in the kill zone. I use the situation to practice for the real thing.           Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
It takes awhile for history to repeat itself. Here in the Northeast part of the country, sights were on probably 7 out of every 10 bows in the 60's and 70's, and yes...I mean recurve bows.  I don't know any longbow shooters that ever used sights though, but there weren't many of them around back the either.  I was an oddball who didn't use sights on my recurve.

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
we have those classes around here. Well at least for recurve we do . It's either aided or unaided. Releases and sights fall under aided.

No such class for longbow and in a sanctioned shoot longbow is to shoot wood arrows or they fall into a "guest traditional class"

Primitive bows have NO attachments and must shoot wood arrows as well.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Pat, in no way am I implying that those who shoot recurves with sights should shoot competitively against those without sights.  That would be equivalent to me shooting my FITA recurve against the compound guys...which is what happens at most of the local shoots I've attended.

What I would like to see is a class at places like ATAR, or wherever there's trophies or prizes being awarded, for folks shooting recurves or longbows with sights.  I mean, they have classes called longbow, recurve, primitive, ladies longbow, ladies recurve....all under the main classification as "traditional" (which really should be called "barebow")...why can't another class for "traditional w/ sights" or "traditional aided" be created at these shoots also?
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Whats so bad about shooting a long bow with sights against a recurve with sights?
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
All of the shoots around here won't even let you shoot if you have sights on a bow. I am not saying I agree with that. That is just how it is.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Personally I don't see the issue if a person wants to use a traditional "wood" recurve with a sight against someone with an ILF riser, elevated rest, and sight.  To me they are both the same monster, one just looks different.

I've routinely shot my "hunter" class compound against guys with the 3' stabs and Vbars, scopes, and lincoln log arrows.  When competing against the average Joe, my scores were on par if not better in some shoots.  Against the pros, well, they're pros for a reason.  Why would a recurve or longbow be any different?  

I have sights on almost all my recurves, and I enjoy using them for quick target ranging.  The guys and gals that can shoot without them, my hat's off to you - that's incredible in my eyes.  

I like the idea of a traditional aided and unaided group system.  Off the shelf with no sights on an aluminum riser is no different than a woodriser at that point, and limb material should have no effect on classifications, IMO.

Put a sight or elevated rest on either, and you're in Aided.  Simple as that.
Support the sport!

Offline Mark Hedges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by wihill:

Put a sight or elevated rest on either, and you're in Aided.  Simple as that.
I would not go that far.  To me a sight is a much bigger equipment change than an elevated rest.

Mark

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Tom, the IBO rules allow sights, etc. on longbows and recurves in some classes.  
Only if you shoot in the compound classes.

Steve

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
IBO discontined the recurve aided(sighted) class in 1996...a good friend of mine won the last worlds in that class.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Wihill, I don't really see how someone who uses an elevated rest, but no sight, should be in the same class as someone with a sight.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Im all for anyone having a catagory for what they like, but Im happy they have classes with none of sights, rests and releases.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Back in the day, as I recall, there was a "war" between the field archers and the hunter classes (barebow and bowhunter).  The field archers shot competitively with sights, stabilizers and more and they shot round targets in a field at longer distances.  

The club I was a member of forbade the use of sights, string walking and face walking in order to keep the field archers from getting in and taking over the club, which had reportedly happenhed time and again back then.  I was just a few years too young to understand all of the politics of the time, but I know there was a turf war going on and it ruined several area clubs.

I think it is simply a game and the home team gets to make the rules.  If you don't want to play by their rules, you have to find another game or get together and make your own game.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©