3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow tiller and ups and down kicks/groupings  (Read 888 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
bow tiller and ups and down kicks/groupings
« on: February 27, 2007, 02:29:00 AM »
Ok, this is the 2nd bow that's giving me fits with a high kick.  I'm wondering how tiller affects this.  I'm going to go back through my old bows and take some hopefully good measurements as I can never seem to get a similar measurement when checking tiller.

I bought this bow used and cannot get a response back from the previous owner if it was tillered for 3 under or split.   The last bow was built for me and was built for split.   That bow ended up dying (cracked) and is no longer.  

What in sam heck is going on with this high kick.  I can see it in flight with feathered shafts, group testing is not working very well or maybe I'm just to flustered to see it.  

HELP!    ugg...........

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow tiller and ups and down kicks/groupings
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
May be your nocking point? Hap

Offline shantam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »
first idea,nockpoint.
tiller for 3 under,equal tiller.
split finger 3-5 mm difference.
shantam
bowbuilding is fun

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »
naw, been playing with nock points.  This isnt the first bow this has happened too.  The odd thing is I have two bows I can shoot.    Gonna check tiller on them vs the last bows.  See if there's much of a difference.

problem is, of those two bows, one of those bows is cracked and now a wall hanger, the other is not comfortable to shoot, just a bit big for my midget paws.  It does shoot pretty decent though and I've considered it for this springs turkey trip.    

SO at this point I've been looking for a bow to replace it.  Now I dont know if it's the bow or me.........or both

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
anyone?  Someones got to be a bow builder here who knows the answer or if it's possibly the reason to high kicks?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
You might try getting a cheap stick-on arrow rest (or just jimmy one up temporarily), and put it on the bow maybe a half-inch above the shelf.  Not that you want to use it, just for a test.  See if you can get the bare shaft to fly correctly off the rest, or at least see if the tail-high condition gets better or worse.  If the tail-high goes away, then the bow is not tillered to shoot from the shelf.  So then you would know it's the bow and not your shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
I'll give it a shot, hopefully I can find one locally lol.  The joys of living in the middle of nowhere  ;)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
AkDan, if you can get field tips amd broadheads grouping togetther it should go away.I've had a horrible time with that in the past also.I was moving NP too far at a time and passing the right spot up.Move only 1/32" at a time.I also found that if your spine is not close to correct to begin with it adds to the problem.Don't know if that helped or not ,but there's my two cents.PS:I also seem to have better results with cock feather in and slightly down.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I doubt it's the tiller.  Lots of folks are shooting bows tillered for three under with split fingers.  Usually they just have to nock a little higher.  That's where I'd look first.  Too low or too high can cause the arrow to jump/flip.  More times than not, a too low rather than a too high nopk point is the culprit.  I'd start by raising the nock point -- a lot.  A low brace height can accentuate the problem.  That would be the second place I would look.  Crooked nocks, bad form.  There's a hundred other things it could be.  Just have to eliminate them one by one.  It is frustrating, but one learns a lot by doing it.  Good luck.

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
AKdan...what is the bow? I have seen an off tiller   affect arrow porposing considerably! But usually the tiller has to be so far off that you can feel it during the draw. (you may feel the bow tilt forward or backward when drawn) Sometimes a bow will not show an off tiller at brace height (when you can look at it), however when the limbs are drawn, they may react in different ways. The best way to tell how your bow draws is using a tiller tree. That way you can stand back, and see the actual arrow path during draw and release. Ofcourse, your tree has to be set up properly with the pully attatched exactly where your middle finger lies on the string. If you need me to post a pic of my tree, let me know. LittleTree

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Well talked to the bowyer tonight.  This might have all been in vein lol.  Doesnt answer why the last bow had the same results, but it appears this one being one of his older bows, was tillered for 3 under.   The new bow should be done here first part of next week.   Be prepared for the next install ment  :) !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©