3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: deer bedding areas: how do I use this info?  (Read 739 times)

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
deer bedding areas: how do I use this info?
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Hi Gang:
Now that northern MA finally got some snow, I have been out on weekends, hiking the area I hunted last fall, looking for deer trails, etc.

I am really focused on getting a deer out of this area, and wondering how you successful hunters use bedding info to your advantage?

In fact, I see TWO different types of sign: the first is clearly where the deer lay down.  The shape of the body is easily discernable, etc.

The second is where it looks like the deer pawed up the snow to get to the vegeation underneath.
Particles of leaves, etc., are brought up, etc.

Is the second scenario where deer might be standing around feeding on what is under the snow?
Do they paw up the ground where they sleep?

And finally, how can I use this info to my advantage?  The locations of these areas appear to be random, and spread throughout the woods.

Any suggestions?  It's Feb, and I'm getting ready for November!
(sorry the question is a bit vague!)
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: deer bedding areas: how do I use this info?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
I what I have found is that deer bed, stage, and feed. What this means is that deer bed in a certain area, when it's getting close to low light they move closer to feeding areas (staging areas) and then out to feed and the same going back. You know where the beds are and probably the staging area (scrapped up ground). If you can figure where they go from there to feed, you have a good ambush point. try to find funnels that the deer will move through and set up a stand or blind. good luck and good hunting.

Nick

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Exactly what Nick said...only other thing to keep in mind is the wind. Try a set up closer to the bedding area than the feeding area...a natural funnel or choke point. Try your best to keep the wind in your favor....so that it carries your scent away from where the deer are and travel. Get there early, andhave a lot of patience.
Another thing to remember is that it is the winter now, and the deer trails used next November might be a lot different than the ones you are finding now. Try to figure out what they eat when you hunt them...acorns, browse, etc. Good luck....shoot straight.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
I also find deer will bed in different places in the winter than the summer.  Sometimes they will bed where there's sun exposure for the warmth which they won't do in the summer.  Keep that in mind too.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Remember to back track the deer also.Then make note of how they enter the areas you are consentrating on.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Rich: Where in NH are you?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Good info above. IMO, "bedding areas" can be quite large, i.e. a swamp vs. a specific spot. But within that swamp will be the areas they prefer to bed. And yes, it varies with season & wind & hunting pressure and other stuff. I must add that deer often vary bedding behavior with food availability, or in areas that aren't really what you'd think of as bedding areas. Example: they may bed very close to, if unpressured, a field when it's ready, but move on when it's done. But as you hunt, you'll learn to recognize these.

I hunt woods, not farm areas, and I'm often setting up pretty close to bedding areas. I do so knowing too much activity will move deer outta sight pretty quickly, so I rotate stands, hunt the wind (always), and since I don't hunt fields or food plots, I hunt almost exclusively during the relatively short rut. Doe bedding areas (thick) and travel routes near them along water, drainages, or swamps are often great rutting spots as does are pushed by bucks. That's where I hunt probably 95% of the time I'm out.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
I would look at your area for the food sources and hunt those.  When one wears out they will move on to another one.  Then when the rut is on I would still hunt the food and pay more attention to the does.  Hunting the does during the rut is the best way to see bucks.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Great info, guys, as always!
Bill: I'll P.M. you, I can't figure out how close you and I are to each other.
Thanks all,
Rich

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
As noted above, the places deer stay and the routes they take change due to time of year, where the food is, wind direction, etc. However, there are some constants that you can use to help you decide what to do.

Deer move from bedding to staging to feeding areas in the evening and then the reverse in the morning. So, in the afternoon/evening hunt nearer to the area that they are feeding in for that time of year and catch them as they enter. Use the suggestion of finding a funnel or other terrain that channels their movement.

For the morning hunt set up closer to their bedding areas to catch them as they come back there from their evening/night of feeding. Don't set up in the feeding or bedding areas, but rather about 50-100 yards before you get there so that you don't spook the deer as you walk in.

ALWAYS WATCH THE WIND and let it dictate the route you take to and from your stand.

Hope this helps,

Snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©