3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for bear hunters  (Read 287 times)

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for bear hunters
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
How quick does a grizzly die when stuck good with an arrow ? The other evening I was sitting on the edge of a swamp doing my cow moose call trying to get a couple of bulls to come out of the woods when a 7ft grizz came at me like a bee line threw the tall grass. Apparently my moose call is actually a bear call, anyhow I blasted him with my pistol instead of waiting for him to get within bow range. I guess the question is would they die before they ran over the top of you ? Or should you have your buddy behind you with some big iron?
Probably always a good idea.

Thanks, John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for bear hunters
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
You would for sure want a big bore gun with a good shooting buddy as a back up. Even a perfect shot will not put the bear down that fast. It could and will come for you before it dies. The only non gun back up grizz hunt I would consider would be a treestand hunt. Even then I am not sure I would do it...

They told me stories in British Columbia while we were stalking black bears. Grizzly bears scare me.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
You could carry a BIG knife,like my "Brother" adkmountainken   :thumbsup:

He carries some "big iron" on his belt LOL!!!!! and lots of it too!!!!!

(a HUGE Bowie and usualy a tommahawk or two)   :eek:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
i think that you could expect the same results out of a brown bear with a good hit as a large black bear if you take out both lungs bears die very quick.  i know a couple of archery kills on them that took seconds and then a few that took much longer.

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Muskoxman:
How quick does a grizzly die when stuck good with an arrow ? The other evening I was sitting on the edge of a swamp doing my cow moose call trying to get a couple of bulls to come out of the woods when a 7ft grizz came at me like a bee line threw the tall grass. Apparently my moose call is actually a bear call, anyhow I blasted him with my pistol instead of waiting for him to get within bow range. I guess the question is would they die before they ran over the top of you ? Or should you have your buddy behind you with some big iron?
Probably always a good idea.

Thanks, John
I wouldn't count on an arrow as a defensive weapon against a bear unless it was all I had. Figure how long it would take for the bears system to shut down from lack of oxygen, and then figure how much damage a bear could do to you before that happened.
 Did your pistol shot just scare him off, or did you drop him?
-Lance

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
lance,

My pistol knocked the crap out of him, he didn't make it ten feet. Just got done buthering him and found the bullet in the hind leg where it had shattered the femur, I hit him in the chest coming towards me so it traveled the full length of his body before it hit that bone. Of coarse it helps when your shooting a freedom arms 83 in 475 linebaugh pushin a 375gr hard cast bullet about 1400fps. The bullet still wieghed 327.
That pistols worth every penny !

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Better change your drawers while your at it.  :biglaugh:  If he only went ten feet, how far was that from you?  Way to hang in there and not panic.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
My dad told me that if I came face to face with a bear and didn't have a gun to just reach back and grab some **** and throw it in his face. Of coarse I had to ask what if I couldn't find any ****. He said, "don't worry, you come face to face with a bear, you reach back it will be there"
He wasn't close enough it was there, about 50 yrds.

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
John
The Moose call is my favorite BIG BEAR call! It really works as you found out. To answer your question on how fast they expire with an arrow, even with great shot placement never fast enough for me expecially when they are within 20 steps. A good guide will keep his clients between him  and the Bear LOL
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©