3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First strut pic of the year  (Read 1309 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
First strut pic of the year
« on: February 27, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Last year my first strut pic was Mar 14, this year Feb 27. Heard gobbling this morning too

this jake was strutting in the back yard sorry about the pic I took it thru the deck railing

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First strut pic of the year
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Notice the red white and blue head on this jake. That white "snowball" on top is easily seen when turkey hunting

as compared to the grey head of this bearded hen

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
The hen actually has a much longer but thinner beard than the jake, but both are legal birds during the spring season here in Ohio

It's estimated that 5% of the hens grow beard.  Seems to be about right. This flock has probably 60 hens in it and 3 have beards.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
I have been seeing them strut for about 2 weeks now down here.Just last week though they started strutting for hens,the week before was just the boys out strutting for a position in the pecking order.However none of them are as close as the ones in your pics!
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Great pics Mickey. Haven't been able to get out myself yet, but my domestic 2yr old started gobbleing last week. Last year throughout the wild turkey breeding season, he gobbled alot in the morning. When the wild turkey breeding season seemed about over he was alot quieter.
I don't have any wilds close to us so it wasn't like he heard them and then got quiet when they did. He did, however call in a hen a couple times!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Mickey,

We can always count on you to get us fired up two months before the season gets here!  :banghead:  

Oh well, I've learned over the years that anticipation of the hunt is  part of the whole hunt process. As always, thanks for the "Heinz Catchup" moment.   ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Those birds are teasing me from Ohio Mickey, something about that just isn't right.......

Seems like I've seen one of those bearded hens before....oh yeah, her beard and fan are on my wall now.  :bigsmyl:  

Neat pics...

David

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Mickey,

You know they are just coming to your house to gobble their goodbyes before the season starts.  I wish it weren't true but you have a record with these birds....

You can come to the mountains of VA and hunt them with me if you want.  My birds only move to the other side of the ridge.

Thanks for the pics!
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
I've been watching a flock of about 25 or so and they haven't started strutting yet. From the distance I'm viewing from, I can't tell if they are all hens or a few gobblers mixed in.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Mickey,   have you ever figured out where they disappear to when season opens?

Joe

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Ray, in the next few weeks I should have alot of pics to get you fired up. LOL

Forester..may have to take you up on that someday! Sounds like fun. How far are you from the Ohio border?

Joe..nope. One of these dyas I'm going to follow them. Problem is I don't like to trespass and once they leave my land I can only see them so far. I imagine they go up to some fields on the next ridge someplace.

David..  :bigsmyl:  ..I remember it well...hey can you post a pic of you with that hen?

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
I seen some strutting last week here in Wisconsin. I hunt April 18-22

Good luck to all
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Bring it on Mickey.  I usually get to Gallipolis in under 3 hours from my house - and that is having to drive through WV.  I don't have the birds in my yard but it's a 20 minute walk or 4 minute drive to any of three farms that run up the mountain.  On the ridge begins several thousand acres of National forest.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Nice pics, Looks like their right in your back yard. LOL
TGMM

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Great pics. Where's your snow at though?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Vermonster..snow is gone (at least for the time being). Heck my younger brother and I rode our motorcycles today. It's a balmy 39 degrees out LOL

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Great photos Mick...I love those strutting toms. I have 4 toms lurking behind my home in the orchard. Seen them the other day when I was chasing bunnies. Won't be long now......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Here she is Mickey...

Brings back some pretty good memories......thanks for asking.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Ahh yes, beautiful bird taken with a special bow! Great picture David.   :thumbsup:

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
We still have about two feet of snow in the Finger Lakes of New York. I thought you guys in Ohio got blasted like Buffalo. The birds around here are a long way from strutting and we're all envious!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©