3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climbing stands  (Read 216 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Climbing stands
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I usually use climbing stands, but this being my first year with trad I realized I can't shoot my longbow or any recurce out of my climber cause it has a rail. I am thinking of buying a relativly cheap climber that is open in the front but still has rails on the sides.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of stand? Can you still get a shot off with that rail there? I'm guessing that the only shot you could make is a shot directly in front of you, or slightly right or left depending on which hand is your dominant. And are they harder to climb with since you don't have that rail to sit on?

Thanks
Zack
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climbing stands
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I killed a deer out of my gorilla greyback climber last year...it has the enclosed frame/rail...also hunt out of a buckshot stand with the rail...haven't had any issues shooting a bow out of it...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Shot longbows and recurves many times from a climber with a rail.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
all the deer i have killed with a bow have been with a climber. The first one i used didnt have a rail on the front. Ya just have to pay attention-especially if you are use to sitting on the rail.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
My Summit had a sit n climb feature where you could lower the rail but I found that it took to long to go up the tree with the sit part so I was using it like a hand climber. Anyway, I found I could just put the bow out over the rail and be fine. I sold the Summit though and now have a Lone Wolf hand climber.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I too do not like shooting stickbows out of treestands with a front rail.  I have an Ole' Man Grand Vision that is probably the best climber out of the stands I have owned and I cannot use it with my longbow.  If I was to return to tree stand hunting, I would use a stand without a front rail.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
I have a summit bushmaster. No rail in the front but it does have ones on the sides. As long as you pay attention to your limbs while shooting to the side you will be fine. I plan to buy their newer model, the openshot, because it dosen't have rails on the sides.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou climber, no rails.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Users currently browsing this topic: