3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Bow Opinions  (Read 577 times)

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand Bow Opinions
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
First of all I would like to say I really enjoy this website. I think this is one of the best websites for traditional bowhunting info. That being said this is my question.

I have always hunted deer from a treestand. About 3/4 of the time I use an oldman climbing stand. It is just about impossible to shoot a tradtional bow from this stand because of the seating platform. The lower limb hitting the platform. I would like some bow recommendations that would solve my problem. I know about and agree a longer limb bow is more forgiving\\stable. But if i cant shoot it its usless. I was looking at Bob lees 54" recurve, but I am curious if its such a good bow design why are they going to stop making them?

Well you see my delima and theres probaly some more folks who have the same problem. I need bow thats quiet and accurate at hunting ranges and short. I have taken 5 deer with longbows\\recurve but out of lockons. I did take one deer out of my oldman but at close to dark I lowered my seat way down so my limb to clear. Anyone with any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Bow Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
54" RER Arroyo, shooys like a 60+" bow and is very quiet and as quick as they come. Check them out at  www.rerbows.com    Very forgiving due to the static limb design. Shawn
Shawn

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Just use lockons,i have a lone wolf and if a deer doesnt get to the right spot your s### out of luck.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
On my place when the acorns are falling I like the versatility of a climbing stand. I own 2 and Ill leave it on the tree in a hot place. Its so easy to move. Lockons are great on food plots and funnels. But for me I like to hunt out of my oldman.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Take a look at the 56" Mojo from Whisperstik. JD Lund builds a heck of a bow, fast, quiet and accurate. I took mine up in my climber last week and had a hard time finding a shot it couldn't make.

http://www.whisperstikbows.com/
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Shrew...
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Methinks it's not a bow problem, but a tree stand problem.

It'd be cheaper to replace the stand. If you love that stand so much but it costs you shots at game... well, hmmmmm!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
No its not a treestand problem. Oldman treestand is great tool for my area. deep southwest al. hardwood swamp. Deer travel patterns are hard to pinpoint. May be hitting one white oak tree and 2 days later maybe another one. The stand lets me easily move my setup. Do have any deep south bowhunters out there that can relate to my area.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I had this problem on one shot on opening day this year. Quick fix, canter your bow more & lean in to your shot ( bend at the waist ). Worked for Me & I hope it works for You.

I'm shooting a 70" N2N self bow I made.

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbow59:
On my place when the acorns are falling I like the versatility of a climbing stand. I own 2 and Ill leave it on the tree in a hot place. Its so easy to move. Lockons are great on food plots and funnels. But for me I like to hunt out of my oldman.
I do the exact same thing with 2 ol'man climbers.  This will be my first year with my recurve hunting out of my climbers but I did practice shooting out of them this summer.  I need to have the stand facing the area the deer will travel and be in a standing position ready to shoot.  In 2 weeks I should have a better review of my escapades  :D
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
What length is your recurve? I have 2 longbows a 62" wildfork and 66" Byran Fergussen redhawk he made for me when I 1st got interested in trad. hunting. Theres no way the 66" works for me out of oldman.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
I shoot 64 inch r/d longbows out of my ol man climbing stand have never had a problem with the limb hitting the bar.

Like was said above cant your bow and bend at the waist also lower your top portion of the tree stand. I keep mine maybe 28- 30 inches above the foot portion of the stand. also with a good seat-of-the-pants harness you can lean w-a-y over the front of your stand
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
lone wolf loc-on & climbing sticks work for me...i can set it up as quick as a climber...if i use a climber, i prefer a sit and climb but then you have the problem you are talking about with the bar across the front.  i cant my bow when i shoot out of one of those & have no problems up to a 62 inch...it just seems to limit my shots though & that's why i prefer the loc-ons.  In my area, i have the same problem you are talking about when we have a good mast crop and need to move quickly.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
why not just set it with the top and bottom sections closer together when in the tree?

Then when ya stand up, the seat section is barely above knee height. Adjust the seat so its not too low in relation.

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I have actually killed a couple of deer out of my oldman shooting the 62" longbow. What I would do when it got close to dark I dropped my seat to the bottom and stood till end of light. But it would seem a short recurve would be a better tool? Plus I dont own a recurve a good excuse to buy one. LOL

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I use a treesaddle for most of my hunting now.  It offers me great mobility and no bars to fight (I've got a Gorilla climber that's very similar to your oldman climber).

That said, I make sure that I'm positioned so that my strong (bow) side is near where I believe the deer will show up - yesterday I had two show up on my non-strong side (release hand side), so I had to move the whole bow over my pivot point.  Not terribly difficult to do, but definately awkward.  My bow is 62AMO, but I'll be swinging by Merrill here shortly to try out a new 54" RER.

I have to laugh now when my buddies complain about they're 34" wheelies getting in the way of the bar...
Support the sport!

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Does anyone know why bob lee would discontinue the 54 recurve. This seems like it would make a good treestand bow. And I have read some good comments on tghe bow. So why discontinue?

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I have the Summit Viper SS climber and I can shoot out of it with my 64" Bear Montana, I just have to bend at the waist and lean way forward. My dad has the Summit Razor SS Climber with a bar up front that you can sit on to climb and when you get up high it fold under you and out of the way. I would be a cheaper option than a new bow and Summit makes great climbers.

I need to practice some more out of my climber...

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Try a 56 in. Fedora 560 T/D very compact and easy to shoot out of a stand for a cheaper alternative get a 54 in. Damon Howatt Hi-Speed I had one for 2 yrs. and very easy to shoot out of a stand, very quick and quiet aso.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Now your talking, do you really give up much with a short bow at normal hunting ranges vs longer limbs? I pull 27" by the way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©