3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: There's a fungus amung us....  (Read 582 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
There's a fungus amung us....
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Got out for a few short hunts in S central MO this weekend and yes I have chiggers for the last 3 out of 4 weekends (new record  :)  )

With all the rain the mushrooms were out. Thousands of them. Never seen anything like it.

Which ones make you sick, which ones kill ya and which ones make you see funny stuff   :)

More to come
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: There's a fungus amung us....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
"Some make you larger some make you small. The ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
And you've just had some kind of mushroom..
Go ask Alice!  :)  

Read the books, make your spore prints, keep a large bucket in the bathroom, map out the route to the ER, and keep your insurance paid up.

Killdeer  ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
don't eat the bottom one.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Any amateur mushroomologists out there or do I need to do the Google thing

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Many of the mushrooms I had never seen before. Also the numbers of them were amazing. A hillside was covered with these...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
The first ones look like shiitakes. Let me know if you end up in the emergency room. Then I can edit my post to one of dire warnings against eating mushrooms on the advice of some batty old lady on the internet.

Do the Google thing. Buy the Peterson Guide to mushrooms. Buy books on edible mushrooms. Do spore prints. The knowledge of which to eat and which to avoid came at no small price to the humans researching it. Some are easy to identify. Some have deadly (or verrry uncomfortable) lookalikes.

Killdeer   :campfire:  Practicing my editing...
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Top one of the third set looks like "deer horn" mushrooms you can eat the white ones but leave the brown ones, they make you more than regular  :eek:    :scared:

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I'll eat morels and hen of the woods but that's about the limit of my shroom eatin....

Takes a braver soul than I

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
If i remember correctly, you have the mushroom from super Mario up there (red with white spots), that should give you some enhancements lol =P

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
mushrooms worries me. i tried for a long time to learn about them but the deeper i got the less i realized i knew about them, decided id be better of being a better shot with my bow then relying on knowing which mushroom i could eat.
there are no deadly lookalike rabbits   "[dntthnk]"  unless of course you're unlucky enough to come across the holy grail rabbit from Monty Python     :D
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I'll warn you now. Never eat a mushroom with out at least 3 types of reference unless you know for sure what it is.  Other wise I like Killie's posts.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
the odd white fungus ones are likely hericiums, real good when new.
get "mushrooms demystified" and "all the rain promises and more"
both y the same guy.
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
My neighbors kid ate a mushroom once. He was red in the face and smiled for about two days.I think hes in jail now he did`nt stop with the mushrooms.RC

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Too many horor stories. It wasn't that many years ago that a whole family died after eating mushrooms they found in the woods. Of course someone with them "knew" they were safe... That family put the mushrooms in a spaghetti sauce.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
I never really did like mushrooms.....

Maybe that's why I'm still kickin'   :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Then of course there is the three time widower who third wife died by blunt trauma 'cause she wouldn't eat the mushrooms......    :)

Just a joke, take it easy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
At some white ones with pink gills underside in MT...they grew on the football field at the Helena H.S.... irrigated all summer...great pickins...

Some old lady in the Gallitin Notch used to tell us to eat just a fingernail size piece and sit quietly and wait and monitor how we felt...then in a couple hours, if all was well, try a larger bite...

After contemplating all that time and risk...I figured it was safer to buy the rascals unless they were them hideous looking Morel ones...them are easy! Alas, only ones of them I ever found were way past edible and smelled like ammonia..bit ripe!  :eek:    :D
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Whenever I hear "likely" safe thats not good enough. Mushrooms from the grocery store are good. There is hardly any food value to mushrooms so I'll only eat store boughts.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
I would not depend on any book to help identify an edible plant!!  :scared:  Took an edible foods class at Fall Creek Falls State park, the biggest thing I took from the course is how easy it is to make a mistake identifying fungas. Its best to find someone who is a pro at identifying edible shrooms and repeat picking from the same spot for your safety. The white ones you get from the grocery are grown in temperature controlled caves in the dark. You wont find that varietry anywhere in the woods. Be safe, mushrooms are'nt that expensive.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©