3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sucess With shagie or other gillie suits  (Read 141 times)

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Sucess With shagie or other gillie suits
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »
Who has had sucess with their gillie suits I would like to hear some stories of close encounters on the grond one on one

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sucess With shagie or other gillie suits
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
I almost got ran over by a doe that busted my buddy set up on a trail about 150 yds away while wearing mt ASAT leafy suit. I bleated at her at 1 1/2 yds and it took her 20 yds to stop... We played peek a boo for over 20 minuutes, but she never spooked...

I made my own ghillie from instruction on the web, but modiifed for bowhunting and have many encounters with deer OTG...
sometimes i can honestly say it helps, but many times I think its overkill.. I think if you stay in the shadows and move slow, it helps a lil bit... but it still helps and I need all te help I can get many times...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Yesterday I had a fawn almost get in my lap.  Sorry devil snuck up on me while I was reading a book.  I softly cleared my throat AFTER "looking" around...... He exploded one way and I went the other.  You'da had to be there!  Me and the washwoman know for sure.   My Gilli worked!  He only backflipped and then stopped to see what happened.  Don't think he ever figured it out.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I've literally walked within spittin distance of many antelope... some of the best eyes on  the planet.

Have also fooled turkeys at very close range. Can't think of a better endorsement.
Here's a link to a story about using a ghillie for antelope... it's near the end of the thread.

OH NO...it\\'s snowing.  

I use the Rancho Safari Long coat.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
I also own the Rancho Safari ghillie. Used with great results.
I killed my largest buck of my life from the ground wearing it. I've had many deer within feet at "eyelash" distance.

Only downside is the coat is heavy and too bulky to stalk in. Until the weather cools off I leave it at home and wear my ASAT ultimate 3D. I really do become invisible to game wearing the Rancho Safari.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the stories Guys expect to use my Rancho Sufuri Gillie on some very hard hunted public land Whitetails and am hoping for success will keep you posted on how it turns out. Thanks to all who replied!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I've had turkeys inside of 5 yards from me that never knew I was there sitting on the ground.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Ol'school

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I was in Cabela's leafy wear and had just walked in to a stand in S. TX and was setting up my folding stool and making sure I had enough clearance for the bow around the cactus I was going to shoot over. Bent down to clear some cactus around my feet and when I looked back up there was a doe at 15yds with a funny look on her face trying to figure out the "dancing bush"
She kept looking up quickly every few min to see if it was dancing again, but she stayed between 15 and 25yds for 23 min. I was waiting on her boyfriend to show up, so didn't take a shot at her, but she gave me several opportunities.
"I may be getting older, But I hope I NEVER grow up!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©