3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP! FIRESTARTING KIT  (Read 419 times)

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP! FIRESTARTING KIT
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
For those of you like me who want to do things as our ancestors-
I'm building a firestarting kit for my bowhunting adventures as I find myself a long way off the beaten path often.
I have made my char cloth in a tin over a wood fire, I have some flint but my attempts to make a C-striker have failed- Anyone know how to make a proper striker and where to get the steel to make one?
I did purchase some flat steel stock and held it over the fire, then quenched it but it will not produce a spark- any ideas?
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP! FIRESTARTING KIT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Whump sez; Try a piece of flat file--you need very high carbon steel and it needs to be hard as well as having a rough surface for what you are trying to do.The steel you purchased was probably low carbon and your attempt to harden it was futile do to the low carbon content---you  need tool steel for quench hardening--- a file has the qualities you are seeking already built in.  Good luck and don't catch the woods on fire. Hunt safe.   :campfire:

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Go to some Muzzleloading websites I am sure you can find the information there.  Or you can buy your steel at any on line Muzzle loader supply house probably cheaper than buying a file except for shipping.

Dan
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Mmmm ok I'm confused, I thought since you shave the steel with the flint( since the spark comes from the steel shavings not the flint) that a low carbon steel would work, according to my friend the stikers used in the early times were c shaped so i was trying to recreate one to fit in a shoe polish can with the flint and char cloth. I dont think I can fit a file in the can! My old buddy has two strikers but I couldn't talk him out of one! Just wanted the whole kit to be authentic and functional like his. I only start fires in camp but thought it would be a good addition to my survival accessories I carry while bowhunting, plus its really cool too! I know nothing about steel and metals in general so I figured this would be a good place to find out!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
a good friend of mine makes a lot of them, pm me and i'll give you his email, i'm sure he will answer and questions you have. i have had 3 of his, gave 2 as gifts and the one i use is made from an old file.

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Look at  www.trackofthewolf.com  for all the old fashioned accessories.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks! pm sent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Wow thanks for the link Kevin, lots of good stuff on there!

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I use the local Boy Scout supply ... The price is right too.
Damn Nice guy

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Try searching the 'net - I've seen a few how-tos to make your own strike-a-light...I know I even saw a video showing the forging and tempering process.

You want a high carbon steel, and you want it to be pretty hard. The softer the steel is, the easier the flint can shave off particles, but they won't be as hot. Rather than try to explain it, here's a good explanation I found:

The harder the steel is, the more difficult it is for the rock to tear little chunks out of it. To tear out small chunks of progressively harder steel, more and more energy is required. At some point, the energy required to pull a bit of steel from the face of the fire steel is so great that the steel is melted in the process, and a spark results. With a softer steel, slivers of steel can be cut from the face without generating enough friction to melt the steel. Little nearly-invisible shavings go flying, but no sparks are seen.
That was taken from the following link:  http://www.northwestjournal.ca/IX3945.htm
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
The Boy Scout steel works OK, but a quality steel from a blacksmith is typically quite a bit harder, and will throw hotter (and more) sparks.

Sparks from a good steel will still be burning when they hit the ground. And they will sting when they hit the back of your hand.

You can get good fire steels from Ragweed Forge or Black Bear Forge. I have a colonial (rattail) style striker from Black Bear that is my favorite of those I've tried. (I've tried a few, as it's been about 5 years since I lit a fire with anything but flint and steel.)

Todd, I have an extra steel I could send you.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I use a couple small sticks of pine "fat wood" and a mini Bic, is that flint and steel (with propane assist)?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Man I love Tradgang, it has never failed me and the people and wealth of information here are just absolutely priceless. Eric, I would gladly purchase the steel from you as I am preparing to move and wont have a chance to properly forge one plus I have no idea how to do it!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Heheheh yeah Shaun it is, and a lot easier I suppose but I've made nothing easy for myself in this life so I figured why start now!

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Todd, I'll send you a PM with my wife's email address. Email her with your address and I'll have her send it out to you within the next couple of days.

I'm having surgery tomorrow and will be in the hospital for a few days, but my wife will be able to send it out.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
THAT SOUNDS WONDERFUL, THANKYOU! Hope all is well and my very best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Righttrail,

If You want to get really authenic, do a search for fire strikers on ****. There are sellers on there which deal in authentic roman fire strikers used by the legion soldiers, and they are still in working condition. You can pick them up cheap, and you will really be working with a piece of history.( Talk about traditional!)   :thumbsup:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info, I've learned a lot and will soon have a complete kit!

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
I make them quite often in my forge from old files. You can also forge a file into a patch knife and striker if you like.
Wool the Natural Fiber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Man that sounds cool two uses in one! Wish I had a forge- gettin ready to move so I can't take on any new "projects" I've been collecting saw blades to try and make some knives and I probably could ruin a few of my old files.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©