3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Bow-Wood Arrows? Frustrated!  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Red

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Bow-Wood Arrows? Frustrated!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I get my wood shafts from Paul at Elite Arrows. It took me some time to find the right spine but now I can shoot the same arrows on 3 different bows. Paul actually sent me a bunch of test arrows to try. The quality is top shelf and price is very fair. I don't like to shoot my carbons anymore. Same as Tim stated previously, wood arrows just feel better.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm suprized that not 1 person has asked what type of fletching jig/clamp you use.

I have not shot anything but wood arrows for the last 7 years or so (with the exception that THIS year I hunted with re-fletched aluminium XX75s that belonged to a friend of mine who passed away in Sept.) and I have NEVER had a problem with poor arrow flight,(grouping is another story but THAT is MY falt LOL)

First let me say that I do not make my own arrows.I buy my arrows custom made from Joe Skipp at Renegade Archery.Joe is a sponser here on TradGang.

Joe uses Bitzenburger fletching jigs with a VERY pronounced helical twist (I'm not possitive but I believe it's an 11 degree helical clamp) Joes arrows spin like a top and fly like a bullet!!!!! Also,I have NO problems with windplaneing broadheads.I use 2 blade Zwicky Eskimos and old green Bear Razorheads without the bleeder blades and I mount them horizontaly,they do NOT windplane at all.

Also,not all of my arrows are perfectly straight LOL.I buy a couple dozen arrows a year from Joe and right away the new arrows get stuffed into my backquiver.I try and use "newer" arrows for hunting,and after the dozen new arrows gets thinned out from being lost or broken the remaining arrows get stuck in a 5 gallon bucket for stumping and 3-D shoots.By the time my arrows are ready for the "graveyard" some of them are about as straight as a corkscrew,BUT they fly as "straight as an arrow" from the day Joe makes them till the day they die!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I say with a 30" shaft and 55#s at 29"s ya should shoot 70-75#s as ya normally add 10-12# of spine fro a high performance LB and than another 5#s for every inch over 28"s in arrows length. I had a proto-type PL and it was 51#s at 28"s (I draw 28"s) and I shot 29" Sitka spruce shaft spined 65-70# with 125 grain head and it bareshafted perfect. Go to arrowsbykelly(foxfire traditional archery now, but same old web address. Tracy has some greta wood and his spine charts are right on the money. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©