3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow - they don't come better than this - pic's  (Read 291 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow - they don't come better than this - pic's
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
For all you folks out there who haven't tried a Jim Jones' Firefly yet - get your hands on one.  I cannot find the superlatives to describe Jim's latest creation.

Just a short history.  I Have been searching for one great bow for years now and it has cost me a veritable fortune getting them from the States into Australia.  Many were one-piece bows and each cost me nearly $200 just for the postage, plus our wretched sales tax and exchange rate.

I have lost count of the number of bows that I have had and consequently sold off.  Some have been good and many I have written good things about on here before.  However when I ordered a cheap entry level F/F about six months ago from Jim's stock bows - I knew I was holding something very special.

As time wore on instead of the shine wearing off as it did with all the others - I became more endeared to my F/F and started selling off the other bows.  I sold the new Bob Lee Elite, the gorgeous Fox Royal Crown, out went the Black Widow, the Hornes, the Toulkey Whip, the Martins the Renegade the Quest the Swan the Hall ............ I think you get the picture.

The only bows I have now are my little Turkey Creek (the style of handle does not fit me well but a beautiful fun bow to shoot) my original Firefly and the new one that arrived today.

I ordered the new one from Jim about three months ago and it arrived about one month ago.  It was nice but there were a couple of things that took the shine off the bow, as far as I was concerned.  There was certainly no wrongdoing on Jim's part - mainly because I am a pedantic perfectionist and very hard to please.

The grip was not exactly the same as my first F/F, the poundage was a couple of # too light and I did not like the matt finish.

I told him of my concerns and could not believe his reaction.  He told me to shoot it straight back to him and he would make me a brand new bow and pay the postage both ways to Australia.  How is that for great service - it does not get any better than that??  Particularly because he really did not do anything wrong and was not obliged to make me a new bow.  I would not let him pay the postage both ways but did take up his offer for a new bow.

This one is absolutely awesome - just does not get any better than this.  It is deathly quiet, the grip fits me like hot butter, it is very quick (exactly the same as my T/C - and they are well known for their speed), and most of all it satisfies my exacting eye - the finish and attention to detail are perfect.

The riser is Cocobolo, the limbs Tamo Ash with Zebrawood highlights she is 43# @ 28 (my draw is 29 1/2) and the cores are bamboo.

The thing that I really like is what Jim does with his limbs.  He has a reverse taper on the end that I have not seen used the same way before.  It makes for the smoothest pulling bow I have ever shot - but better than that - it really likes heavy arrows.

My T/C is the same poundage, but it has very delicate tips - more like a whippy fly rod.  It shoots fast too but the F/F really comes into its own when shooting heavy arrows.  The way Jim has set it up these bows are perfect for hunting.  I don't have a chrono to give any figures, but it smokes my heavy hunting arrows out even better than the T/C does.

One final thing - the price.  Most of my other top of the line bows were all around the 750-900 dollar mark.  This one blows them all away and only cost $579 - awesome value.

Jim has been an absolute delight to deal with and is the very best of the best.  The other plethora of companies I dealt with over the years of this pursuit were a mixed bag, some terrible, most fairly ordinary and one or two good ones.  However none of them have come close to Jim Jones - he just absolutely bends over backward to make you happy.

Can somebody please put my pics up (Mike??) - I still haven't figured that out!

Sutto

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04793.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04795.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04796.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04801.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04806.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04813.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04821.jpg
 http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04824.jpg
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow - they don't come better than this - pic's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »
Oh yea - here is the link to his site  http://www.braveheartarchery.us

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:09:00 AM »

There you go, bud.  Nice looking bow.  You keep promoting them like that and I'll HAVE to try one...Mike

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »
Duuuuuuuude!! Sutto that is a beautiful bow, those Tamo Ash veneers are exquisite and the riser timber is awesome!!  :)

Im really glad it finally arrived I know you've been excited to get this one. Holy smokes you did good on the timber combo, I cant stop looking at the pics. Greats stuff all round especially with Jims customer service.

One question what style grip is that...looks like a high grip?

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
Sweet bow   :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »
Glad you found "your" bow, Sutto.  Hope the shine never wears off.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »
Thanks heaps Mike - I knew you would load them up for me.

Wow - I have just come in from shooting my new F/F and that is all I can say.  It just smokes my big heavy hunting arrows, is whisper quiet and I am driving tacks with this bow.

I guess the only this bow is so pretty I will have to take the plain Jane out on my hunting trips - would hate to scratch this bow.

Thanks for all the comments guys - really love this bow.

Sutto

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »
very nice!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
yes Matabele is a high wrist grip!

Sutto

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Looks great, Sutto! But heck, I still reckon you're a fussy bloke, as all your bows have looked pretty good! Now, it's getting nice and warm out in the desert, so go find a waterhole and introduce that magnificent Firefly to a feral goaty-oaty! Have a good one, mate! Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Yes you are correct I am a fussy bugger.  However it has all been worthwhile cause I have three keepers now and don't need to look anymore.

Yes I plan on giving Nick a buzz soon and we will get out there and chase some critters around.  I have been too busy at work for the last three months but have got on top of things so will take time for a bit of hunting soon.

sutto

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
If anybody wants to put some pic's of their F/F on here feel free to do so.  I would like to see what other combo's are around.

Sutto

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
You mean suttoman has finally found his bow!?
Doggonit, now how are the rest of us supposed to buy his used bows now....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Very nice! Congrats
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Jim's a top notch bowyer and person, and his service is the best there is.

Glad you got your perfect bow, now Mr. Jones can move on to the rest of us on the list!
 :thumbsup:

Beautiful bow Sutto
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline britts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Sutto, great looking bow. What length did you get for your draw length?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Great, Sutto. I've been following your search for a while now, and I'm glad you found your bow. Good luck with it!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
well I'm glad you like your bows looks.

But more importantly I'm glad you found THE ONE bow. I personally have always liked the idea of one particular bow that is yours and yours always. Hopefully you have a life long companion for the field.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Yes I really do have a companion with this bow lads.  Some of the other bows I have had I have been pleased initially, but there was always something that niggled at me and eventually it would get sold off.

However I have had Jim's basic entry bow here now for over six months.  Unlike all the others, the more I shoot this bow the more it amazes me.  I could have been happy with just that one basic bow it is that good, so you can imagine how stoked I am with this gorgeous looking creation.

sutto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©