3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stone points  (Read 2266 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stone points
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Ferret, try this book:  "Flint fra Danmarks oldtid" by Peter Vang Petersen, ISBN 87-14-29268-8

Give me a couple minutes and I'll post some pics from the book.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »

Here's the business end of an arrow from the Danish Neolithic.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Maybe Bue can provide a translation of the caption:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Here are some other arrowpoints those folks made.  These are specialized flakes made from a core and are mostly unretouched.  All that just means they're as sharp as they come.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Very cool thread!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Maybe Bue could help again.  I assume that's a human sternum.  Man, you talk about heartburn...  It wouldn't just be an itching and burning sensation, would it.  Criminy!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
If you look closely at that point you'll see that it has a triangular cross section -- very unusual, but they made some that way.  Wouldn't it be great to know why?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
Ferret, I know this is WAY more than you asked for, but I'm rolling now.  GGG  Now this type point is counter-intuitive.  The leading edge is flat -- not pointed.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
And this style point is one of the most elegant and delicate things imaginable.  It appears that the top and sides of the shaft were lightly grooved to accept the point and then an adhesive was applied to lock it down.  Very cool.

Okay.  I'm done.  GGG
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Ranger3, my apologies for hijacking your thread!  I get carried away when this subject comes up.  I spend too much time alone in my garage beating on rocks, maybe.  ggg
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Interesting, wish I could read Danish. The 3 sided blade, a flint or bone Bodkin.Multi blade vs 2 blade = better bloodtrail...we are still having that argument ha ha.

The blunt was in all liklihood a small game or bird point

I love this kinda stuff.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
That wasn't a blunt -- the leading edge was sharp.  Wonder how it flew...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
The arrowhead in picture 42 is what I had in mind when I was thinking about making a 4 blade knapped head. You could either split the shaft to install the bleeder chip or knap the groove from the front back on the second "blade" and slip the two together.

My first thought when I seen the squared off points was tanto. Next I wondered if it was a tool rather than an arrow. Maybe they used those as small game blunt type heads like the Magnus small game broadheads. Maybe they are early versions of nutters.   :)  

Pretty cool stuff!

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
i have some of the obsidain blade blanks james parker knocked off a core to make the antler/obsidian point.  these things are so sharp you have to be very careful just picking them up.  i've cut myself several times just moving them around.  i'll try and post a pic of the tonight.  hoping to build a couple antler/obsidian points to take hog hunting this spring.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
i forgot to add that james showed me the point after he shot it through the shoulder blade of a buck.  the point held together better than i thought it would.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Yea Woody I didn't meant blunt in the strictest sense of the term, I just meant a small game/bird point VS a big game point. Some shock along with cutting would not be a bad thing. Sort of like the 38 cartridges with the steel banding in them people use on rabbits and squirrels. Actually I don't imagine it flew bad at all, being small.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Mickey, in that same book is a drawing of a burial with several of those "blunt" points scattered around the body.  I wonder if they were imbedded in the body or if they were grave goods.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if there were still somebody around to ask? Lessons lost!

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Ferret,

Lessons are never lost, just misplaced. It gives us something to do trying to find them. LOL

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Knife river, no problem this very interesting. I just bought some points made from agate for hunting but I don't think they are sharp enough.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©