3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serving problems..  (Read 251 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Serving problems..
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I wrap my servings tight but the one on my longbow streing right now always gets spaces in it. It's always at or near the nocking point. Right now it's under my dental floss nocking point, I mean you can't see it unless you take the floss off. Do you think it has something to do with the wax in the floss.
Either way it's really bugging me.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline BR549

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serving problems..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
It sounds like you have wax on your string befrore you serve it.
"Did you see the size of that chicken?"

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Get yourself some Liquid-Lox from Brownell, and you will never have this problem again.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Wax on the string won't cause the serving to separate, I would guess you might be serving in the wrong direction, try wrapping the other way.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Agreed, its not the wax. Adjust your tension on the server to snug. each wrap will lay right along side the next.It shouldnt seperate later.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I didn't know there was a wrong direction to serve a string. I already have it snug, but maybe not snug enough...I'll try the liquid-lox too.
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I agree.  Wrap the wrong direction and your fingers loosen the serve every time you shoot.

For right handed bow.

Lay bow in your lap with the top limb to the left and the window facing you.  Wrap from left to right coming over the top towards you.
Damn Nice guy

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I wrapped it with the bottom limb to my left and the window facing away, and wrapped from left to right going over the top away from me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same thing?
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
That is the same thing......   Get the Liquid-Lox, and be done or tighten the tension on your serving jig.  I serve in any direction, and have for 40 years, and never have this problem.  My guess is you are serving it too loose to start.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Here's the deal on the serving. When you twist your string to shorten it the serving should be served so that as you twist the string the serving tightens instead of loosening up. Serve it in the opposite direction that you twist it in order to shorten the string. Most string stretch over time so at some point you will need to adjust the string length. No matter how tightly you serve it it will loosen up if you serve it in the same direction you twist it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bakes168:
I wrapped it with the bottom limb to my left and the window facing away, and wrapped from left to right going over the top away from me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same thing?
Yes same thing.  Did you mention the serving material you are using?
Damn Nice guy

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
Isn't it funny how you get 8 different answers from 6 different guys.

Here's another. With the bow strung at brace ht., unstring it and take 6 twists out. Restring the bow. Serve it up so the serving twist is IN THE SAME direction as the string twist. Restring the bow putting the 6 twists back in the string. This will keep the serving tight at least until it wears out.

It does not matter if you go L to R or R to L as long as the twist is in the same direction as the string.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Fowlarcher: I've been making stings since 1955. IMO and based on the hundreds/thousands of strings I have made you've got it wrong. I learned this from the NY State Field Archery champion back when I was in high school. It's the reason why so many commercial stirngs have loose servings....served in the wrong direction.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Bill,

I think you and fowlarcher are more or less saying the same thing, and you're both correct.

When I make an endless string, I actually reverse twist it prior to serving.

For example: If 0 = no twist, and +12 = the final twist in the finished string, I serve with the string at -12.

In that case, you want to serve agaist the twist (-12) so that the serving will tighten when you twist it back to straight (0), and then continue twisting to shorten the length (+12).

With a flemish string, you can't reverse twist is past zero or it'll come apart since the twists actually hold the string together. In that case, you serve with the twists so that the serving tightens as you further twist the string to get the correct length.

For example: 0 = no twist, and +24 = the final twist in the string, I serve with the string at +12.

I hope that made sense. It's one of those things that's easy to show, but not so easy to explain in writing.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Stringdancer is right , i had the same problem till i found liquid lox
Bull

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Hattrick:
If liquid lox is the answer, why is it that those of us that have been making strings for many years don't have a problem and don't use the product. All that Liquid lox is, is a fix for doing it incorrectly. Just one more gimmick to buy.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Hey, listen to Bob, you don't need the Liquid Lox. Your serving is simply uncoiling from your release/string roll off the fingers and the solution is to serve in the opposite direction. Simple as that. ART B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©